Anyone going to WikiMania?

Mark Clements (HappyDog)
Hi there,

As it's on my doorstep, I've got myself tickets to WikiMania 2014, including
the hackathon.

I've never been to a hackathon before!  What should I expect?  Are any of
you guys coming?

- Mark Clements
HappyDog

Re: Anyone going to WikiMania?

Max Semenik
A lot of us coming, both WMF and volunteer developers. Bring your laptop
and your brain, of course - we'll have fun!

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 2:47 AM, Mark Clements (HappyDog) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> As it's on my doorstep, I've got myself tickets to WikiMania 2014,
> including the hackathon.
>
> I've never been to a hackathon before!  What should I expect?  Are any of
> you guys coming?
>
> - Mark Clements
> HappyDog

Best regards,
Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

Re: Anyone going to WikiMania?

Jasper Deng
I'm coming, although I'm a mere volunteer.

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 10:35 PM, Max Semenik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A lot of us coming, both WMF and volunteer developers. Bring your laptop
> and your brain, of course - we'll have fun!
>

> On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 2:47 AM, Mark Clements (HappyDog) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > As it's on my doorstep, I've got myself tickets to WikiMania 2014,
> > including the hackathon.
> >
> > I've never been to a hackathon before!  What should I expect?  Are any of
> > you guys coming?
> >
> > - Mark Clements
> > HappyDog

> Best regards,
> Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

Re: Anyone going to WikiMania?

Marc-Andre
On 07/19/2014 05:47 AM, Mark Clements (HappyDog) wrote:
> I've never been to a hackathon before!  What should I expect?  Are any
> of you guys coming?

Hackathons tend to cover the range from "complete newbie" to "Brion";
it's the meeting place for everyone who are involved - or want to get
involved - in everything related to technical aspects of
Mediawiki/Wikimedia; from core to language to tools.

It's actually quite fun; you get to sit down and work with like-minded
people on most everything that strikes you fancy, and whatever you want
to learn you are certain you meet someone there you can teach you.  (And
vice-versa!).  Whether you feel like sitting down and to a hacking run,
flit from one topic to another to find new things you can help with, or
just want to meet-and-greet you'll find something for you.

-- Marc

Re: Anyone going to WikiMania?

Keegan Peterzell-2
On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Marc A. Pelletier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/19/2014 05:47 AM, Mark Clements (HappyDog) wrote:
> > I've never been to a hackathon before!  What should I expect?  Are any
> > of you guys coming?
>
> Hackathons tend to cover the range from "complete newbie" to "Brion";
> it's the meeting place for everyone who are involved - or want to get
> involved - in everything related to technical aspects of
> Mediawiki/Wikimedia; from core to language to tools.
>
> It's actually quite fun; you get to sit down and work with like-minded
> people on most everything that strikes you fancy, and whatever you want
> to learn you are certain you meet someone there you can teach you.  (And
> vice-versa!).  Whether you feel like sitting down and to a hacking run,
> flit from one topic to another to find new things you can help with, or
> just want to meet-and-greet you'll find something for you.

Relevant reading:

*<https://wikimania2014.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hackathon>: What to expect, the
schedule, etc...

*<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Hackathon/Laptop_setup>: What and how to
install the tools you need if you don't have them already (Git, Gerrit,
MediaWiki-Vagrant, etc..)

I hope you enjoy the hackathon, Mark!

--
Keegan Peterzell
Community Liaison, Product

Re: Anyone going to WikiMania?

Tim Starling-2
On 21/07/14 00:24, Marc A. Pelletier wrote:
> On 07/19/2014 05:47 AM, Mark Clements (HappyDog) wrote:
>> I've never been to a hackathon before!  What should I expect?  Are any
>> of you guys coming?
>
> Hackathons tend to cover the range from "complete newbie" to "Brion";
> it's the meeting place for everyone who are involved - or want to get
> involved - in everything related to technical aspects of
> Mediawiki/Wikimedia; from core to language to tools.

It will be big, maybe 345 people. If previous Wikimanias are a useful
guide, many of the people will be locals who have only a passing
interest in MediaWiki, and were just looking for a cheap tech
conference to go to. Local students who know nothing about MediaWiki
will walk up to you and shake your hand, while some active, long-term
developers will sit in a corner by themselves staring at their laptops.

Reading name badges is useful, especially if the font is large enough
that it can be read without seeming intrusive. Hopefully we will have
a wikified attendence list. If you know that someone is present who
you want to talk to, you can ask someone to point them out to you.

My advice is to concentrate on the things you can't do at home. Meet
people, get to know them, build a rapport. Listen to their ideas, get
inspired, share your own ideas in return. Don't expect to write a
significant amount of code.

I will be there.

-- Tim Starling

Re: Anyone going to WikiMania?

Pine W
There will be a number of Individual Engagement Grants Committee members
attending Wikimania who would be happy to discuss all kinds of ideas with
people and hopefully make connections with IdeaLab or other appropriate
resources. Siko, Quimm or other IEGCom people may want to add their
thoughts here.

