Any progress on General User Survey?

erikzachte
Piotr:
> So I would like to ask if any of you, especially those who promised
> help with implementation during Wikimania, have been giving
> it some further thought? Every day, we are loosing more
> opportunities to learn about who we are... I think it's a shame.

I talked to Kevin after Wikimania. Kevin gave me the name of an
employee/programmer
who did other wiki related work and is eager to contribute,
but not available till late September.

I also briefly talked about the project with the Special Projects Committee
and got an informal approval from Anthere.

So it is not forgotten. I think we can expect more interest and feedback
from the community
when we have a demo survey form in PHP version with at least two languages
(at least two to demonstrate language dependant issues,
e.g. behind the scenes the form should process index numbers not texts,
like an index number in a country dropdown box, not country names etc).

The technical implementation is not trivial at all and will take time and
require discussion.
For one, authentication will be so much easier after single signon which is
not live yet.

Erik Zachte

Re: Any progress on General User Survey?

Cormac Lawler
On 9/9/06, Erik Zachte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Piotr:
> > So I would like to ask if any of you, especially those who promised
> > help with implementation during Wikimania, have been giving
> > it some further thought? Every day, we are loosing more
> > opportunities to learn about who we are... I think it's a shame.
>
> I talked to Kevin after Wikimania. Kevin gave me the name of an
> employee/programmer
> who did other wiki related work and is eager to contribute,
> but not available till late September.
>
> I also briefly talked about the project with the Special Projects Committee
> and got an informal approval from Anthere.
>
> So it is not forgotten. I think we can expect more interest and feedback
> from the community
> when we have a demo survey form in PHP version with at least two languages
> (at least two to demonstrate language dependant issues,
> e.g. behind the scenes the form should process index numbers not texts,
> like an index number in a country dropdown box, not country names etc).
>
> The technical implementation is not trivial at all and will take time and
> require discussion.
> For one, authentication will be so much easier after single signon which is
> not live yet.
>
> Erik Zachte

Thanks Erik, and yes, there should be no problem in getting this
survey approved (by the SPC) - I think everyone in the community who
knows about it thinks it's a good idea. I also agree with you in that
I don't think there's a rush to get it done *now* - it should be done
properly, IMO, and the technical details worked out. But hopefully we
*can* get this done in reasonable time - and so, on your final point,
is there a tentative timetable for single login? <cough> :-)

Cormac

Re: Any progress on General User Survey?

Kevin Gamble-2
It would probably be a good idea for us to take a fresh look at the survey
to make our final adjustments. Then when the programmer is available we
will be ready to get right on it. I will take a look this week.

Kevin

> On 9/9/06, Erik Zachte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Piotr:
>> > So I would like to ask if any of you, especially those who promised
>> > help with implementation during Wikimania, have been giving
>> > it some further thought? Every day, we are loosing more
>> > opportunities to learn about who we are... I think it's a shame.
>>
>> I talked to Kevin after Wikimania. Kevin gave me the name of an
>> employee/programmer
>> who did other wiki related work and is eager to contribute,
>> but not available till late September.
>>
>> I also briefly talked about the project with the Special Projects
>> Committee
>> and got an informal approval from Anthere.
>>
>> So it is not forgotten. I think we can expect more interest and feedback
>> from the community
>> when we have a demo survey form in PHP version with at least two
>> languages
>> (at least two to demonstrate language dependant issues,
>> e.g. behind the scenes the form should process index numbers not texts,
>> like an index number in a country dropdown box, not country names etc).
>>
>> The technical implementation is not trivial at all and will take time
>> and
>> require discussion.
>> For one, authentication will be so much easier after single signon which
>> is
>> not live yet.
>>
>> Erik Zachte
>>

> Thanks Erik, and yes, there should be no problem in getting this
> survey approved (by the SPC) - I think everyone in the community who
> knows about it thinks it's a good idea. I also agree with you in that
> I don't think there's a rush to get it done *now* - it should be done
> properly, IMO, and the technical details worked out. But hopefully we
> *can* get this done in reasonable time - and so, on your final point,
> is there a tentative timetable for single login? <cough> :-)
>
> Cormac

Re: Any progress on General User Survey?

erikzachte
Cormac, according to Brions presentation at Wikimania, the feature is ready
for deployment/beta test.

The slides are here http://wikimania2006.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proceedings:BV1

I'll quote sheet 17:

Single user status
• This has been delayed a long time because every time devs discuss this, it
becomes a big fight. Details are non-negotiable or we’ll get sidetracked
again!
• Basic back-end login and auto-transition code working
• Should be ready for live transition tests later this month, and can go
live afterwards
• May delay final transition until Wikimedia board election is complete to
avoid breaking votes

So this is really just around the corner :)

Cheers, Erik

Kevin Gamble:
> It would probably be a good idea for us to take a fresh look at the survey
> to make our final adjustments. Then when the programmer is available we
> will be ready to get right on it. I will take a look this week.

Yes indeed. I suggest we focus on functional/technical design first, issues
that affect programming.
Once we have a working demo more people will join the discussion about
specific survey content.
See for a start on programming issues article

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/General_User_Survey/Implementation

On 9/12/06, Erik Zachte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cormac, according to Brions presentation at Wikimania, the feature is ready
> for deployment/beta test.
>
> The slides are here http://wikimania2006.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proceedings:BV1
>
> I'll quote sheet 17:
>
> Single user status
> • This has been delayed a long time because every time devs discuss this, it
> becomes a big fight. Details are non-negotiable or we'll get sidetracked
> again!
> • Basic back-end login and auto-transition code working
> • Should be ready for live transition tests later this month, and can go
> live afterwards
> • May delay final transition until Wikimedia board election is complete to
> avoid breaking votes
>
> So this is really just around the corner :)
>
> Cheers, Erik

Fantastic - thanks for the update Erik (and Brion) :-)

Cormac