Announcing a new extension - SideBarMenu,

Announcing a new extension - SideBarMenu,

Kim Eik
The SideBarMenu simplifies creating multilevel menues.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SideBarMenu

This is my first development project including mediawiki and has been by
request of a large oil company in Norway; Statoil.

Any feedback of any kind, is appreciated.

-Kim

Re: Announcing a new extension - SideBarMenu,

Alex Brollo
2012/3/8 Kim Eik <[hidden email]>

> The SideBarMenu simplifies creating multilevel menues.
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SideBarMenu
>
> This is my first development project including mediawiki and has been by
> request of a large oil company in Norway; Statoil.
>
> Any feedback of any kind, is appreciated.

Very good!  Thanks!
Wikisource needs lots of gadgets/tools, youe extension could be inspiring
and very useful when there's any need to add lots of tools-links into
SideBarMenu. We found to that sidebar menu is much more comfortable if it
is fixed so that it doesn't scroll any more when scrolling long texts in
edit mode.

Alex brollo

Re: Announcing a new extension - SideBarMenu,

Kim Eik
By fixed do you mean the css style position: fixed; ?

2012/3/8 Kim Eik <[hidden email]>

> By fixed do you mean the css style position: fixed; ?

Yes. An absolutely simple, but effective idea.  Really all tools and
buttons should have a  position:fixed css attribute - particularly when
proofreading into wikisource. Recently I registered too into Distributed
Proofreaders, they have a specialyzed proofreading interface (while
wikisource has in intelligent customization of a general wiki interface)
and I saw that once more we rediscovered the wheel, giving to some tools
the position:fixed attribute, just as DP does.

Alex

Re: Announcing a new extension - SideBarMenu,

Kim Eik
The extension can be customized to your needs by hooking into
the .sidebar-menu-container css class.

setting this to include position: fixed; will get desired result.

Re: Announcing a new extension - SideBarMenu,

Alex Brollo
Thank you, we did, but we wrapped the needed  jQuery code into a gadget, so
that users can set it as a personal preference. Our gadgets are growinig
and growing in number and performance! :-)

Alex

Re: Announcing a new extension - SideBarMenu,

Kim Eik
Do you have a wiki where my extension is used? Would be interesting too see
it in action in a production environment.

-Kim