Anyone interested in a Wikimania panel on research ethics?

Anyone interested in a Wikimania panel on research ethics?

R.Stuart Geiger
Greetings wiki researchers,

Looking through the submissions for Wikimania, I see that there is nothing yet on the subject of researchers in Wikipedia and there could be a good panel or workshop discussion on this topic.  At the moment, the theme would be something along the lines of "Researchers in my Wikipedia? It's more likely than you think" and have wiki researchers on the panel who will talk about ethics, protocols, methodologies, and their relation to community norms and policies. Topics like the SRAG are especially relevant, and there are lots of other issues out there with ethnographic research, archival/data privacy, and more.  My idea for the Wikimania panel is to build a dialog with the community on these issues, but if there is enough interest, an excellent open space session at WikiSym could easily be organized to deal with the more academic side of this issue.  I'm also open to other ideas if other people have them.

So if anyone who is going to Wikimania and Wikisym is interested in this, please let me know today or tomorrow.  Sorry for doing this so late, but I just realized that the deadline is the 20th.

Thanks,
Stuart Geiger

Re: Anyone interested in a Wikimania panel onresearch ethics?

Mayo Fuster Morell
Hi Stuart! Good idea! I am interested, Mayo

«·´`·.(*·.¸(`·.¸ ¸.·´)¸.·*).·´`·»
«·´`·.(¸.·´(¸.·* *·.¸)`·.¸).·´`·»

Research Digital Commons Governance: http://www.onlinecreation.info
European University Institute - Phd Candidate
School of information Berkeley Visiting researcher
Phone Italy: 0039-3345440747 or 0039-0558409982
Phone Spanish State: 0034-648877748
E-mail: [hidden email]
Skype: mayoneti
Identi.ca: Mayo

Re: Anyone interested in a Wikimania panel on research ethics?

Cormac Lawler
On 19 May 2010 18:27, R.Stuart Geiger <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes, definitely interested, Stuart - particularly in the topic of public/private spaces and the use of data from them. Also in the relationship between research ethics and researchers' participation in the community.

Cormac

Re: Anyone interested in a Wikimania panel on research ethics?

Aaron Halfaker-2
There are two policy/guideline working drafts on en.wp that Stuart was referring to.  They could use really input.
  • Research policy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:Research
    • Passed RFC and became policy for about 15 minutes before being nominated for deletion
    • Plenty of discussion on the talk page about what should be done next
  • Subject Recruitment Approvals Group (SRAG): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:SRAG
    • Was a guideline for 15 minutes along with WP:Research
    • Most of the discussion about SRAG is @ WP:Research

-Aaron Halfaker
GroupLens Research
University of Minnesota

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Cormac Lawler <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Felipe Ortega

[...]

Also interested in both topics.I think that having an Open Space session in WikiSym on this topic is a terrific idea.

F.

Cormac

-----Adjunto en línea a continuación-----

Re: Anyone interested in a Wikimania panel on research ethics?

Andrea Forte
Hi sorry, I'm late catching up on emails this week but I'll be there
and am interested!
Andrea

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 1:27 PM, R.Stuart Geiger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings wiki researchers,
> Looking through the submissions for Wikimania, I see that there is nothing
> yet on the subject of researchers in Wikipedia and there could be a good
> panel or workshop discussion on this topic.  At the moment, the theme would
> be something along the lines of "Researchers in my Wikipedia? It's more
> likely than you think" and have wiki researchers on the panel who will talk
> about ethics, protocols, methodologies, and their relation to community
> norms and policies. Topics like the SRAG are especially relevant, and there
> are lots of other issues out there with ethnographic research, archival/data
> privacy, and more.  My idea for the Wikimania panel is to build
> a dialog with the community on these issues, but if there is enough
> interest, an excellent open space session at WikiSym could easily be
> organized to deal with the more academic side of this issue.  I'm also open
> to other ideas if other people have them.
> So if anyone who is going to Wikimania and Wikisym is interested in this,
> please let me know today or tomorrow.  Sorry for doing this so late, but I
> just realized that the deadline is the 20th.
> Thanks,
> Stuart Geiger

 :: Andrea Forte
 :: Assistant Professor
 :: College of Information Science and Technology, Drexel University
 :: http://www.andreaforte.net