ApprovedRevs and SMW queries

Mark A. Hershberger-4

Is there a way to integrate ApprovedRevs with SMW queries so that only
approved pages show up in queries?

Something like this:

    {{#ask:
       [[Category:Thing]]
       [[elaborates::Define Structure]]
       <!-- [[is Approved]] or similar? -->
    | default = No Thing here yet!
    | format = ul
    | limit = 10
   }}

--
Mark A. Hershberger
NicheWork LLC

Re: ApprovedRevs and SMW queries

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Mark,

There's no way to query on Approved Revs status from other extensions like
SMW, Cargo or DPL. (Unless you did some sort of monster hack involving the
External Data extension and database access.) However, if you set pages to
be blank if they're not approved, then those blank pages also wouldn't hold
any SMW/etc. data, so they just wouldn't show up in queries. It's a rather
extreme approach, but it may solve your problem.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Approved_Revs#Displaying_unapproved_pages_as_blank

-Yaron

Yaron Koren writes:

> There's no way to query on Approved Revs status from other extensions like
> SMW, Cargo or DPL. (Unless you did some sort of monster hack involving the
> External Data extension and database access.)

What if we stored the approved revision in the page_props using Cindy's
recent patch <https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/263581/>.

Couldn't we create an SMW query that pulled the right version from
there?

Mark.

--
Mark A. Hershberger
NicheWork LLC
717-271-1084

Re: ApprovedRevs and SMW queries

Yaron Koren-2
Hi,

How would that help? Can SMW query the page_props table?

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Mark A. Hershberger <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Yaron Koren writes:
>
> > There's no way to query on Approved Revs status from other extensions
> like
> > SMW, Cargo or DPL. (Unless you did some sort of monster hack involving
> the
> > External Data extension and database access.)
>
> What if we stored the approved revision in the page_props using Cindy's
> recent patch <https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/263581/>.
>
> Couldn't we create an SMW query that pulled the right version from
> there?
>
> Mark.
>
> --
> Mark A. Hershberger
> NicheWork LLC
> 717-271-1084

Re: ApprovedRevs and SMW queries

Mark A. Hershberger-4
It could with, if nothing else, a SMOP. I suppose then it is a matter of convincing the SMW devs that this is something SMW should do.

Or, maybe an extension to SMW to extend the #ask language a little is what is needed.

Mark.

Mark A. Hershberger
NicheWork LLC
717-271-1084

> How would that help? Can SMW query the page_props table?

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Mark A. Hershberger < [hidden email] >
> wrote:

> > Yaron Koren writes:
>

> > > There's no way to query on Approved Revs status from other extensions
> > > like
>
> > > SMW, Cargo or DPL. (Unless you did some sort of monster hack involving
> > > the
>
> > > External Data extension and database access.)
>

> > What if we stored the approved revision in the page_props using Cindy's
>
> > recent patch < https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/263581/ >.
>

> > Couldn't we create an SMW query that pulled the right version from
>
> > there?
>

> > Mark.
>

> > --
>
> > Mark A. Hershberger
>
> > NicheWork LLC
>
> > 717-271-1084

Re: ApprovedRevs and SMW queries

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Mark,

By "SMOP", I guess you mean this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_matter_of_programming

If I can ask: would this querying of Approved Revs data be for users, or
for administrators? If it's for users, and the idea is to only show users
data that has been approved, then maybe you really should consider the
"blank if unapproved" option - it's in use on various wikis.

If it's for administrators, i.e. a "gardening" tool, then maybe Approved
Revs could be more flexible in its interface, i.e. Special:ApprovedRevs.

-Yaron

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Mark A. Hershberger <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It could with, if nothing else, a SMOP.  I suppose then it is a matter of
> convincing the SMW devs that this is something SMW should do.
>
> Or, maybe an extension to SMW to extend the #ask language a little is what
> is needed.
>
> Mark.
>
> Mark A. Hershberger
> NicheWork LLC
> 717-271-1084
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Hi,
>
> How would that help? Can SMW query the page_props table?
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Mark A. Hershberger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> Yaron Koren writes:
>>
>> > There's no way to query on Approved Revs status from other extensions
>> like
>> > SMW, Cargo or DPL. (Unless you did some sort of monster hack involving
>> the
>> > External Data extension and database access.)
>>
>> What if we stored the approved revision in the page_props using Cindy's
>> recent patch <https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/263581/>.
>>
>> Couldn't we create an SMW query that pulled the right version from
>> there?
>>
>> Mark.
>>
>> --
>> Mark A. Hershberger
>> NicheWork LLC
>> 717-271-1084

Re: ApprovedRevs and SMW queries

planetenxin
Hey, this would be an awesome feature. Yaron, I think we have discussed
such a feature request some years ago. At that time, there was no way to
access page_props or something comparable.

