Announcing a great project within the German language Wikipedia

Announcing a great project within the German language Wikipedia

Mathias Schindler-2
With great pleasure, I would like to tell you about an announcement
that was made just hours ago at the German language Wikipedia mailing
list about a three-year-project: The German Federal Ministry of Food,
Agriculture and Customer Protection [1] is going to fund the
improvement of articles in the de-wikipedia that deal with the topic
of renewable resources.

You will find the announcemend, made by Florian Gerlach of the Nova
institute at http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikide-l/2007-June/019503.html.

The first step of this project will be an assessment of the current
articles in that topic.

The project site can be found at
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProjekt_Nachwachsende_Rohstoffe

The content will strictly adhere the Wikipedia's policies about NPOV,
the GFDL license, the  encyclopedic tone and so on, the articles will
remain open for the public to edit.

To my knowledge, this is a worldwide premiere and it is my hope that
we will use the experience gained from this project to find new
opportunities for supporting Wikipedia and the creation of freely
licensed content in general.

I would like to ask you to have a close look at this project, to
spread the word and to see if anything from this can be applied to
other editions of Wikipedia as well.

Mathias

[1]: http://www.bmelv.de/cln_045/nn_754188/EN/00Home/homepage__node.html__nnn=true

Re: Announcing a great project within the German language Wikipedia

Ray Saintonge
Mathias Schindler wrote:

>With great pleasure, I would like to tell you about an announcement
>that was made just hours ago at the German language Wikipedia mailing
>list about a three-year-project: The German Federal Ministry of Food,
>Agriculture and Customer Protection [1] is going to fund the
>improvement of articles in the de-wikipedia that deal with the topic
>of renewable resources.

>To my knowledge, this is a worldwide premiere and it is my hope that
>we will use the experience gained from this project to find new
>opportunities for supporting Wikipedia and the creation of freely
>licensed content in general.

Excellent.  Creating free content is certainly a more important activity
than merely using free content.

Ec

On 6/25/07, Mathias Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You will find the announcemend, made by Florian Gerlach of the Nova
> institute at http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikide-l/2007-June/019503.html.

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/91733 is a translation of
the article that appeared at heise.de this morning, containing more
information about the project.

"German Wikipedia receives state funding

For the first time, the German edition of the open Internet
encyclopedia Wikipedia will be receiving state funding. Germany will
be setting aside part of its budget to improve information about
renewable resources in Wikipedia. Over the next few years, several
hundred articles will be written on this issue."

Re: Announcing a great project within the German language Wikipedia

Titoxd@Wikimedia
It was slashdotted, so you may want to keep an eye out for inaccuracies:
http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/06/26/159232
Titoxd.