Announcement regarding Host for Wikimania 2016

Announcement regarding Host for Wikimania 2016

Ellie Young
Dear Wikimedians,

On the recommendation of the Wikimania 2016 selection Jury Committee, we have accepted the proposal from the Esino Lario Italy team.   The  Wikimania Esino Lario team is composed mainly of volunteers.  It is promoted by  Wikimedia Italia and Wikimedia CH in partnership with Esino Lario city council, Ecomuseo delle Grigne, Pro Loco Esino Lario, Parco Regionale della Grigna Settentionale and the Esino Lario local associations and community. nThe proposal will be further vetted by the WMF staff in the coming months, after which time we hope to confirm the award.   Please join us in congratulating Wikimania Esino Lario!

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2016_bids/Esino_Lario

We would also like to thank the team from Manila, Philippines for their efforts in putting together excellent proposal.  As a volunteer-led movement, it is hugely encouraging to have so many who want to support Wikimania. The bidding process requires a substantial time investment, and we are most grateful for every team’s hard work.

For those of you who are considering hosting in future years, we expect to issue the Request for Proposals  for 2017  in September.

Sincerely,

Ellie Young, WMF Conference Coordinator
On behalf of the Wikimania Steering Committee

Re: Announcement regarding Host for Wikimania 2016

Erik Moeller-4
Kudos to the team and to the jury for daring to try something totally
new & exciting for Wikimania 2016 that sounds just a little bit crazy.
:D I am hugely looking forward to being part of this -- and I think
everyone who signs up to come will do so in the spirit of exploration
& adventure in which this bid is undertaken.

I've been to many conferences, offsites, retreats and what have you.
The ones that stick most in my mind are the ones that combined an
interesting environment, challenges to overcome, and lots of rich,
intimate conversations, woven together into an unforgettable
experience. It sounds like Wikimania 2016 will have plenty of "all of
the above". :)

Erik

Re: Announcement regarding Host for Wikimania 2016

Christopher Cooper
May I offer my congratulations to Esino Lario on winning the bid. I
personally backed Manilla for various reasons, but it was a fair
contest, and I look forward to going to Italy in 2016.

I have noted though that there was some confusion caused by it becoming
public knowledge via Twitter that Esino Lario had won, despite there
having been no official announcement. I think in future years the
decision should be formally announced and pages updated before tweets
etc. are made.

Kind regards,
Christopher

On 20/01/2015 23:24, Ellie Young wrote:

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> On the recommendation of the Wikimania 2016 selection Jury Committee, we have accepted the proposal from the Esino Lario Italy team.   The  Wikimania Esino Lario team is composed mainly of volunteers.  It is promoted by  Wikimedia Italia and Wikimedia CH in partnership with Esino Lario city council, Ecomuseo delle Grigne, Pro Loco Esino Lario, Parco Regionale della Grigna Settentionale and the Esino Lario local associations and community. nThe proposal will be further vetted by the WMF staff in the coming months, after which time we hope to confirm the award.   Please join us in congratulating Wikimania Esino Lario!
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2016_bids/Esino_Lario
>
> We would also like to thank the team from Manila, Philippines for their efforts in putting together excellent proposal.  As a volunteer-led movement, it is hugely encouraging to have so many who want to support Wikimania. The bidding process requires a substantial time investment, and we are most grateful for every team’s hard work.
>
> For those of you who are considering hosting in future years, we expect to issue the Request for Proposals  for 2017  in September.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ellie Young, WMF Conference Coordinator
> On behalf of the Wikimania Steering Committee

Re: Announcement regarding Host for Wikimania 2016

Christopher Cooper
Hi Iolanda,

Thank you for your thoughtful and swift response.

I'm not particularly critical of the bid team for being open about the
result, since there are good reasons to get the news out there and it
would be unreasonable to expect a bid team to keep their win or loss a
secret for any period of time.

I think the answer here is for the official announcement of the jury's
decision to be as prompt as possible; this doesn't seem to have been an
issue in previous years. The decision to award Wikimania 2015 to Mexico
City was also done with the condition that further WMF vetting was
required, and this isn't a problem, as long as it is noted in the
announcement and on the updated pages.