Couldn't AR just add annotations holding approval data to a page?

/Alexander

Am 19.07.2016 um 05:02 schrieb Yaron Koren:

> Hi Mark,
>
> By "SMOP", I guess you mean this:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_matter_of_programming
>
> If I can ask: would this querying of Approved Revs data be for users, or
> for administrators? If it's for users, and the idea is to only show users
> data that has been approved, then maybe you really should consider the
> "blank if unapproved" option - it's in use on various wikis.
>
> If it's for administrators, i.e. a "gardening" tool, then maybe Approved
> Revs could be more flexible in its interface, i.e. Special:ApprovedRevs.
>
> -Yaron
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Mark A. Hershberger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> It could with, if nothing else, a SMOP.  I suppose then it is a matter of
>> convincing the SMW devs that this is something SMW should do.
>>
>> Or, maybe an extension to SMW to extend the #ask language a little is what
>> is needed.
>>
>> Mark.
>>
>> Mark A. Hershberger
>> NicheWork LLC
>> 717-271-1084
>>

>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> How would that help? Can SMW query the page_props table?
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Mark A. Hershberger <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> like
>>> the
>>>
>>> What if we stored the approved revision in the page_props using Cindy's
>>> recent patch <https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/263581/>.
>>>
>>> Couldn't we create an SMW query that pulled the right version from
>>> there?
>>>
>>> Mark.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mark A. Hershberger
>>> NicheWork LLC
>>> 717-271-1084
>>>

>> --
>> WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: ApprovedRevs and SMW queries

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Alexander,

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 2:49 AM, planetenxin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey, this would be an awesome feature. Yaron, I think we have discussed
> such a feature request some years ago. At that time, there was no way to
> access page_props or something comparable.

I don't know what you mean here - what has changed between then and now?

> Couldn't AR just add annotations holding approval data to a page?

Do you mean SMW tags? It's probably doable, using "special properties". I
have the same question I had for Mark, though: why? What are the use cases
for querying approval data?

-Yaron

Re: ApprovedRevs and SMW queries

planetenxin
Approval data as filter criteria e.g. for DrillDown or Filtered Format:
"show me only the Business Processes (a category in the wiki) that are
approved"

> Do you mean SMW tags? It's probably doable, using "special properties".
> I have the same question I had for Mark, though: why? What are the use
> cases for querying approval data?
>
> -Yaron

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: ApprovedRevs and SMW queries

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Alexander,

I understand *how* this data could be used, but this doesn't really get to
the *why* - who are the users that would care about which pages have an
approved revision and which don't? Obviously no one wants to see bad data -
but if there were truly bad data, presumably it would quickly get
reverted/deleted. Conversely, if the lack of an approval means that the
page can't be trusted, maybe it's worth using the "blank if unapproved"
option, as I mentioned before.

-Yaron

Yaron Koren writes:

> By "SMOP", I guess you mean this:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_matter_of_programming

Right.  And everything that entails.  I admit my ignorance of what is
involved.

> If I can ask: would this querying of Approved Revs data be for users, or
> for administrators? If it's for users, and the idea is to only show users
> data that has been approved, then maybe you really should consider the
> "blank if unapproved" option - it's in use on various wikis.

Ok, I tested this and initially it looked like it would work for my
client.

However there seem to be bugs in the interaction between SMW and AR's
blanked pages.

I have a query that, properly, doesn't show un-approved page with
matching criteria, but if I toggle the approval status of the page it
may, or may not, show up from them on.

That, and my client didn't like the idea of pages being blank across the
board until approved.

I think the goal here is to have a third state besides "unapproved and
invisible" and "approved and visible".  That would be "unapproved and
visible".

That allows the wiki nature to be exploited -- you get faster iteration
of information -- but it also gives you a more formal review process for
those cases where caution is more important than speed.

> If it's for administrators, i.e. a "gardening" tool, then maybe Approved
> Revs could be more flexible in its interface, i.e. Special:ApprovedRevs.

I'm all for that! :)

Mark.

--
Mark A. Hershberger
NicheWork LLC
717-271-1084

Re: ApprovedRevs and SMW queries

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Mark,

> I think the goal here is to have a third state besides "unapproved and
> invisible" and "approved and visible".  That would be "unapproved and
> visible".

