Appreciation thread, 2015

Legoktm
Hi,

It's been a while since we had one of these, and 2015 has been a very
busy year! :-)

I'll quote Sumana from last time:

> How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
> other?  Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking
> them.
> [If you don't get thanked and you feel mopey, email me and I'll
> comfort you. :-)]

I'll start off with thank yous to:
* Addshore, for his awesome work on CatWatch and help with recent
ExtensionDistributor improvements
* YuviPanda, for coming up with unique and useful tools for Wikimedians,
and then following through and building them
* S Page, for consistently nagging me and other developers to improve
documentation

-- Legoktm

Re: Appreciation thread, 2015

Amir Sarabadani-2
I would like to thank:

*Legoktm: For starting this thread and his awesome work in SUL
*Halfak: for his unstoppable drive to make wikipedia better
*Lydia Pintscher and her amazing team: For the one and only Wikidata :)

Best

On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 11:56 AM Legoktm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's been a while since we had one of these, and 2015 has been a very
> busy year! :-)
>
> I'll quote Sumana from last time:
>
> > How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
> > other?  Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking
> > them.
> > [If you don't get thanked and you feel mopey, email me and I'll
> > comfort you. :-)]
>

> I'll start off with thank yous to:
> * Addshore, for his awesome work on CatWatch and help with recent
> ExtensionDistributor improvements
> * YuviPanda, for coming up with unique and useful tools for Wikimedians,
> and then following through and building them
> * S Page, for consistently nagging me and other developers to improve
> documentation
>
> -- Legoktm

Re: Appreciation thread, 2015

Florian Schmidt
* James F. and team: for the awesome work on VE and, especially, for the integration of most used extension parser tags
* MatmaRex: for his work on OOJs-UI and ways to use it in MediaWiki core
* Legoktm: for all the help I received, difficult to find "that" thing to thank
* Jon Robson, Sam, Bmansurov, Jhernandez, JKatz: for the work on making MediaWiki better and better for mobile devices

Just some people I remember :]

Best,
Florian

It's been a while since we had one of these, and 2015 has been a very
busy year! :-)

I'll quote Sumana from last time:

> How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
> other?  Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking
> them.
> [If you don't get thanked and you feel mopey, email me and I'll
> comfort you. :-)]

I'll start off with thank yous to:
* Addshore, for his awesome work on CatWatch and help with recent
ExtensionDistributor improvements
* YuviPanda, for coming up with unique and useful tools for Wikimedians,
and then following through and building them
* S Page, for consistently nagging me and other developers to improve
documentation

-- Legoktm

Re: Appreciation thread, 2015

Aaron Halfaker-3
Oooh!  Great idea.  Thanks to:

* DarTar: for being an awesome manager.  My meeting load was cut in half
over the last few months and that has let me work much more productively on
the tech/science of Wikimedia.  I should also mention the organizing work
he is doing to turn citations and scholarly works into Wikimedia open
knowledge items.  I think this is going to be huge in the next couple of
years.
* YuviPanda: for his hard work and vision that is slowly rebuilding the
core infrastructures for tool developers.  Without Yuvi, we'd be building
critical technologies on top of a technological house of cards.
* Gwicke: for being very reasonable in our technological disagreements.
It's important that reasonable people can disagree without thinking less of
each other.  We need more of that in our technical spaces.
* rfarrand & qgil: for being an excellent resource around hackathons and
other dev events.  Also for driving us to be more social.  Their buddy
program has really helped me expand participation in my projects and
allowed me to be a resource for newcomers.
* joal: for finding time to help me with *really really* big data problems
and for always being cheerful in whatever situation.  You make all the work
more fun just by being yourself.
* milimetric: for his calm and consistent pressure on technical and social
issues around Wikimedia.  I owe a lot of sanity to milimetric's ability to
balance long term vision with short-term needs explicitly.
* mgalloway: for moving design and UI standardization work to-the-wiki and
innovating on open processes for collaboration around design.
* Ladsgroup: for his tireless work on making quality control in Wikidata
work better.
* J-Mo: for his hard work building a case for the Wikipedia Teahouse
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Teahouse> and seeing it through.

There are more, but I figured I should stop at some point.

