Anonymous editing

Kevin G Crowston
Jonathan Cardy <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

In case I didn’t make it clear, I am very much of the camp that IP editing is our lifeline, the way we recruit new members.

Tangentially elated to this question, we have a forthcoming paper at the CSCW conference about how research conclusions change when anonymous work (e.g., IP editing) is taken into account. We looked at data from a citizen science project. Short answer: it makes a difference.

The paper isn’t up on the ACM DL yet, but you can see it here: https://crowston.syr.edu/node/756

Doing the study requires access to IP addresses for logged in users, so someone at WMF would have to do the study for Wikipedia, which would be really interesting and would speak to the question of whether IP editing is a gateway to further editing.

Kevin Crowston
Associate Dean for Research, Distinguished Professor of Information Science
School of Information Studies

+1 (315) 443.1676<tel:+1%20(315)%20443.1676>
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

348 Hinds Hall, Syracuse, NY 13244
crowston.syr.edu <http://crowston.syr.edu/>

Syracuse University
Most recent publication:  Kevin Crowston, Isabelle Fagnot. (2018). Stages of motivation for contributing user-generated content: A theory and empirical test. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 109, 89-101,  doi: 10.1016/j.ijhcs.2017.08.005<http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2017.08.005> .

Check out our new research coordination network on Work in the Age of Intelligent Machine:  http://waim.network/

Re: Anonymous editing

Ziko van Dijk-3
Hello Kevin Crowston,

THank you for the link. I have read your paper about the initial phase and
profited very much from it.

My personal opinion on UP editing, not backed by research: IP editing has
negative social consequences for the community. This negative side is not
quite visible when only looking quantitatively at huge data.

Kind regards
Ziko

Kevin G Crowston <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi. 19. Sep. 2018 um 18:41:

> Jonathan Cardy <[hidden email]<mailto:
> [hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> In case I didn’t make it clear, I am very much of the camp that IP editing
> is our lifeline, the way we recruit new members.
>
> Tangentially elated to this question, we have a forthcoming paper at the
> CSCW conference about how research conclusions change when anonymous work
> (e.g., IP editing) is taken into account. We looked at data from a citizen
> science project. Short answer: it makes a difference.
>
> The paper isn’t up on the ACM DL yet, but you can see it here:
> https://crowston.syr.edu/node/756
>
> Doing the study requires access to IP addresses for logged in users, so
> someone at WMF would have to do the study for Wikipedia, which would be
> really interesting and would speak to the question of whether IP editing is
> a gateway to further editing.
>

> Kevin Crowston
> Associate Dean for Research, Distinguished Professor of Information Science
> School of Information Studies
>
> +1 (315) 443.1676<tel:+1%20(315)%20443.1676>
> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> 348 Hinds Hall, Syracuse, NY 13244
> crowston.syr.edu <http://crowston.syr.edu/>
>
> Syracuse University
> Most recent publication:  Kevin Crowston, Isabelle Fagnot. (2018). Stages
> of motivation for contributing user-generated content: A theory and
> empirical test. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 109,
> 89-101,  doi: 10.1016/j.ijhcs.2017.08.005<
> http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2017.08.005> .
>
> Check out our new research coordination network on Work in the Age of
> Intelligent Machine:  http://waim.network/

Re: Anonymous editing

Andrew Lih
This might be interesting, from Wikimania 2015

https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/The_Effect_of_Blocking_IP_Editing:_Evidence_from_Wikia

Video here:

https://archive.org/details/videoeditserver-92

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 12:54 PM Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Kevin Crowston,
>
> THank you for the link. I have read your paper about the initial phase and
> profited very much from it.
>
> My personal opinion on UP editing, not backed by research: IP editing has
> negative social consequences for the community. This negative side is not
> quite visible when only looking quantitatively at huge data.
>
> Kind regards
> Ziko
>

> Kevin G Crowston <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi. 19. Sep. 2018 um 18:41:
>
> > Jonathan Cardy <[hidden email]<mailto:
> > [hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> > In case I didn’t make it clear, I am very much of the camp that IP
> editing
> > is our lifeline, the way we recruit new members.
> >
> > Tangentially elated to this question, we have a forthcoming paper at the
> > CSCW conference about how research conclusions change when anonymous work
> > (e.g., IP editing) is taken into account. We looked at data from a
> citizen
> > science project. Short answer: it makes a difference.
> >
> > The paper isn’t up on the ACM DL yet, but you can see it here:
> > https://crowston.syr.edu/node/756
> >
> > Doing the study requires access to IP addresses for logged in users, so
> > someone at WMF would have to do the study for Wikipedia, which would be
> > really interesting and would speak to the question of whether IP editing
> is
> > a gateway to further editing.
> >

> > Kevin Crowston
> > Associate Dean for Research, Distinguished Professor of Information
> Science
> > School of Information Studies
> >
> > +1 (315) 443.1676<tel:+1%20(315)%20443.1676>
> > [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
> >
> > 348 Hinds Hall, Syracuse, NY 13244
> > crowston.syr.edu <http://crowston.syr.edu/>
> >
> > Syracuse University
> > Most recent publication:  Kevin Crowston, Isabelle Fagnot. (2018). Stages
> > of motivation for contributing user-generated content: A theory and
> > empirical test. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 109,
> > 89-101,  doi: 10.1016/j.ijhcs.2017.08.005<
> > http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2017.08.005> .
> >
> > Check out our new research coordination network on Work in the Age of
> > Intelligent Machine:  http://waim.network/

-Andrew Lih
Author of The Wikipedia Revolution
US National Archives Citizen Archivist of the Year (2016)
Knight Foundation grant recipient - Wikipedia Space (2015)
Wikimedia DC - Outreach and GLAM
Previously: professor of journalism and communications, American
University, Columbia University, USC
---
Email: [hidden email]
WEB: https://muckrack.com/fuzheado