Pine

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 7:09 PM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 21/07/14 00:24, Marc A. Pelletier wrote:
> > On 07/19/2014 05:47 AM, Mark Clements (HappyDog) wrote:
> >> I've never been to a hackathon before!  What should I expect?  Are any
> >> of you guys coming?
> >
> > Hackathons tend to cover the range from "complete newbie" to "Brion";
> > it's the meeting place for everyone who are involved - or want to get
> > involved - in everything related to technical aspects of
> > Mediawiki/Wikimedia; from core to language to tools.
>
> It will be big, maybe 345 people. If previous Wikimanias are a useful
> guide, many of the people will be locals who have only a passing
> interest in MediaWiki, and were just looking for a cheap tech
> conference to go to. Local students who know nothing about MediaWiki
> will walk up to you and shake your hand, while some active, long-term
> developers will sit in a corner by themselves staring at their laptops.
>
> Reading name badges is useful, especially if the font is large enough
> that it can be read without seeming intrusive. Hopefully we will have
> a wikified attendence list. If you know that someone is present who
> you want to talk to, you can ask someone to point them out to you.
>
> My advice is to concentrate on the things you can't do at home. Meet
> people, get to know them, build a rapport. Listen to their ideas, get
> inspired, share your own ideas in return. Don't expect to write a
> significant amount of code.
>
> I will be there.
>
> -- Tim Starling

Re: Anyone going to WikiMania?

Mark Clements (HappyDog)
Thanks for all your great responses and tips!  I'm really looking forward to
it.

See you there!

- Mark Clements (HappyDog)

"Tim Starling" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:lqhsp5$aco$[hidden email]...

> On 21/07/14 00:24, Marc A. Pelletier wrote:
>> On 07/19/2014 05:47 AM, Mark Clements (HappyDog) wrote:
>>> I've never been to a hackathon before!  What should I expect?  Are any
>>> of you guys coming?
>>
>> Hackathons tend to cover the range from "complete newbie" to "Brion";
>> it's the meeting place for everyone who are involved - or want to get
>> involved - in everything related to technical aspects of
>> Mediawiki/Wikimedia; from core to language to tools.
>
> It will be big, maybe 345 people. If previous Wikimanias are a useful
> guide, many of the people will be locals who have only a passing
> interest in MediaWiki, and were just looking for a cheap tech
> conference to go to. Local students who know nothing about MediaWiki
> will walk up to you and shake your hand, while some active, long-term
> developers will sit in a corner by themselves staring at their laptops.
>
> Reading name badges is useful, especially if the font is large enough
> that it can be read without seeming intrusive. Hopefully we will have
> a wikified attendence list. If you know that someone is present who
> you want to talk to, you can ask someone to point them out to you.
>
> My advice is to concentrate on the things you can't do at home. Meet
> people, get to know them, build a rapport. Listen to their ideas, get
> inspired, share your own ideas in return. Don't expect to write a
> significant amount of code.
>
> I will be there.
>
> -- Tim Starling

Re: Anyone going to WikiMania?

Sumana Harihareswara-2
Good advice, Tim.

I won't be at Wikimania or at the hackathon; I hope people have a lot of
useful conversations.

If you want something to happen, it's a good idea to put it on
https://wikimania2014.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hackathon/Brainstorming now. For
instance, if you want there to be an architecture discussion around Daniel
Kinzler's idea of using factory functions for component instantiation or
you want to learn how to review code better, or you want a repeat of one of
the tutorials from Zurich that you missed
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Z%C3%BCrich_Hackathon_2014/Schedule , ask
for it now so people can plan a bit. :)

Sumana Harihareswara
Senior Technical Writer
Wikimedia Foundation

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 10:09 PM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 21/07/14 00:24, Marc A. Pelletier wrote:
> > On 07/19/2014 05:47 AM, Mark Clements (HappyDog) wrote:
> >> I've never been to a hackathon before!  What should I expect?  Are any
> >> of you guys coming?
> >
> > Hackathons tend to cover the range from "complete newbie" to "Brion";
> > it's the meeting place for everyone who are involved - or want to get
> > involved - in everything related to technical aspects of
> > Mediawiki/Wikimedia; from core to language to tools.
>
> It will be big, maybe 345 people. If previous Wikimanias are a useful
> guide, many of the people will be locals who have only a passing
> interest in MediaWiki, and were just looking for a cheap tech
> conference to go to. Local students who know nothing about MediaWiki
> will walk up to you and shake your hand, while some active, long-term
> developers will sit in a corner by themselves staring at their laptops.
>
> Reading name badges is useful, especially if the font is large enough
> that it can be read without seeming intrusive. Hopefully we will have
> a wikified attendence list. If you know that someone is present who
> you want to talk to, you can ask someone to point them out to you.
>
> My advice is to concentrate on the things you can't do at home. Meet
> people, get to know them, build a rapport. Listen to their ideas, get
> inspired, share your own ideas in return. Don't expect to write a
> significant amount of code.
>
> I will be there.
>
> -- Tim Starling

Re: Anyone going to WikiMania?

Quim Gil-2
On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Sumana Harihareswara <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> If you want something to happen, it's a good idea to put it on
> https://wikimania2014.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hackathon/Brainstorming now.

Note that the session proposals are being listed at
https://wikimania2014.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hackathon#Topics