On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 2:25 AM, Legoktm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's been a while since we had one of these, and 2015 has been a very
> busy year! :-)
>
> I'll quote Sumana from last time:
>
> > How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
> > other?  Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking
> > them.
> > [If you don't get thanked and you feel mopey, email me and I'll
> > comfort you. :-)]
>

> I'll start off with thank yous to:
> * Addshore, for his awesome work on CatWatch and help with recent
> ExtensionDistributor improvements
> * YuviPanda, for coming up with unique and useful tools for Wikimedians,
> and then following through and building them
> * S Page, for consistently nagging me and other developers to improve
> documentation
>
> -- Legoktm

Re: Appreciation thread, 2015

Prateek Saxena
* Pau Giner, for helping me think better about design.
* Mark Holmquist, for helping me think better about code.
* Bartosz Dziewoński, for helping me think better.

—prtksxna

On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Legoktm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's been a while since we had one of these, and 2015 has been a very
> busy year! :-)
>
> I'll quote Sumana from last time:
>
>> How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
>> other?  Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking
>> them.
>> [If you don't get thanked and you feel mopey, email me and I'll
>> comfort you. :-)]
>

> I'll start off with thank yous to:
> * Addshore, for his awesome work on CatWatch and help with recent
> ExtensionDistributor improvements
> * YuviPanda, for coming up with unique and useful tools for Wikimedians,
> and then following through and building them
> * S Page, for consistently nagging me and other developers to improve
> documentation
>
> -- Legoktm

Re: Appreciation thread, 2015

Antoine Musso-3
Le 05/12/2015 09:25, Legoktm a écrit :

> It's been a while since we had one of these, and 2015 has been a very
> busy year! :-)
>
> I'll quote Sumana from last time:
>
>> > How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
>> > other?  Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking
>> > them.
>> > [If you don't get thanked and you feel mopey, email me and I'll
>> > comfort you. :-)]

Thank you Adam, Jan, Kunal, Timo for the major CI overhaul done this
year from refactoring jobs to introducing composer and more.

A special '''thank you''' to Paladox who have sent so many CI changes he
ended up being the 4th contributor in less than six months. Learned from
early mistakes and is now a strong contributor.

A side thanks to the OpenStack foundation infrastructure team which we
borrow the CI stack from. They are always willing to help us fix up the
Wikimedia specific installation.

All developers of the python wikibot framework who probably have the
largest leverage when it comes to edits per dev ratio.  Keep pollinating
python software.

Thank you Tim, Giuseppe, Ori and all involved in the HHVM work. We
switched a year ago and the long tail of the migration is almost done.

WMDE developers and Wikidata developers. I still have no idea how
Wikidata/Wikibase works but I praise your professionalism when it comes
to testing and deployment.

Finally, a huge thank to all volunteers being bold with the code.
Countless changes and some piece of the infra are 100% volunteer driven.

Be bold!

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: Appreciation thread, 2015

Oliver Keyes-4
Thenk you to Dan and Wes and Tomasz for making the Discovery team a
good team to be in, Mikhail Popov for being a better student than I am
a teacher, and Erik Bernhardson for his constant, chill acceptance of
seemingly-arbitrary implementation demands for testing :)

On 7 December 2015 at 14:09, Antoine Musso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 05/12/2015 09:25, Legoktm a écrit :
>> It's been a while since we had one of these, and 2015 has been a very
>> busy year! :-)
>>
>> I'll quote Sumana from last time:

> Thank you Adam, Jan, Kunal, Timo for the major CI overhaul done this
> year from refactoring jobs to introducing composer and more.
>
> A special '''thank you''' to Paladox who have sent so many CI changes he
> ended up being the 4th contributor in less than six months. Learned from
> early mistakes and is now a strong contributor.
>
> A side thanks to the OpenStack foundation infrastructure team which we
> borrow the CI stack from. They are always willing to help us fix up the
> Wikimedia specific installation.
>

> All developers of the python wikibot framework who probably have the
> largest leverage when it comes to edits per dev ratio.  Keep pollinating
> python software.
>
> Thank you Tim, Giuseppe, Ori and all involved in the HHVM work. We
> switched a year ago and the long tail of the migration is almost done.
>
> WMDE developers and Wikidata developers. I still have no idea how
> Wikidata/Wikibase works but I praise your professionalism when it comes
> to testing and deployment.
>

> Finally, a huge thank to all volunteers being bold with the code.
> Countless changes and some piece of the infra are 100% volunteer driven.
>
> Be bold!
>

