AntiSpoof problems

Luiz Augusto-2
Some days ago I tried to create a user account for myself on
wikimania2007.wikimedia.org. But I receveid the message ''Login error: The
name "555" is not allowed to prevent confusing or spoofed usernames: Does
not contain any letters. Please choose another name.''. I'm a active editor
since July 2004 and use the User:555 in lots of wikis since 23 May 2005.
[[:en:555 (number)#Other fields|Wikipedia have a article devoted to the
number 555]].

Is really necessary this in AntiSpoof extension? I don't imagine any vandal
naming in numbers-only usernames, but something like ''User:5559854123 is
the phone number of the mother of Jimmy'' is possible using numbers '''+'''
letters.

Re: AntiSpoof problems

Neil Harris
Luiz Augusto wrote:

> Some days ago I tried to create a user account for myself on
> wikimania2007.wikimedia.org. But I receveid the message ''Login error: The
> name "555" is not allowed to prevent confusing or spoofed usernames: Does
> not contain any letters. Please choose another name.''. I'm a active editor
> since July 2004 and use the User:555 in lots of wikis since 23 May 2005.
> [[:en:555 (number)#Other fields|Wikipedia have a article devoted to the
> number 555]].
>
> Is really necessary this in AntiSpoof extension? I don't imagine any vandal
> naming in numbers-only usernames, but something like ''User:5559854123 is
> the phone number of the mother of Jimmy'' is possible using numbers '''+'''
> letters.

Luiz,

I think that numbers-only usernames are, in general, a bad idea.
However, all rules can have exceptions...

 From a technical viewpoint, since the blocking only applies to
registration, not use (already-registered names are "grandfathered"), it
would always be possible to make a special exception for you on a
one-time basis, either by quickly turning the blocking off then on again
to let you register, by doing a quick temporary hack to the code to make
an exception to this username, or even by poking the right values into
the database by hand.

-- Neil

Re: AntiSpoof problems

Simetrical
On 11/2/06, Neil Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Luiz,
>
> I think that numbers-only usernames are, in general, a bad idea.
> However, all rules can have exceptions...
>
>  From a technical viewpoint, since the blocking only applies to
> registration, not use (already-registered names are "grandfathered"), it
> would always be possible to make a special exception for you on a
> one-time basis, either by quickly turning the blocking off then on again
> to let you register, by doing a quick temporary hack to the code to make
> an exception to this username, or even by poking the right values into
> the database by hand.

Short numbers (or other letterless strings) seem okay to me, and even
really long ones can have sufficient mnemonic value to be potentially
acceptable (e.g., leetspeak of some kind), subject to judgment of
local admins.  I would drop the letters requirement, myself.

Re: AntiSpoof problems

Raimond Spekking-2
Luiz Augusto schrieb:

> I'm a active editor
> since July 2004 and use the User:555 in lots of wikis since 23 May 2005.
> [[:en:555 (number)#Other fields|Wikipedia have a article devoted to the
> number 555]].

You can ask an admin of this wiki to create this account for you.

Raymond