Another 1.17 maintenance window

Rob Lanphier-4
( repost from http://techblog.wikimedia.org )

Continuing with the work started last week[1], we plan to deploy 1.17
to more wikis in a couple hours.  We had hoped we would be able to
figure out the performance issues in the past week, but unfortunately,
the only practical way we have to see the load problems we witnessed
last week is to put the software into production.  We have put a lot
of instrumentation in place to help us diagnose our load issues.  We
plan to start the upcoming deployment by rolling out to
nl.wikipedia.org, and do some debugging (rolling back if necessary).
If we’re able to diagnose and fix the problems quickly, we then plan
to roll out 1.17 more widely.  If we’re still stumped, we may still
roll out to a few more low-traffic wikis, but leave the high-traffic
sites until we figure this out.

We plan to have more updates and detailed information on the
deployment page on mediawiki.org[2].  Thanks for your patience!

Rob
[1]  http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2011/02/1-17deployment-attempt2/
[2]  http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.17/Wikimedia_deployment

Re: [Foundation-l] Another 1.17 maintenance window

Amir E. Aharoni
2011/2/16 Rob Lanphier <[hidden email]>:
> ( repost from http://techblog.wikimedia.org )
>
> Continuing with the work started last week[1], we plan to deploy 1.17
> to more wikis in a couple hours.

(I can't get on IRC now for technical reasons.)

Hebrew Wikibooks is very slow now. Is it being deployed there?

The "Technical maintenance will be performed soon" CentralNotice,
which i translated to Hebrew, still appears in English.

Re: [Foundation-l] Another 1.17 maintenance window

Rob Lanphier
On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 2:26 AM, Amir E. Aharoni
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/2/16 Rob Lanphier <[hidden email]>:
>> ( repost from http://techblog.wikimedia.org )
>>
>> Continuing with the work started last week[1], we plan to deploy 1.17
>> to more wikis in a couple hours.
>
> (I can't get on IRC now for technical reasons.)
>
> Hebrew Wikibooks is very slow now. Is it being deployed there?
>
> The "Technical maintenance will be performed soon" CentralNotice,
> which i translated to Hebrew, still appears in English.

Hi Amir,

The deployment is still happening.  The latest information can be found here:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.17/Wikimedia_deployment

Current update is that we deployed to en.wikipedia.org about 30
minutes ago, and backed it out about 20 minutes ago because of load.
That temporary deployment affected all wikis, but we hope will be
settling out soon as the infrastructure recovers.

I'm not sure about the translation problem...I'll let someone else on
the list chime in.

Rob

Re: [Foundation-l] Another 1.17 maintenance window

Guillaume Paumier-3

Le mercredi 16 février 2011 à 12:26 +0200, Amir E. Aharoni a écrit :

> The "Technical maintenance will be performed soon" CentralNotice,
> which i translated to Hebrew, still appears in English.

It's still listed as needing to be proofread:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CentralNotice/Generic_maintenance_notice#he

Once it has been checked by another translator, please change
"proofreading" to "ready" and I'll update it (no need to send to the
list then).

Guillaume Paumier
Product manager - Wikimedia Foundation
Support free knowledge: http://donate.wikimedia.org