[Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

[Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Florence Devouard-2
Hello,

The members of the board of trustees of Wikimedia Foundation have
recently agreed to add two new board members, both being members of our
community, for a term which will expire at next board elections
(june-july 2008).

The first is Michael Snow, long time editor of Wikipedia, and twice
candidate to the board. Rather than presenting him, I recommand that you
  go read into detail his candidate statements, back in 2004
(http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2004/Candidates#Michael_Snow_.28Confirmed.29),
or in 2007
(http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2007/Candidates/en#User:Michael_Snow).
Michael is a american lawyer, has been the founder of the SignPost and
is currently the Chair of the Commmunication Committee. He is noticeable
(somehow) for being very calm and wise.

The second is Domas Mituzas, long time developer in our tech team. He is
from Lithuania and works for MySQl. He has been a member of the core
tech team for... ever, and is the Foundation hardware volunteer officer.
User page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Midom
Recent email on foundation list:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2008-January/035729.html
He is noticeable for being a very friendly, cheerful, and tall individual.

I am delighted to welcome them both on board, and I hope the community
will generally agree it is a good choice. Their terms will unfortunately
be rather short, but I have no doubt they will bring good insight
nevertheless.

Thanks

Florence Devouard
Chair Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Casey Brown-3
Ooh, two names we all know and love!  Welcome to the Board Michael and
Domas! :-D

On Feb 13, 2008 11:52 AM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The members of the board of trustees of Wikimedia Foundation have
> recently agreed to add two new board members, both being members of our
> community, for a term which will expire at next board elections
> (june-july 2008).
>
> The first is Michael Snow, long time editor of Wikipedia, and twice
> candidate to the board. Rather than presenting him, I recommand that you
>   go read into detail his candidate statements, back in 2004
> (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2004/Candidates#Michael_Snow_.28Confirmed.29),
> or in 2007
> (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2007/Candidates/en#User:Michael_Snow).
> Michael is a american lawyer, has been the founder of the SignPost and
> is currently the Chair of the Commmunication Committee. He is noticeable
> (somehow) for being very calm and wise.
>
> The second is Domas Mituzas, long time developer in our tech team. He is
> from Lithuania and works for MySQl. He has been a member of the core
> tech team for... ever, and is the Foundation hardware volunteer officer.
> User page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Midom
> Recent email on foundation list:
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2008-January/035729.html
> He is noticeable for being a very friendly, cheerful, and tall individual.
>
> I am delighted to welcome them both on board, and I hope the community
> will generally agree it is a good choice. Their terms will unfortunately
> be rather short, but I have no doubt they will bring good insight
> nevertheless.
>
> Thanks
>
> Florence Devouard
> Chair Wikimedia Foundation

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

On 13/02/2008, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The first is Michael Snow, long time editor of Wikipedia, and twice
> The second is Domas Mituzas, long time developer in our tech team. He is

Excellent choices. Having someone with that level of technical
knowledge on hand is excellent as well.

- d.

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

KIZU Naoko
On Feb 14, 2008 2:14 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 13/02/2008, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The first is Michael Snow, long time editor of Wikipedia, and twice
> > The second is Domas Mituzas, long time developer in our tech team. He is
>

> Excellent choices. Having someone with that level of technical
> knowledge on hand is excellent as well.

Indeed. Also someone with that level of legal knowledge ;)

Congrats, guys!

--
KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Andrew Whitworth-2
On Feb 13, 2008 12:14 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 13/02/2008, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The first is Michael Snow, long time editor of Wikipedia, and twice
> > The second is Domas Mituzas, long time developer in our tech team.
>

> Excellent choices. Having someone with that level of technical
> knowledge on hand is excellent as well.

Agreed. Absolutely qualified, and members of our own community (two
points which are definitely positive).

--Andrew Whitworth

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Erik Moeller-4
Congratulations, Michael & Domas, and good luck to both of you. :-)

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Victor Vasiliev
Florence Devouard writes:
> The second is Domas Mituzas, long time developer in our tech team. He is
> from Lithuania and works for MySQl. He has been a member of the core
> tech team for... ever, and is the Foundation hardware volunteer officer.
> User page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Midom
> Recent email on foundation list:
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2008-January/035729.html
> He is noticeable for being a very friendly, cheerful, and tall individual.
Developers in Board of Trustess? That's very nice.
--VasilievVV

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Ray Saintonge
Florence Devouard wrote:
> The first is Michael Snow, long time editor of Wikipedia, and twice
> candidate to the board.
> The second is Domas Mituzas, long time developer in our tech team.
I have met them both, and agree that they are good choices.
> and tall individual.
Since you have mentioned this in regard to JanBart in the budget thread,
one wonders about the impact on travel expenses. ;-)

Ec

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Waerth
Welcome and good luck to both of you!

