Announcing project ‘Invest in the MobileFrontend & MinervaNeue frontend architecture’

Announcing project ‘Invest in the MobileFrontend & MinervaNeue frontend architecture’

Joaquin Oltra Hernandez
Hi!

Over the next fiscal year, the Wikimedia Foundation Readers Web team will
be making technical improvements to the mobile web codebases
(MobileFrontend and MinervaNeue).

The project, which we’re calling ‘Invest in the MobileFrontend &
MinervaNeue frontend architecture’, contained in Output 2.7 of the Platform
Evolution CDP [1], is currently in its specification and planning stages.
The outcomes of the project are:

1. Improve developer experience (on-boarding, maintenance, development)
2. Reduce technical debt and make production improvements
3. Separate presentation and logic
4. Make Minerva and MobileFrontend better citizens of the MediaWiki
ecosystem

MobileFrontend & MinervaNeue, which power the Wikimedia mobile sites, make
heavy use of client-side UIs with templates, CSS and JavaScript. Over the
past eight years of developing a mobile-first wiki experience we have
learnt and frontend technology has evolved. We will improve and modernize
the code bases to continue supporting our mobile web users in the future.
Please see Outcomes 1, 2 and 3 in the wiki page for more detail.

Minerva will become an independent skin without a dependency on
MobileFrontend, and vice versa. Please see Outcome 4 in the wiki page for
more detail.

Please visit the project page on MediaWiki.org to learn more about the
outcomes and outputs, and share your questions. [2]

N.B. This project is distinct from “Output 3.1: Contribution tools on
mobile web via an existing mediawiki skin” [3], described in the FY
2018-2019 plan.

_____________________
Joaquin Oltra Hernandez
Senior Software Engineer, Readers Web

[1]:
https://wikifarm.wmflabs.org/platformevolution/index.php/Plan:FY18-19/2/7
[2]:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/Projects/Invest_in_the_MobileFrontend_%26_MinervaNeue_frontend_architecture

[3]:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Annual_Plan/2018-2019/Audiences#Outcome_3:_Mobile_Contributing

Re: [WikimediaMobile] Announcing project ‘Invest in the MobileFrontend & MinervaNeue frontend architecture’

Derk-Jan Hartman
I really like all of these goals, but I have to say that many of them
seem to be a recurring theme (which to me is understandable, but maybe
not to others). I pose to you an additional challenge.. Don't do this
just to mobilefrontend/minervaneue. Do it to a component of core/an
extension as well (i'd pick something small, oft used, but not the
best maintained).

1. This will help expose you to any challenges that other parts of the
ecosystem have in following your direction.
2. It will show the way. Examples are good teaching methods.
3. A component that needs it, but might otherwise not get it, will get some TLC
4. It will close the mobile/desktop gap for whatever component you pick
5. it will close the mobile/desktop gap in general.

Because I think that if you don't expand on your target codebase, the
risk will be that you remain more isolated than you should be.

DJ

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 7:40 PM, Joaquin Oltra Hernandez
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Over the next fiscal year, the Wikimedia Foundation Readers Web team will be
> making technical improvements to the mobile web codebases (MobileFrontend
> and MinervaNeue).
>
> The project, which we’re calling ‘Invest in the MobileFrontend & MinervaNeue
> frontend architecture’, contained in Output 2.7 of the Platform Evolution
> CDP [1], is currently in its specification and planning stages. The outcomes
> of the project are:
>
> 1. Improve developer experience (on-boarding, maintenance, development)
> 2. Reduce technical debt and make production improvements
> 3. Separate presentation and logic
> 4. Make Minerva and MobileFrontend better citizens of the MediaWiki
> ecosystem
>
> MobileFrontend & MinervaNeue, which power the Wikimedia mobile sites, make
> heavy use of client-side UIs with templates, CSS and JavaScript. Over the
> past eight years of developing a mobile-first wiki experience we have learnt
> and frontend technology has evolved. We will improve and modernize the code
> bases to continue supporting our mobile web users in the future. Please see
> Outcomes 1, 2 and 3 in the wiki page for more detail.
>
> Minerva will become an independent skin without a dependency on
> MobileFrontend, and vice versa. Please see Outcome 4 in the wiki page for
> more detail.
>
> Please visit the project page on MediaWiki.org to learn more about the
> outcomes and outputs, and share your questions. [2]
>
> N.B. This project is distinct from “Output 3.1: Contribution tools on mobile
> web via an existing mediawiki skin” [3], described in the FY 2018-2019 plan.
>
> _____________________
> Joaquin Oltra Hernandez
> Senior Software Engineer, Readers Web
>
> [1]:
> https://wikifarm.wmflabs.org/platformevolution/index.php/Plan:FY18-19/2/7
> [2]:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/Projects/Invest_in_the_MobileFrontend_%26_MinervaNeue_frontend_architecture
> [3]:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Annual_Plan/2018-2019/Audiences#Outcome_3:_Mobile_Contributing

Re: [WikimediaMobile] Announcing project ‘Invest in the MobileFrontend & MinervaNeue frontend architecture’

Jonas Kress
Hey,

I am interested in improving the patrolling workflow for mobile users of
Wikidata and I wonder if you only plan to refactor[1] the code or if you
also will improve the user experience?