Kind regards,
Christopher

On 22/01/2015 10:21, Iolanda Pensa wrote:

> [...]
>
> I wanted to provide you and explication because I do understand and respect your point. I hope the explanation can clarify why I did it; I really wanted to let you know that I didn't do it for pride and joyful enthusiasm (which I have but i could wait for the official announcement); i did it because we need to move and move fast: start working in making Wikimania Esino starting and get the necessary attention from the stakeholders (we are currently negotiating with the Lombardy Region for a program of agreement which needs to get done now or we can't get all the resources for the event).
> my warm regards
> iolanda / iopensa
>

>> Il giorno 21/gen/2015, alle ore 21:04, Christopher Cooper <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>>
>> May I offer my congratulations to Esino Lario on winning the bid. I personally backed Manilla for various reasons, but it was a fair contest, and I look forward to going to Italy in 2016.
>>
>> I have noted though that there was some confusion caused by it becoming public knowledge via Twitter that Esino Lario had won, despite there having been no official announcement. I think in future years the decision should be formally announced and pages updated before tweets etc. are made.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Christopher
>>
>> On 20/01/2015 23:24, Ellie Young wrote:
>>> Dear Wikimedians,
>>>
>>> On the recommendation of the Wikimania 2016 selection Jury Committee, we have accepted the proposal from the Esino Lario Italy team.   The  Wikimania Esino Lario team is composed mainly of volunteers.  It is promoted by  Wikimedia Italia and Wikimedia CH in partnership with Esino Lario city council, Ecomuseo delle Grigne, Pro Loco Esino Lario, Parco Regionale della Grigna Settentionale and the Esino Lario local associations and community. nThe proposal will be further vetted by the WMF staff in the coming months, after which time we hope to confirm the award.   Please join us in congratulating Wikimania Esino Lario!
>>>
>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2016_bids/Esino_Lario
>>>
>>> We would also like to thank the team from Manila, Philippines for their efforts in putting together excellent proposal.  As a volunteer-led movement, it is hugely encouraging to have so many who want to support Wikimania. The bidding process requires a substantial time investment, and we are most grateful for every team’s hard work.
>>>
>>> For those of you who are considering hosting in future years, we expect to issue the Request for Proposals  for 2017  in September.
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Ellie Young, WMF Conference Coordinator
>>> On behalf of the Wikimania Steering Committee

Re: Announcement regarding Host for Wikimania 2016

You can blame it on me!   I had thought I had posted the announcement
over the holidays but it was sitting on my drafts mail folder.

Ellie

> [...]
>> my warm regards
>> iolanda / iopensa
>>

>>> Il giorno 21/gen/2015, alle ore 21:04, Christopher Cooper <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>>>
>>> May I offer my congratulations to Esino Lario on winning the bid. I personally backed Manilla for various reasons, but it was a fair contest, and I look forward to going to Italy in 2016.
>>>
>>> I have noted though that there was some confusion caused by it becoming public knowledge via Twitter that Esino Lario had won, despite there having been no official announcement. I think in future years the decision should be formally announced and pages updated before tweets etc. are made.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Christopher

Re: Announcement regarding Host for Wikimania 2016

Andy Cruz y Corro
Congratulations to all the teams!

And to the Esino Lario team: This is no easy task, but I have confidence you'll do a great job. I look forward to Wikimania '16 already!

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 6:10 PM, Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> my warm regards
>> iolanda / iopensa
>>

>>> Il giorno 21/gen/2015, alle ore 21:04, Christopher Cooper <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>>>
>>> May I offer my congratulations to Esino Lario on winning the bid. I personally backed Manilla for various reasons, but it was a fair contest, and I look forward to going to Italy in 2016.
>>>
>>> I have noted though that there was some confusion caused by it becoming public knowledge via Twitter that Esino Lario had won, despite there having been no official announcement. I think in future years the decision should be formally announced and pages updated before tweets etc. are made.

"Imagina un mundo en donde cada persona del planeta pueda tener acceso libre a la suma total de todo el conocimiento humano. Eso es lo que estamos haciendo."—Jimmy Wales.