Another WP redesign

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Another WP redesign

David Gerard-2
On 1 February 2013 10:05, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> yet another one requires JavaScript (though it has more features; check
> icons on top):
> http://toolserver.org/~magnus/redefined/?page=Barack_Obama


Looks nice! Feels a bit visually busy ... maybe not being used to it.
The "languages" dropdown seems a bit mystery-meat navigation to me -
perhaps head it "Other languages" like the "Categories" dropdown next
to it.

This page appears to break it:

https://toolserver.org/~magnus/redefined/?page=Factory%20Benelux%20discograpjhy


- d.

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Another WP redesign

Steve Bennett-8
On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 9:16 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks nice! Feels a bit visually busy ... maybe not being used to it.
> The "languages" dropdown seems a bit mystery-meat navigation to me -
> perhaps head it "Other languages" like the "Categories" dropdown next
> to it.

Yeah, the newer one is a lot easier on the eyes. Comparing the two,
the reasons seem to be:
- more space around between text and borders
- the links in the TOC are black in the newer one (really effective!)

I don't really have an opinion on all the elements outside the actual
encyclopaedia content, as I think that's out of scope. Meaning, even
if we had an opinion, it would be too hard to get it implemented :)

Magnus, I spent a while trying to solve the image-overlapping-TOC
problem, but I don't think it's possible with pure CSS, given the
current page structure. With a little bit of javascript, you could set
the TOC to position:relative (like the images) and set top to be minus
its current vertical position.

Steve

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Another WP redesign

Magnus Manske-2
On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 9:16 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Looks nice! Feels a bit visually busy ... maybe not being used to it.
> > The "languages" dropdown seems a bit mystery-meat navigation to me -
> > perhaps head it "Other languages" like the "Categories" dropdown next
> > to it.
>
> Yeah, the newer one is a lot easier on the eyes. Comparing the two,
> the reasons seem to be:
> - more space around between text and borders
> - the links in the TOC are black in the newer one (really effective!)
>
> I don't really have an opinion on all the elements outside the actual
> encyclopaedia content, as I think that's out of scope. Meaning, even
> if we had an opinion, it would be too hard to get it implemented :)
>
> Magnus, I spent a while trying to solve the image-overlapping-TOC
> problem, but I don't think it's possible with pure CSS, given the
> current page structure. With a little bit of javascript, you could set
> the TOC to position:relative (like the images) and set top to be minus
> its current vertical position.
>

Yes, but it's sooooo elegant with pure CSS,  and once I start adding JS,
I'll keep adding code until it becomes self-aware ;-)
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Another WP redesign

David Gerard-2
In reply to this post by David Gerard-2
On 1 February 2013 10:16, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This page appears to break it:
> https://toolserver.org/~magnus/redefined/?page=Factory%20Benelux%20discograpjhy


Well, *that* link is a typo. This link loads the article:

https://toolserver.org/~magnus/redefined/?page=Factory%20Benelux%20discography

- but the tables are no longer sortable!


- d.

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
12