> --
> Antoine "hashar" Musso

Oliver Keyes
Count Logula

Re: Appreciation thread, 2015

Dan Garry
On 7 December 2015 at 11:17, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thenk you to Dan and Wes and Tomasz for making the Discovery team a
> good team to be in

<333

Dan

--
Dan Garry
Lead Product Manager, Discovery

Re: Appreciation thread, 2015

James Forrester-4
On 5 December 2015 at 00:25, Legoktm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's been a while since we had one of these, and 2015 has been a very
> busy year! :-)
>
> I'll quote Sumana from last time:
>
> > How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
> > other?  Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking
> > them.
> > [If you don't get thanked and you feel mopey, email me and I'll
> > comfort you. :-)]

​Some quick thank yous:

   - TheDJ and Brion for making some serious headway on improving and
   modernising our video playback;
   - Chris Steipp for his valiant care, attention to detail and continued
   passion;
   - Oliver K. for being a true and honest friend;
   - The Operations department, far too often the unsung heroes who make so
   much of what we do Just Work™;
   - Dan G. for clear and helpful advice on product management, and telling
   me when I'm wrong;
   - Salix alba, John Broughton, The Anome and many other editors who've
   helped us improve the editing tools we provide, in VE, in formulæ, in
   wikitext, in citations and further afield;
   - Andre for pushing me to be clearer, more open and more inclusive on
   Phabricator and elsewhere;
   - Nirzar for all his help on improving our work on design in
   VisualEditor and elsewhere, and Volker E. and May G. for their continued
   perseverance in maintaining and extending our standardisation efforts;
   - Sherry, Erica, Nick, Keegan, Benoît, Johan, Moushira and of course
   Rachel for providing as Community Liaison a strong, clear and true voice
   arguing for editors, holding me to promises, keeping me honest;
   - Reedy for helping us in his spare time, fixing the issues big and
   small;
   - Ori, Gilles, Aaron, Peter and Timo in the Performance team doing
   amazing things in faster shipping of faster software;
   - Bryan Davis for his commitment, candour and clarity of vision;
   - Quim and Rachel, for all they do in making in-person and online events
   not just great, but also better each time;
   - Yuri for unleashing the Graph extension on an unsuspecting cluster and
   giving a new way of presenting information to editors;
   - Greg Grossmeier and his team for capable, drama-free, reliable,
   dependable release engineering, and the drive to incrementally improve
   everything for each of us day after day and week after week;
   - Dan Andreescu and Aaron Halfaker for all their help, advice and
   support on improving our understanding of the world;
   - all the colleagues, volunteers and friends I've not mentioned;
   - … and, finally, all my teams in Editing, who've been wonderful to work
   with this year, including Lindsey Anne, Joe M., Thalia, Frédéric, David L.,
   Neil, and Joel A., 'new' starters this year, and especially Trevor, our
   head.

​J.
--
James D. Forrester
Lead Product Manager, Editing

[hidden email] | @jdforrester

Re: Appreciation thread, 2015

Isarra Yos
Perhaps a thanks to the people we don't think about, who we often never
even work with. Volunteers and third-party developers who contribute to
and maintain repositories not part of the big tickets. People who take
the time to file bugs, and triage them, and sort things out. The ops who
keep things running, even when on a plane. Those who comment on
proposals, finding problems, expressing support. Liaisons, developers,
designers who take the time to reach out and talk to the people affected
by what they do, and take the time to listen.

And also a thanks to everyone on this list for keeping things fairly
sensible and productive and not turning it into a massive drama fest
every tuesday.

On 05/12/15 08:25, Legoktm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's been a while since we had one of these, and 2015 has been a very
> busy year! :-)
>
> I'll quote Sumana from last time:
>
>> How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
>> other?  Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking
>> them.
>> [If you don't get thanked and you feel mopey, email me and I'll
>> comfort you. :-)]
>
> I'll start off with thank yous to:
> * Addshore, for his awesome work on CatWatch and help with recent
> ExtensionDistributor improvements
> * YuviPanda, for coming up with unique and useful tools for Wikimedians,
> and then following through and building them
> * S Page, for consistently nagging me and other developers to improve
> documentation
>
> -- Legoktm

Re: Appreciation thread, 2015

Yuri Astrakhan-2
* JGirault, TheDJ, Milimetric, and Ferdbold for their hard work on graphs
* MaxSem, Akosiaris, bblack and johannesk_wmde for the maps

Everyone - for helping )