Do you mean, you want three states, i.e. unapproved pages are blank but
only some of the time? Or do you just want AR's default behavior? I'm
getting increasingly confused here. :)

> That allows the wiki nature to be exploited -- you get faster iteration
> of information -- but it also gives you a more formal review process for
> those cases where caution is more important than speed.
>
> > If it's for administrators, i.e. a "gardening" tool, then maybe Approved
> > Revs could be more flexible in its interface, i.e. Special:ApprovedRevs.
>
> I'm all for that! :)

So is the answer to my original question that this would be intended for
use by admins, as opposed to regular users?

-Yaron

Yaron Koren writes:

>> I think the goal here is to have a third state besides "unapproved and
>> invisible" and "approved and visible".  That would be "unapproved and
>> visible".

> Do you mean, you want three states, i.e. unapproved pages are blank but
> only some of the time? Or do you just want AR's default behavior? I'm
> getting increasingly confused here. :)

I want approval status recorded and available for SMW (or DPL) to
query.  This would let people leave

    $egApprovedRevsBlankIfUnapproved = false;

but still allow them to construct queries that take the approved
revision into account.

If the approved revision were stored in the page_props table, it could
be used by extensions that don't know anything about SMW.

> So is the answer to my original question that this would be intended for
> use by admins, as opposed to regular users?

It would be usable by people who want to create wiki pages with queries
that use the approved revision instead of the latest revision.

So, not quite the "regular user" since most of those people are going to
be readers.

But it wouldn't need to be anyone with any special privileges, either.

Mark.

--
Mark A. Hershberger
NicheWork LLC
717-271-1084

Re: ApprovedRevs and SMW queries

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Mark,

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Mark A. Hershberger <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Yaron Koren writes:
>
> >> I think the goal here is to have a third state besides "unapproved and
> >> invisible" and "approved and visible".  That would be "unapproved and
> >> visible".
>
> > Do you mean, you want three states, i.e. unapproved pages are blank but
> > only some of the time? Or do you just want AR's default behavior? I'm
> > getting increasingly confused here. :)
>
> I want approval status recorded and available for SMW (or DPL) to
> query.  This would let people leave
>
>     $egApprovedRevsBlankIfUnapproved = false;
>
> but still allow them to construct queries that take the approved
> revision into account.
>
> If the approved revision were stored in the page_props table, it could
> be used by extensions that don't know anything about SMW.

Extensions can already make use of Approved Revs data - they just need to
query the approved_revs DB table, which is not really different from
querying page_props.

> > So is the answer to my original question that this would be intended for
> > use by admins, as opposed to regular users?
>
> It would be usable by people who want to create wiki pages with queries
> that use the approved revision instead of the latest revision.

This seems to be a different issue: not querying AR data, but rather
getting the right non-AR data back in queries. Thankfully, this already
happens: when using SMW/Cargo/DPL, if you query a page that has an approved
revision, it's that revision's data that will show up in the query results,
not the latest revision's (if the two are different).

Yaron Koren writes:

> Extensions can already make use of Approved Revs data - they just need to
> query the approved_revs DB table, which is not really different from
> querying page_props.

Good point.  But that is available only at the PHP level.  I'm talking
about making available to parser functions or Lua, or...

>> It would be usable by people who want to create wiki pages with queries
>> that use the approved revision instead of the latest revision.
>>
> This seems to be a different issue: not querying AR data, but rather
> getting the right non-AR data back in queries. Thankfully, this already
> happens: when using SMW/Cargo/DPL, if you query a page that has an approved
> revision, it's that revision's data that will show up in the query results,
> not the latest revision's (if the two are different).

My client has helpfully supplied the following use case to show what
they want.

    * We want to retain the open community collaboration/ participation
      in the Wiki, to encourage anyone to share knowledge within the
      Wiki – thus, all “unapproved” pages should be visible, since the
      default state of a new page is “unapproved”.  Why hide knowledge
      sharing that is a work in progress?  The Wiki is just like a
      traditional Wiki ecosystem for knowledge sharing.

    * However, we are also mastering a library of “approved process
      assets” within the Wiki by using the ApprovedRevs capability to
      add some configuration control to process assets.  We are also
      using SMW categories and relationships to mine potential process
      assets to help minimize hard-coded links on pages.  A process
      governance board administers the process asset library, approving
      changes and introduction of new knowledge into the process
      library.  The Semantic queries, however, are like a giant net,
      gleaning new content from the wiki to associate with the approved
      process assets.  Under current rules, unapproved, unvetted content
      would automatically appear in the context of the process library
      if the author used the right category and semantic relationship to
      define their article.