Waerth

> Hello,
>
> The members of the board of trustees of Wikimedia Foundation have
> recently agreed to add two new board members, both being members of our
> community, for a term which will expire at next board elections
> (june-july 2008).
>
> The first is Michael Snow, long time editor of Wikipedia, and twice
> candidate to the board. Rather than presenting him, I recommand that you
>   go read into detail his candidate statements, back in 2004
> (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2004/Candidates#Michael_Snow_.28Confirmed.29),
> or in 2007
> (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2007/Candidates/en#User:Michael_Snow).
> Michael is a american lawyer, has been the founder of the SignPost and
> is currently the Chair of the Commmunication Committee. He is noticeable
> (somehow) for being very calm and wise.
>
> The second is Domas Mituzas, long time developer in our tech team. He is
> from Lithuania and works for MySQl. He has been a member of the core
> tech team for... ever, and is the Foundation hardware volunteer officer.
> User page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Midom
> Recent email on foundation list:
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2008-January/035729.html
> He is noticeable for being a very friendly, cheerful, and tall individual.
>
> I am delighted to welcome them both on board, and I hope the community
> will generally agree it is a good choice. Their terms will unfortunately
> be rather short, but I have no doubt they will bring good insight
> nevertheless.
>
> Thanks
>
> Florence Devouard
> Chair Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Chad
Both excellent choices in my book.

-Chad

On Feb 13, 2008 1:35 PM, Waerth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Welcome and good luck to both of you!
>
> Waerth
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > The members of the board of trustees of Wikimedia Foundation have
> > recently agreed to add two new board members, both being members of our
> > community, for a term which will expire at next board elections
> > (june-july 2008).
> >
> > The first is Michael Snow, long time editor of Wikipedia, and twice
> > candidate to the board. Rather than presenting him, I recommand that you
> >   go read into detail his candidate statements, back in 2004
> > (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2004/Candidates#Michael_Snow_.28Confirmed.29),
> > or in 2007
> > (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2007/Candidates/en#User:Michael_Snow).
> > Michael is a american lawyer, has been the founder of the SignPost and
> > is currently the Chair of the Commmunication Committee. He is noticeable
> > (somehow) for being very calm and wise.
> >
> > The second is Domas Mituzas, long time developer in our tech team. He is
> > from Lithuania and works for MySQl. He has been a member of the core
> > tech team for... ever, and is the Foundation hardware volunteer officer.
> > User page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Midom
> > Recent email on foundation list:
> > http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2008-January/035729.html
> > He is noticeable for being a very friendly, cheerful, and tall individual.
> >
> > I am delighted to welcome them both on board, and I hope the community
> > will generally agree it is a good choice. Their terms will unfortunately
> > be rather short, but I have no doubt they will bring good insight
> > nevertheless.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Florence Devouard
> > Chair Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Mohamed Magdy-2
I think they are appropriate for the board.. congrats to both of you :)

btw, is there a resolution?

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new boardmembers

brian.mcneil-2
Mohamed Magdy wrote:

>I think they are appropriate for the board.. congrats to both of you :)

>btw, is there a resolution?

<AOL>Me too!</AOL>

Brian McNeil

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Robert Rohde
Congratulations to both.

I do have one question though.  In previous elections there has been a
concern that being on the Board and writing for the Signpost represented a
conflict of interest.  I believe Michael said previously that he would scale
back/discontinue his Signpost involvement if elected to the Board.  I am
curious if that is still his plan?

-Robert Rohde

On Feb 13, 2008 8:52 AM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The members of the board of trustees of Wikimedia Foundation have
> recently agreed to add two new board members, both being members of our
> community, for a term which will expire at next board elections
> (june-july 2008).
>
> The first is Michael Snow, long time editor of Wikipedia, and twice
> candidate to the board. Rather than presenting him, I recommand that you
>  go read into detail his candidate statements, back in 2004
> (
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2004/Candidates#Michael_Snow_.28Confirmed.29
> ),
> or in 2007
> (
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2007/Candidates/en#User:Michael_Snow
> ).
> Michael is a american lawyer, has been the founder of the SignPost and
> is currently the Chair of the Commmunication Committee. He is noticeable
> (somehow) for being very calm and wise.
>
> The second is Domas Mituzas, long time developer in our tech team. He is
> from Lithuania and works for MySQl. He has been a member of the core
> tech team for... ever, and is the Foundation hardware volunteer officer.
> User page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Midom
> Recent email on foundation list:
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2008-January/035729.html
> He is noticeable for being a very friendly, cheerful, and tall individual.
>
> I am delighted to welcome them both on board, and I hope the community
> will generally agree it is a good choice. Their terms will unfortunately
> be rather short, but I have no doubt they will bring good insight
> nevertheless.
>
> Thanks
>
> Florence Devouard
> Chair Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Brad Patrick
Board meetings will never be the same with Domas and Michael on board. (play
on words intended)

