[Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Chad
My mistake, I was under the impression it was a COI issue.

-Chad

On Feb 13, 2008 4:39 PM, Dan Rosenthal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chad: Nobody's complaining it is a COI. Far from it. I think people
> are expressing regret and concern that the quality of the Signpost may
> decrease without his full attention, while at the same time
> acknowledging that the board is a higher duty.
>
> -Dan
>
> On Feb 13, 2008, at 4:13 PM, Chad wrote:
>
> > In the case of the Signpost, I would generally say no. To be
> > perfectly honest,
> > I think a "possible COI" between board membership and enwiki's
> > community
> > newspaper is just grasping at straws and looking for a reason to
> > oppose someone.
> >
> > But that's just me.
> >
> > -Chad
> >
> > On Feb 13, 2008 4:05 PM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >> Hoi,
> >> I do not know about Signpost .. Google is my friend :) Does it make
> >> much
> >> difference what a board member does on a project ? Even if it is the
> >> en.wikipedia ??
> >> Thanks,
> >>    GerardM

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Robert Rohde
On Feb 13, 2008 1:44 PM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My mistake, I was under the impression it was a COI issue.

Actually, some people who are purists about having an "independent"
newspaper do see it as a COI issue.  It is also, as Dan suggests, a time
commitment issue.

-Robert Rohde

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Florence Devouard-3
Ray Saintonge wrote:

> Florence Devouard wrote:
>> The first is Michael Snow, long time editor of Wikipedia, and twice
>> candidate to the board.
>> The second is Domas Mituzas, long time developer in our tech team.
> I have met them both, and agree that they are good choices.
>> and tall individual.
> Since you have mentioned this in regard to JanBart in the budget thread,
> one wonders about the impact on travel expenses. ;-)
>
> Ec

/me wonders which one is tallest....

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Domas Mituzas
Florence, everyone,

thanks for nice welcoming (though of course, we've been here together
for ages) and trust.

WMF major work is operations (legal, technological, ideological) to
facilitate communities building knowledge,  and of course -
individuals seeking for it.
For very long time I have been seeing my work in projects as 'non-
contributing user representative' (and due to lack of edits on wikis
I still can't easily vote in elections :).

That non-contribution ended up being quite involving - I wished we
were able...
To serve more people, without having to request anything back -
politely asking seems to be far nicer choice.
To rely on goodwill and beliefs to make it sustainable
To behave in right way, and not have everyone turn their backs, but
rather come back again and again.

Caring about the result and enjoying the process is something what
seemed to be driving the organization, especially the technology part
of it.
This is what we should continue doing - not make the process enemy of
what we are doing, enjoy it, and of course, care about our future and
results we achieve.

And care about non-contributors too, because essentially, thats whom
we work for. :-)

BR,
Domas

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Brianna Laugher
On 14/02/2008, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The members of the board of trustees of Wikimedia Foundation have
> recently agreed to add two new board members, both being members of our
> community, for a term which will expire at next board elections
> (june-july 2008).
>
> The first is Michael Snow, long time editor of Wikipedia, and twice
> candidate to the board. Rather than presenting him, I recommand that you
>   go read into detail his candidate statements, back in 2004
> (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2004/Candidates#Michael_Snow_.28Confirmed.29),
> or in 2007
> (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2007/Candidates/en#User:Michael_Snow).
> Michael is a american lawyer, has been the founder of the SignPost and
> is currently the Chair of the Commmunication Committee. He is noticeable
> (somehow) for being very calm and wise.
>
> The second is Domas Mituzas, long time developer in our tech team. He is
> from Lithuania and works for MySQl. He has been a member of the core
> tech team for... ever, and is the Foundation hardware volunteer officer.
> User page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Midom
> Recent email on foundation list:
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2008-January/035729.html
> He is noticeable for being a very friendly, cheerful, and tall individual.
>
> I am delighted to welcome them both on board, and I hope the community
> will generally agree it is a good choice. Their terms will unfortunately
> be rather short, but I have no doubt they will bring good insight
> nevertheless.

Congratulations and best of luck to Michael and Domas.
It will only be sad if doing this means less time doing the things you
both already do excellently. But that is a selfish wish. :)

Lead on!

cheers,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

George William Herbert
Congratulations to Michael and Domas.

l hope you both still have time to do other activity 8-).

-george

On Feb 13, 2008 8:52 AM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The members of the board of trustees of Wikimedia Foundation have
> recently agreed to add two new board members, both being members of our
> community, for a term which will expire at next board elections
> (june-july 2008).
>
> The first is Michael Snow, long time editor of Wikipedia, and twice
> candidate to the board. Rather than presenting him, I recommand that you
>   go read into detail his candidate statements, back in 2004
> (
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2004/Candidates#Michael_Snow_.28Confirmed.29
),
> or in 2007
> (
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2007/Candidates/en#User:Michael_Snow
).

> Michael is a american lawyer, has been the founder of the SignPost and
> is currently the Chair of the Commmunication Committee. He is noticeable
> (somehow) for being very calm and wise.
>
> The second is Domas Mituzas, long time developer in our tech team. He is
> from Lithuania and works for MySQl. He has been a member of the core
> tech team for... ever, and is the Foundation hardware volunteer officer.
> User page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Midom
> Recent email on foundation list:
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2008-January/035729.html
> He is noticeable for being a very friendly, cheerful, and tall individual.
>
> I am delighted to welcome them both on board, and I hope the community
> will generally agree it is a good choice. Their terms will unfortunately
> be rather short, but I have no doubt they will bring good insight
> nevertheless.
>
> Thanks
>
> Florence Devouard
> Chair Wikimedia Foundation

-george william herbert

Re: [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Michael Snow-2
Thank you to all the well-wishers. I look forward to working with Domas
and the rest of the board.

Robert alluded to people expressing concern in previous elections about
the Signpost creating a conflict of interest. To nitpick, I don't recall
it quite that way. In 2004, the Signpost did not exist yet. And when I
ran in 2007, I stated at the outset that I would discontinue work there
if elected. So that pretty much preempted the issue, and nobody bothered
to raise concerns with me.

Anyway, to answer the question, as before I don't plan to do both at the
same time, so the images of Muhammad story may be my valedictory
Signpost article. Whether you see it as a time conflict, an interests
conflict, or both, it wouldn't be compatible for me. I don't think being
somewhat "purist" about the Signpost's independence is bad, especially
since it really does have to show independence about the community's own
disputes (you could ask David.Mestel about people trying to redo their
arbitration cases in his weekly report). It's been tricky enough
balancing what I "know" confidentially from internal discussions I'm
aware of and what I "know" with my reporter hat on.

--Michael Snow

Florence Devouard wrote:
> He is noticeable for being a very friendly, cheerful, and tall individual.

At Wikimania in Boston, I remember that Domas rather enjoyed pointing
out his ability to (literally) look down on me. So yes, he's quite tall,
although I don't recall whether he or Jan-Bart is tallest.

--Michael Snow