Announcing Marlita Kahn as the Project Manager for the Bookshelf Project

Announcing Marlita Kahn as the Project Manager for the Bookshelf Project

Frank Schulenburg
Hi all,

I am delighted to announce that Wikimedia's Bookshelf Project will be
led by Marlita Kahn.

Marlita is a Senior Project Manager/Program Manager with over 15 years
experience managing educational, technical, media-rich and
multilingual projects. Her employment contract with us started on
September 28, 2009, and will end on September 24, 2010. She will
report to me.

Marlita comes to Wikimedia from Design Media, where, as Senior Project
Manager, she created and guided the product design and content
development for a large number of customers. Among her projects were a
product set targeted to educators and general public for California
State Capitol Museum that won the International Web Page Award (2002),
"Concepts of Biology", a high school biology full year multimedia
curriculum product and a 3D stereoscopic film commemorating the 1906
San Francisco Earthquake and Fire using historic imagery and original
3D animation, script and surround sound that won the Silver and Bronze
Telly Awards (2007).

Prior to her work at Design Media, Marlita worked as a Managing
Director for the Internet Archive. She managed the Archive from
start-up and led the development of the 5 year strategic plan.

Marlita is fluent in Spanish and holds a Master's Degree in English
Literature from the University of California at Berkeley.

The Bookshelf Project is one of the Wikimedia Foundation's priorities
for 2009-10 and I'm thrilled that Marlita has agreed to lead this
important initiative. She'll take the first few weeks to catch up on
the thinking that's been done so far, and you'll start hearing from
her soon.

Please join me in warmly welcoming Marlita to the Wikimedia Foundation.

Thanks,
Frank

-----

ABOUT THE BOOKSHELF PROJECT

The Bookshelf Project aims at creating a core set of
awareness/engagement/training public outreach materials, in English,
to later be translated, adapted and used for multiple purposes by
volunteers, chapters and educational institutions such as schools and
universities.

The materials created as part of the Bookshelf Project include basic
"first step" documents, compelling invitations to participate, but
most importantly, in-depth series of resources targeting potential
editors, trainers, and evangelists. The materials also provide models,
such as lessen plans, for how teachers, professors, and journalists
can use Wikipedia in their professional capacity.

-----

NB. This mail address is used for public mailing lists. Personal
emails sent to this address will get lost.

Re: Announcing Marlita Kahn as the Project Manager for the Bookshelf Project

Bod Notbod
> Please join me in warmly welcoming Marlita to the Wikimedia Foundation.

Welcome Marlita!

The qualifications sound amazing.

The Bookshelf Project hasn't really grabbed me so far. I think it's
important but I haven't got overly excited about it.

But seeing Marlita's qualifications I think this could be really interesting.

Bodnotbod

Bookshelf project

Waerth
I am worried about this passage in the Bookshelf project
> The materials created as part of the Bookshelf Project include basic
> "first step" documents, compelling invitations to participate, *but
> most importantly, **in-depth series of resources targeting potential
> editors, trainers, and evangelists.* The materials also provide models,
> such as lessen plans, for how teachers, professors, and journalists
> can use Wikipedia in their professional capacity.

I never new the goal of the wikimedia foundation was to evangelize the
world. As an agnost I take offence to this.

Waerth

Re: Bookshelf project

Jim Redmond
On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 09:18, Waerth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I never new the goal of the wikimedia foundation was to evangelize the
> world. As an agnost I take offence to this.

In this context, the term "evangelist" is not specifically a religious term;
rather, it refers to a highly enthusiastic recruiter for the wiki cause.
This usage is somewhat common in English, but I have to admit that it
doesn't translate well.

Jim Redmond
[[User:Jredmond]]

Re: Bookshelf project

Ray Saintonge
Waerth wrote:

> I am worried about this passage in the Bookshelf project
>
>> The materials created as part of the Bookshelf Project include basic
>> "first step" documents, compelling invitations to participate, *but
>> most importantly, **in-depth series of resources targeting potential
>> editors, trainers, and evangelists.* The materials also provide models,
>> such as lessen plans, for how teachers, professors, and journalists
>> can use Wikipedia in their professional capacity.
>>
> I never new the goal of the wikimedia foundation was to evangelize the
> world. As an agnost I take offence to this.

I suppose that a lessen plan is not as ominous as a lesson plan. :-)

Ec

Re: Bookshelf project

Ray Saintonge
Jim Redmond wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 09:18, Waerth <[hidden email]> wrote
>> I never new the goal of the wikimedia foundation was to evangelize the
>> world. As an agnost I take offence to this
> In this context, the term "evangelist" is not specifically a religious term;
> rather, it refers to a highly enthusiastic recruiter for the wiki cause.
> This usage is somewhat common in English, but I have to admit that it
> doesn't translate well.

Would "propagandize" have been a better word?  The OED defines
"evangelize" word in terms of conversion to Christianity.  Your extended
interpretation is indeed common in English, but that includes all the
negative connotations that are commonly associated with Christian
evangelism.

Those of us who absorbed the wiki notion at an early stage did not need
a catechism to do this.

Why does it need to be in English to start with? We have some very
capable people in the German chapter who could write this kind of thing,
and have it translated *into* English. Other chapters may be just as
capable.

The people that this initiative seeks to recruit are ones that we would
like to welcome into the wiki family, but terms like "compelling
invitations" seem very much like corporatist bafflegab when there are no
tools to compel any volunteer to do anything.

Ec