Thanks,
Jonas

[1] https://dzone.com/articles/what-refactoring-and-what-it-0

> [...]
> > outcomes and outputs, and share your questions. [2]
> >
> > N.B. This project is distinct from “Output 3.1: Contribution tools on
> mobile
> > web via an existing mediawiki skin” [3], described in the FY 2018-2019
> plan.
> >
> > _____________________
> > Joaquin Oltra Hernandez
> > Senior Software Engineer, Readers Web
> >
> > [1]:
> > https://wikifarm.wmflabs.org/platformevolution/index.php/
> Plan:FY18-19/2/7
> > [2]:
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/Projects/
> Invest_in_the_MobileFrontend_%26_MinervaNeue_frontend_architecture
> > [3]:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_
> Annual_Plan/2018-2019/Audiences#Outcome_3:_Mobile_Contributing

Software Developer

Phone: +49 (0)30 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

Imagine a world, in which every single human being can freely share in the
sum of all knowledge. That‘s our commitment.

Re: [WikimediaMobile] Announcing project ‘Invest in the MobileFrontend & MinervaNeue frontend architecture’

Joaquin Oltra Hernandez
Thanks for the kind words DJ.

I want to clarify that the Readers Web team stopped being the Mobile Web
team years ago, and doesn't only work on the mobile web extension and skin.
We do routinely work on a variety of projects and codebases depending on
our user and maintenance needs.

That said, we care a lot about mobile web users, and we do believe that the
skin and extension that half of the visitors use need to be future proof,
so we are very happy to have room to tackle this technical project.

I understand that there may be some preconceptions about this team from
previous times, but almost no one remains from those times.
We will do more efforts to explain what the pieces and their
responsibilities are going forward, so that the mobile web understanding
spreads and is shared by as many people as possible.

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 11:05 AM, Derk-Jan Hartman <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > N.B. This project is distinct from “Output 3.1: Contribution tools on
> mobile
> > web via an existing mediawiki skin” [3], described in the FY 2018-2019
> plan.
> >
> > _____________________
> > Joaquin Oltra Hernandez
> > Senior Software Engineer, Readers Web
> >
> > [1]:
> > https://wikifarm.wmflabs.org/platformevolution/index.php/
> Plan:FY18-19/2/7
> > [2]:
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/Projects/
> Invest_in_the_MobileFrontend_%26_MinervaNeue_frontend_architecture
> > [3]:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_
> Annual_Plan/2018-2019/Audiences#Outcome_3:_Mobile_Contributing

Re: [WikimediaMobile] Announcing project ‘Invest in the MobileFrontend & MinervaNeue frontend architecture’

Hey Jonas,

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 11:26 AM, Jonas Kress <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I am interested in improving the patrolling workflow for mobile users of
> Wikidata and I wonder if you only plan to refactor[1] the code or if you
> also will improve the user experience?

This project is technical improvements only, so we are not expecting
workflow or feature changes on it.

That said, Audiences has a top level outcome (Outcome 3: Mobile
Contributing [1]) as I mentioned and the Readers Web team will be indeed
responsible for the related output "Output 3.1: Contribution tools on
mobile web via an existing mediawiki skin".

As far as I know at this point in time, the annual plan was just finalized.
I think the *outputs* will go to the planning and definition phase soon, in
preparation for next fiscal year. I think improving the patrolling workflow
for mobile web users could neatly fit under such Output, and would be a
great collaboration. I'll connect you with our PM so that we can talk about
specifics and see how we could help each other.

[1]:
> [...]

> > > Joaquin Oltra Hernandez
> > > Senior Software Engineer, Readers Web
> > >
> > > [1]:
> > > https://wikifarm.wmflabs.org/platformevolution/index.php/
> > Plan:FY18-19/2/7
> > > [2]:
> > > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/Projects/
> > Invest_in_the_MobileFrontend_%26_MinervaNeue_frontend_architecture
> > > [3]:
> > > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_
> > Annual_Plan/2018-2019/Audiences#Outcome_3:_Mobile_Contributing

> Jonas Kress
> Software Developer
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> Phone: +49 (0)30 219 158 26-0
> http://wikimedia.de
>
> Imagine a world, in which every single human being can freely share in the
> sum of all knowledge. That‘s our commitment.

Re: Announcing project ‘Invest in the MobileFrontend & MinervaNeue frontend architecture’

Joaquin Oltra Hernandez
Hi all!

It has been a couple of weeks since the initial email. Thanks to all who
asked and commented, please continue to do so over email, phabricator [1],
or on the wiki talk page [2].

We will proceed to create phabricator #epic tasks and flesh them out in
preparation for the upcoming FY, based on the documentation on-wiki.

Expect more updates to come before starting the work, and some technical
blog posts about related work.

Thanks!

[1]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/profile/67/
[2]: