Any suggestions of interesting article histories for a comedic talk?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Any suggestions of interesting article histories for a comedic talk?

Michael Peel-4
Hi all,

I'm doing a comedy-science talk on Wikipedia with the theme of 'histories' at a [[Bright Club]] Manchester early next month. My current plan (which is still subject to change) is that I'll talk about the histories of Wikipedia articles, and show some interesting/amusing changes made to articles.

An example would be this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Guantanamo_Bay_Naval_Base&diff=14999825&oldid=14999213
which was a change purported to be made by the FBI back in 2005:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:64.165.110.114

If you know of any interesting diffs/article histories that could make people laugh, then please could you send me some pointers to them (preferably offlist)?

Thanks,
Mike


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any suggestions of interesting article histories for a comedic talk?

Deryck Chan
An interesting AfD I closed recently might be useful for a comedic, yet serious, take on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Public_restrooms_in_Bratislava

On 22 February 2012 15:00, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm doing a comedy-science talk on Wikipedia with the theme of 'histories' at a [[Bright Club]] Manchester early next month. My current plan (which is still subject to change) is that I'll talk about the histories of Wikipedia articles, and show some interesting/amusing changes made to articles.

An example would be this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Guantanamo_Bay_Naval_Base&diff=14999825&oldid=14999213
which was a change purported to be made by the FBI back in 2005:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:64.165.110.114

If you know of any interesting diffs/article histories that could make people laugh, then please could you send me some pointers to them (preferably offlist)?

Thanks,
Mike


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any suggestions of interesting article histories for a comedic talk?

HJ Mitchell
In reply to this post by Michael Peel-4

Harry


From: Michael Peel <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Sent: Wednesday, 22 February 2012, 15:00
Subject: [Wikimediauk-l] Any suggestions of interesting article histories for a comedic talk?

Hi all,

I'm doing a comedy-science talk on Wikipedia with the theme of 'histories' at a [[Bright Club]] Manchester early next month. My current plan (which is still subject to change) is that I'll talk about the histories of Wikipedia articles, and show some interesting/amusing changes made to articles.

An example would be this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Guantanamo_Bay_Naval_Base&diff=14999825&oldid=14999213
which was a change purported to be made by the FBI back in 2005:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:64.165.110.114

If you know of any interesting diffs/article histories that could make people laugh, then please could you send me some pointers to them (preferably offlist)?

Thanks,
Mike


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org



_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any suggestions of interesting article histories for a comedic talk?

Richard Symonds-3
In reply to this post by Michael Peel-4
I reverted this vandalism back in 2011:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mikis_Theodorakis&diff=415810362&oldid=415808524

It's a huge Babylon 5 rewrite of a Greek opera singer, including:
His symphonic works: a [[Piano concerto]], his first [[suite]], his first [[symphony]], and his scores for the [[ballet]]: ''Ode to Lyta, Corianna 6: Aftermath, Z'ha'dum: Been there,still alive (Hommage to Kosh)'', received intergalactic acclaim. In 1957, he won the Gold Medal in the [[Moscow]] Music Festival; President of the Jury was [[Susan Ivanova]]. In 1959, after the successful performances of Theodorakis's ballet ''[[Valen]]'' at [[Royal Opera House|Covent Garden]] in [[Epsilon 3]], the French composer [[Darius Milhaud]] proposed him for the ''American Copley Music Prize'' - an award of the "William and Noma Copley Foundation",<ref>http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt0n39q01q/</ref> which later changed its name to "The Shadow Foundation" - as the "Most vainglorious, self-applauding European Composer of the known Universe". His first intergalactic scores for the film ''[[Grey 17 is missing]]'' and ''[[Honeymoon (1959 film)|I married a Drakh]]'', directors: [[Michael Powell (director)|Michael Powell]] and [[Emeric Pressburger]], were also very successful: The ''Wishing on a White Star'' title song became part of the repertoire of the [[first ones]] although later characterized as a "Weapon of infinite aesthetic torment" and thus strictly forbidden over the rim.

On 22/02/2012 15:00, Michael Peel wrote:
Hi all,

I'm doing a comedy-science talk on Wikipedia with the theme of 'histories' at a [[Bright Club]] Manchester early next month. My current plan (which is still subject to change) is that I'll talk about the histories of Wikipedia articles, and show some interesting/amusing changes made to articles.

An example would be this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Guantanamo_Bay_Naval_Base&diff=14999825&oldid=14999213
which was a change purported to be made by the FBI back in 2005:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:64.165.110.114

If you know of any interesting diffs/article histories that could make people laugh, then please could you send me some pointers to them (preferably offlist)?

Thanks,
Mike


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org


Richard Symonds
Office & Development Manager
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 207 065 0991
-- 
Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Charitable Company
Registered in England and Wales, No: 6741827. Charity No:1144513 Office: 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT.
Wikimedia UK is the local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit
organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for
its contents.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any suggestions of interesting article histories for a comedic talk?

rodward
In reply to this post by Michael Peel-4
Mike you might want to take a look at the article on Dan Norris
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Norris) who was my MP at the time. Look
at the edit history from Oct 2007 - May 2008 when the article was edited
by an editor with the username Dan Norris MP (many of which I reverted).

More recent edits by IPs may also be significant

It made me smile anyway:-)

Rod

> Hi all,
>
> I'm doing a comedy-science talk on Wikipedia with the theme of 'histories'
> at a [[Bright Club]] Manchester early next month. My current plan (which
> is still subject to change) is that I'll talk about the histories of
> Wikipedia articles, and show some interesting/amusing changes made to
> articles.
>
> An example would be this one:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Guantanamo_Bay_Naval_Base&diff=14999825&oldid=14999213
> which was a change purported to be made by the FBI back in 2005:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:64.165.110.114
>
> If you know of any interesting diffs/article histories that could make
> people laugh, then please could you send me some pointers to them
> (preferably offlist)?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia UK mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
>



_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any suggestions of interesting article histories for a comedic talk?

Roger Bamkin
In reply to this post by Richard Symonds-3
If I got stuck for material and bearing in mind the date then I'd use articles that have featured as DYKs on April Fools days -

I'd also note your credentials as Financial Times Journalist -

On 22 February 2012 15:13, Richard Symonds <[hidden email]> wrote:
I reverted this vandalism back in 2011:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mikis_Theodorakis&diff=415810362&oldid=415808524

It's a huge Babylon 5 rewrite of a Greek opera singer, including:
His symphonic works: a [[Piano concerto]], his first [[suite]], his first [[symphony]], and his scores for the [[ballet]]: ''Ode to Lyta, Corianna 6: Aftermath, Z'ha'dum: Been there,still alive (Hommage to Kosh)'', received intergalactic acclaim. In 1957, he won the Gold Medal in the [[Moscow]] Music Festival; President of the Jury was [[Susan Ivanova]]. In 1959, after the successful performances of Theodorakis's ballet ''[[Valen]]'' at [[Royal Opera House|Covent Garden]] in [[Epsilon 3]], the French composer [[Darius Milhaud]] proposed him for the ''American Copley Music Prize'' - an award of the "William and Noma Copley Foundation",<ref>http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt0n39q01q/</ref> which later changed its name to "The Shadow Foundation" - as the "Most vainglorious, self-applauding European Composer of the known Universe". His first intergalactic scores for the film ''[[Grey 17 is missing]]'' and ''[[Honeymoon (1959 film)|I married a Drakh]]'', directors: [[Michael Powell (director)|Michael Powell]] and [[Emeric Pressburger]], were also very successful: The ''Wishing on a White Star'' title song became part of the repertoire of the [[first ones]] although later characterized as a "Weapon of infinite aesthetic torment" and thus strictly forbidden over the rim.


On 22/02/2012 15:00, Michael Peel wrote:
Hi all,

I'm doing a comedy-science talk on Wikipedia with the theme of 'histories' at a [[Bright Club]] Manchester early next month. My current plan (which is still subject to change) is that I'll talk about the histories of Wikipedia articles, and show some interesting/amusing changes made to articles.

An example would be this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Guantanamo_Bay_Naval_Base&diff=14999825&oldid=14999213
which was a change purported to be made by the FBI back in 2005:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:64.165.110.114

If you know of any interesting diffs/article histories that could make people laugh, then please could you send me some pointers to them (preferably offlist)?

Thanks,
Mike


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org


Richard Symonds
Office & Development Manager
Wikimedia UK
<a href="tel:%2B44%20%280%29%20207%20065%200991" value="+442070650991" target="_blank">+44 (0) 207 065 0991
-- 
Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Charitable Company
Registered in England and Wales, No: 6741827. Charity No:1144513 Office: 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT.
Wikimedia UK is the local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit
organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for
its contents.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org




--
Roger Bamkin
01332 702993
0758 2020815
Google+:Victuallers
Skype:Victuallers1
Flickr:Victuallers2


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any suggestions of interesting article histories for a comedic talk?

Michael Peel-4

On 23 Feb 2012, at 14:26, Roger Bamkin wrote:

> I'd also note your credentials as Financial Times Journalist - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Peel 

Hmm; worst Wikipedia article ever? Every single fact is completely wrong, it's almost as if they're writing about someone else! ;-)

Thanks,
Mike
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any suggestions of interesting article histories for a comedic talk?

Roger Bamkin
That works! You ought to do a few edits to show how peiople should not edit there own articles

On 23 February 2012 14:30, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 23 Feb 2012, at 14:26, Roger Bamkin wrote:

> I'd also note your credentials as Financial Times Journalist - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Peel

Hmm; worst Wikipedia article ever? Every single fact is completely wrong, it's almost as if they're writing about someone else! ;-)

Thanks,
Mike
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org



--
Roger Bamkin
01332 702993
0758 2020815
Google+:Victuallers
Skype:Victuallers1
Flickr:Victuallers2


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any suggestions of interesting article histories for a comedic talk?

Martin Poulter-2
Not quite addressing your request, Mike, but one way I've got a laugh
in an introductory presentation is to proclaim, "Wikipedia gives you
what you *need*; the *essential* knowledge that *you* can put into
practice in your daily life" while behind me is projected
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:List_of_unusual_articles#Death

This leads into a serious point about knowledge for its own sake.

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That works! You ought to do a few edits to show how peiople should not edit
> there own articles
>
>
> On 23 February 2012 14:30, Michael Peel <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>>
>> On 23 Feb 2012, at 14:26, Roger Bamkin wrote:
>>
>> > I'd also note your credentials as Financial Times Journalist -
>> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Peel
>>
>> Hmm; worst Wikipedia article ever? Every single fact is completely wrong,
>> it's almost as if they're writing about someone else! ;-)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia UK mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
>> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
>
>
>
>
> --
> Roger Bamkin
> Chair WMUK
> 01332 702993
> 0758 2020815
> Google+:Victuallers
> Skype:Victuallers1
> Flickr:Victuallers2
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia UK mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
>



--
Dr Martin L Poulter
Board member/ Trustee, Wikimedia UK   http://uk.wikimedia.org/
Wikipedia contributor
http://enwp.org/User:MartinPoulter
Musician
http://myspace.com/comapilot
Person                                                 http://infobomb.org/

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any suggestions of interesting article histories for a comedic talk?

Michael Peel-4
Hi all,

Many thanks for the suggestions. :-) In the end, I included mentions of the FBI removing Guantanamo Bay satellite shots [1], the CIA pointing out that Wikipedia's content wasn't very secure [2] (I gave them the verbal equivalent of a hug here), Dan Norris MP's 2008 edits to his own article [3] (including why this is a bad thing, but that it was good he was open and honest about it), as well as talking about what has become my favourite article, on [[Toilet paper orientation]] (most people at the event were 'over'). It all seemed to go down well, with plenty of laughs, and I hope that we gained some new editors as a result (the end of my talk included an appeal for those present to edit).

Thanks,
Mike

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Guantanamo_Bay_Naval_Base&diff=14999825&oldid=14999213
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Welcome,_newcomers&diff=prev&oldid=6940846
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dan_Norris&offset=20080618113513&action=history

On 24 Feb 2012, at 14:44, Martin Poulter wrote:

> Not quite addressing your request, Mike, but one way I've got a laugh
> in an introductory presentation is to proclaim, "Wikipedia gives you
> what you *need*; the *essential* knowledge that *you* can put into
> practice in your daily life" while behind me is projected
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:List_of_unusual_articles#Death
>
> This leads into a serious point about knowledge for its own sake.
>
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That works! You ought to do a few edits to show how peiople should not edit
>> there own articles
>>
>>
>> On 23 February 2012 14:30, Michael Peel <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> On 23 Feb 2012, at 14:26, Roger Bamkin wrote:
>>>
>>>> I'd also note your credentials as Financial Times Journalist -
>>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Peel
>>>
>>> Hmm; worst Wikipedia article ever? Every single fact is completely wrong,
>>> it's almost as if they're writing about someone else! ;-)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mike
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Wikimedia UK mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
>>> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Roger Bamkin
>> Chair WMUK
>> 01332 702993
>> 0758 2020815
>> Google+:Victuallers
>> Skype:Victuallers1
>> Flickr:Victuallers2
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia UK mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
>> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Dr Martin L Poulter
> Board member/ Trustee, Wikimedia UK   http://uk.wikimedia.org/
> Wikipedia contributor
> http://enwp.org/User:MartinPoulter
> Musician
> http://myspace.com/comapilot
> Person                                                 http://infobomb.org/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia UK mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org