Announcement: Tomasz Finc

Brion Vibber-3

Re: Announcement: Tomasz Finc

Al Tally
2008/7/29 Brion Vibber <[hidden email]>

> I am pleased to welcome Tomasz Finc as a new full-time software
> developer.

<snip>

> I am delighted that Tomasz is joining our team; please join me in
> welcoming him to the Wikimedia Foundation staff.

Welcome Tomasz!

--
Al Tally
(User:Majorly)

Re: Announcement: Tomasz Finc

Aaron Schulz
Welcome indeed!

Brion Vibber-3 wrote

Re: Announcement: Tomasz Finc

Chad
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Waerth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Welcome Tomasz,
>
> May the wiki be with you :)
>
> Waerth

Whoo! Another person to code review! :-)

Welcome aboard Tomasz.

-Chad

Re: Announcement: Tomasz Finc

Mohamed Magdy-2
On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 1:39 AM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am pleased to welcome Tomasz Finc as a new full-time software
> developer. Tomasz will start officially next week on August 4 in our
> San Francisco office.
>
> Tomasz is a systems and software engineer with more than 7 years of
> experience. He joins us from Amazon.com, where he administered and
> supported the Amazon.com A9 search engine, optimized production
> performance, developed automation tools, implemented C/C++ changes in
> the core search engine code, trained new hires, and fulfilled other
> duties. Tomasz is fluent speaker of both Polish and English.
>
> Tomasz will report to me and will work on general MediaWiki
> development, code review, systems and administration tools, and
> optimization. He will also initially help to support the San Francisco
> office.
>
> I am delighted that Tomasz is joining our team; please join me in
> welcoming him to the Wikimedia Foundation staff.

Sounds like a great addition. Welcome Finc!

--
--alnokta

Re: Announcement: Tomasz Finc

KIZU Naoko
Welcome aboard :)

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 7:39 AM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am pleased to welcome Tomasz Finc as a new full-time software
> developer. Tomasz will start officially next week on August 4 in our
> San Francisco office.
>
> Tomasz is a systems and software engineer with more than 7 years of
> experience. He joins us from Amazon.com, where he administered and
> supported the Amazon.com A9 search engine, optimized production
> performance, developed automation tools, implemented C/C++ changes in
> the core search engine code, trained new hires, and fulfilled other
> duties. Tomasz is fluent speaker of both Polish and English.

--
KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: Announcement: Tomasz Finc

Magnus Manske-2
Welcome, and happy coding!

Magnus

Re: Announcement: Tomasz Finc

Tomasz Finc
Many thanks for the very welcoming reception! I'm thrilled to be
joining such an enthusiastic
and energetic community that I'm sure will teach me lots.

Just to round out a bit about me. When not in front of large and crazy
clusters of systems or open source
software, I can be found tumbling and flying in the air at the circus
training in aerial arts or hanging on for dear life climbing
mountains. Currently live in San Francisco and can still remember how
excited I was when I heard the WikiMedia foundation was moving here.
Crazy to think that I'll actually get the chance to contribute so
much.

Having lived and worked in various parts of the world within setups of
all sorts of sizes, I'm hoping to bring a diverse set of skills that
can benefit everyone involved. Either from new ideas or just another
pair of hands, I plan on contributing what's needed and makes good
sense to have.

Enough for now .. I'll be turning myself onto listen mode and will
just be trying to absorb all the info that is coming my way.

see you on IRC.

--tomasz

Re: Announcement: Tomasz Finc

mike.lifeguard
<MASSIVE GRIN>
Congrats to Tomasz for a new job with a great team and congrats to the tech
team for finding the right person to fill the space!

Mike

Re: Announcement: Tomasz Finc

Cormac Lawler
On 7/30/08, Tomasz Finc <[hidden email]> wrote:

Enough for now .. I'll be turning myself onto listen mode and will
> just be trying to absorb all the info that is coming my way.

A hearty welcome, Tomasz! I'm sure that this could easily lean towards
information overload - as I'm sure it does for all new staff. :-)

I'm not sure of your exact role though, and therefore how it fits in with
the existing community of developers. I suppose some clarification would be
helpful to say how community requests for software development should
proceed, and whether your activity is being directed towards specific
projects for now.

In any case, this is great news - and bodes well for MediaWiki. :-)

Cormac

Re: Announcement: Tomasz Finc

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 23:39, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am pleased to welcome Tomasz Finc as a new full-time software
> developer. Tomasz will start officially next week on August 4 in our
> San Francisco office.

Welcome aboard. Our software is at the heart of keeping things moving
so another pair of hands will, I'm sure, be very much welcomed.

Re: Announcement: Tomasz Finc

Michael Snow-3
Cormac Lawler wrote:
> A hearty welcome, Tomasz! I'm sure that this could easily lean towards
> information overload - as I'm sure it does for all new staff. :-)
>
> I'm not sure of your exact role though, and therefore how it fits in with
> the existing community of developers. I suppose some clarification would be
> helpful to say how community requests for software development should
> proceed, and whether your activity is being directed towards specific
> projects for now.

I believe that community requests for software development continue to
go through Bugzilla, I'm not sure why hiring Tomasz would change any of
that. And if you read Brion's original announcement, he said Tomasz
would be working on general MediaWiki development, though I imagine the
team will figure out over time what areas are best for him. The
foundation is exploring possible sources of funds for some more specific
software development projects, but until we have something to announce
we wouldn't be hiring specifically for those.

By the way, welcome aboard Tomasz!

--Michael Snow