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 2:38 AM, Isarra Yos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perhaps a thanks to the people we don't think about, who we often never
> even work with. Volunteers and third-party developers who contribute to and
> maintain repositories not part of the big tickets. People who take the time
> to file bugs, and triage them, and sort things out. The ops who keep things
> running, even when on a plane. Those who comment on proposals, finding
> problems, expressing support. Liaisons, developers, designers who take the
> time to reach out and talk to the people affected by what they do, and take
> the time to listen.
>
> And also a thanks to everyone on this list for keeping things fairly
> sensible and productive and not turning it into a massive drama fest every
> tuesday.
>

> On 05/12/15 08:25, Legoktm wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It's been a while since we had one of these, and 2015 has been a very
>> busy year! :-)
>>
>> I'll quote Sumana from last time:
>>
>> How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
>>> other?  Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking
>>> them.
>>> [If you don't get thanked and you feel mopey, email me and I'll
>>> comfort you. :-)]
>>>

>> I'll start off with thank yous to:
>> * Addshore, for his awesome work on CatWatch and help with recent
>> ExtensionDistributor improvements
>> * YuviPanda, for coming up with unique and useful tools for Wikimedians,
>> and then following through and building them
>> * S Page, for consistently nagging me and other developers to improve
>> documentation
>>
>> -- Legoktm

Re: Appreciation thread, 2015

Kartik Mistry
On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Legoktm <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's been a while since we had one of these, and 2015 has been a very
> busy year! :-)

ie Appreciation thread of 2015!

* Santhosh, Niklas and Amir: For all (hard) work on ContentTranslation!
* Runa: For being awesome manager.
* Pau: For amazing design and being 'voice' of the team.
* Alex (akosiaris) + Ops: For all help in Puppet and config.
* Bryan Davis and Reedy and Chad: For helping in emergency
deployment(s) when needed.

Thanks!

--
Kartik Mistry/કાર્તિક મિસ્ત્રી | IRC: kart_
{kartikm, 0x1f1f}.wordpress.com

Re: Appreciation thread, 2015

Vi to
My appreciation goes to:
*Wikidata developers which turned into solid reality one of the most
dreamlike ideas of our universe
*Those developers who didn't forget their roots in daily building the
encyclopedia
*Those folks promptly responding to emergencies...even those caused by
themselves :p

Vito

Il 08/12/2015 05:05, Kartik Mistry ha scritto:

> On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Legoktm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It's been a while since we had one of these, and 2015 has been a very
>> busy year! :-)
> ie Appreciation thread of 2015!
>
> * Santhosh, Niklas and Amir: For all (hard) work on ContentTranslation!
> * Runa: For being awesome manager.
> * Pau: For amazing design and being 'voice' of the team.
> * Alex (akosiaris) + Ops: For all help in Puppet and config.
> * Bryan Davis and Reedy and Chad: For helping in emergency
> deployment(s) when needed.
>
> Thanks!

Re: Appreciation thread, 2015

Rob Lanphier-4
On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Vituzzu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> *Wikidata developers which turned into solid reality one of the most
> dreamlike ideas of our universe

+thousands to this.

If I started on the full list of stuff I should say "thanks" for, I might
never get around to hitting send.  I'm ok with Wikidata being the only
thing on the list for now, because it's (still) such a big deal.

Rob

Re: Appreciation thread, 2015

Pine W
I could name a lot of individuals. I'll name these in particular: Peaceray,
Bluerasberry, Siko, Rory, and the now-departed Gayle and Philippe. I'm
grateful for them.

Pine

On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 12:25 AM, Legoktm <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's been a while since we had one of these, and 2015 has been a very
> busy year! :-)
>
> I'll quote Sumana from last time:
>
> > How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
> > other?  Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking
> > them.
> > [If you don't get thanked and you feel mopey, email me and I'll
> > comfort you. :-)]
>

> I'll start off with thank yous to:
> * Addshore, for his awesome work on CatWatch and help with recent
> ExtensionDistributor improvements
> * YuviPanda, for coming up with unique and useful tools for Wikimedians,
> and then following through and building them
> * S Page, for consistently nagging me and other developers to improve
> documentation
>
> -- Legoktm

Re: Appreciation thread, 2015

Bill Morrisson
I would like to thank Andre Klapper, Johan Jonsson, Matthew Flaschen and
Brian Wolff for the warm welcome and collaboration to my first patch
contribution. I'm really grateful for them.

Billm