Congratulations and good luck!

On 13/02/2008, Robert Rohde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do have one question though.  In previous elections there has been a
> concern that being on the Board and writing for the Signpost represented a
> conflict of interest.  I believe Michael said previously that he would scale
> back/discontinue his Signpost involvement if elected to the Board.  I am
> curious if that is still his plan?

Hasn't he pretty much handed it over to others already? The Signpost
doesn't rely on him at all.

- d.

On Feb 13, 2008 12:44 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13/02/2008, Robert Rohde <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I do have one question though.  In previous elections there has been a
> > concern that being on the Board and writing for the Signpost represented
> > conflict of interest.  I believe Michael said previously that he would
> scale
> > back/discontinue his Signpost involvement if elected to the Board.  I am
> > curious if that is still his plan?
>

> Hasn't he pretty much handed it over to others already? The Signpost
> doesn't rely on him at all.

He isn't the lead editor, as he was in the past, but he still is the lead
author on about 1 article per week.

-Robert Rohde

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I do not know about Signpost .. Google is my friend :) Does it make much
difference what a board member does on a project ? Even if it is the
en.wikipedia ??
Thanks,
    GerardM

On Feb 13, 2008 9:53 PM, Robert Rohde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2008 12:44 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 13/02/2008, Robert Rohde <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I do have one question though.  In previous elections there has been a
> > > concern that being on the Board and writing for the Signpost
> represented
> > > conflict of interest.  I believe Michael said previously that he would
> > scale
> > > back/discontinue his Signpost involvement if elected to the Board.  I
> am
> > > curious if that is still his plan?
> >

> > Hasn't he pretty much handed it over to others already? The Signpost
> > doesn't rely on him at all.
> >

> He isn't the lead editor, as he was in the past, but he still is the lead
> author on about 1 article per week.
>
> -Robert Rohde

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Chad
In the case of the Signpost, I would generally say no. To be perfectly honest,
I think a "possible COI" between board membership and enwiki's community
newspaper is just grasping at straws and looking for a reason to oppose someone.

But that's just me.

-Chad

On Feb 13, 2008 4:05 PM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hoi,
> I do not know about Signpost .. Google is my friend :) Does it make much
> difference what a board member does on a project ? Even if it is the
> en.wikipedia ??
> Thanks,
>     GerardM
>

> On Feb 13, 2008 9:53 PM, Robert Rohde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > represented
> > > scale
> > am
> > >

> > > Hasn't he pretty much handed it over to others already? The Signpost
> > > doesn't rely on him at all.
> > >

> > He isn't the lead editor, as he was in the past, but he still is the lead
> > author on about 1 article per week.
> >
> > -Robert Rohde

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Robert Rohde
For the record, it doesn't actually bother me, but I know it was a major
concern that some people had, so I was wondering how Michael was planning to
address it.

-Robert Rohde

On Feb 13, 2008 1:13 PM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the case of the Signpost, I would generally say no. To be perfectly
> honest,
> I think a "possible COI" between board membership and enwiki's community
> newspaper is just grasping at straws and looking for a reason to oppose
> someone.
>
> But that's just me.
>
> -Chad
>
> On Feb 13, 2008 4:05 PM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hoi,
> > I do not know about Signpost .. Google is my friend :) Does it make much
> > difference what a board member does on a project ? Even if it is the
> > en.wikipedia ??
> > Thanks,
> >     GerardM

> been a
> > > represented
> would
> > > am

> > > He isn't the lead editor, as he was in the past, but he still is the
> lead
> > > author on about 1 article per week.
> > >
> > > -Robert Rohde

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Dan Rosenthal
Chad: Nobody's complaining it is a COI. Far from it. I think people
are expressing regret and concern that the quality of the Signpost may
decrease without his full attention, while at the same time
acknowledging that the board is a higher duty.

-Dan