    * Instead, we’d rather the unvetted content would NOT be captured by
      the Semantic queries and not appear within the context of the
      approved process assets, until the process control board has a
      chance to vet new articles and set them to an approved state.
      We’d like to run a separate report to show potential process
      assets that have been created, and then determine whether to
      approve or change a potential new process asset.

    Actually, this last one also begs the following: We’d like to use a
    form to run a query to “review articles from Category X with
    relationships Y since the last board review on this date.”  Using
    the current Semantic query, how do we filter on a date since an
    article was created?  The Semantic query only allows filtering on
    categories and relationships, and does not appear to have a means to
    query on meta-data like “Created On”, “Created By”, “Modified On”
    etc – all meta-data stored within the database, but not on the page.
    DPL allows me to search the meta-data, and SMW does not.  I would
    like to merge the DPL meta-data search capabilities with SMW search
    for an even more powerful SMW search capability.

Thanks, Yaron, for your replies so far.

Mark.

--
Mark A. Hershberger
NicheWork LLC
717-271-1084

Re: ApprovedRevs and SMW queries

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Mark,

I don't think there any parser functions that can make arbitrary queries on
page_props... you might be right, though, with the Lua one; I don't know
either way.

Your client is quite a wordsmith. :) If I can paraphrase, I think what
they're saying is, "we want unapproved content to be viewable, but not
queriable". I don't know if I'm convinced by the idea that viewing should
be open but querying should be closed, but it's a valid opinion.

Perhaps there should just be a "No data stored if unapproved" option,
similar to the "Blank if unapproved" option? Would that solve your problem?

As to your last question - are you aware of SMW's "special properties",
like "Creation date"?

https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Special_properties

Cargo has equivalent fields, by the way.

-Yaron

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Mark A. Hershberger <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>       assets that have been created, and then determine whether to
>       approve or change a potential new process asset.
>
>     Actually, this last one also begs the following: We’d like to use a
>     form to run a query to “review articles from Category X with
>     relationships Y since the last board review on this date.”  Using
>     the current Semantic query, how do we filter on a date since an
>     article was created?  The Semantic query only allows filtering on
>     categories and relationships, and does not appear to have a means to
>     query on meta-data like “Created On”, “Created By”, “Modified On”
>     etc – all meta-data stored within the database, but not on the page.
>     DPL allows me to search the meta-data, and SMW does not.  I would
>     like to merge the DPL meta-data search capabilities with SMW search
>     for an even more powerful SMW search capability.

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hey,

For an extension to alter which revision SMW stores data off, SMW would
need to

* Allow extensions to specify which revision SMW should parse (needed when
doing a rebuild of the data for instance)
* Allow extensions to specify when SMW should parse a revision (at least
they should be able to add new cases, such as when which revision is
approved gets changed. Ideally it would also allow removing parse on
modification of a page if this modification should have no effect on what
is stored.)

I figure you can already do the later in some way by poking SMW somehow.
Creating a nicer API for that, if needed, and allowing for the revision
specification, both seem like things that are quite "light" tasks on the
SMW side and not all that hard to implement. That might be incorrect
though. It's easy to forget things that can complicate matters :)

If you do just these things, it'd be up to the extension to SMW (or
SMW-aware extension) to determine when to use which revision. So there
would be no extension to the ask query syntax, which presumably is more
involved.

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw | https://entropywins.wtf | https://keybase.io/jeroendedauw
Software craftsmanship advocate | Developer at Wikimedia Germany

On 18 July 2016 at 19:14, Mark A. Hershberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a way to integrate ApprovedRevs with SMW queries so that only
> approved pages show up in queries?
>
> Something like this:
>
>     {{#ask:
>        [[Category:Thing]]
>        [[elaborates::Define Structure]]
>        <!-- [[is Approved]] or similar? -->
>     | default = No Thing here yet!
>     | format = ul
>     | limit = 10
>    }}
>

> --
> Mark A. Hershberger
> NicheWork LLC
> 717-271-1084

> What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and
> traffic
> patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and protocols
> are
> planning
> reports.http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev

Re: ApprovedRevs and SMW queries

Yaron Koren-2
Hi,

I think there's a misunderstanding, maybe caused by all the disjointed
discussions, but: Approved Revs already sets which revision gets its SMW
data stored - it's always the approved revision whose data is stored. I
don't remember if this also works with the SMW rebuild data script, but I
think so - there's a lot of use of parsing hooks and so forth to handle all
of the possibilities.

-Yaron

Yaron Koren writes:

> Approved Revs already sets which revision gets its SMW data stored -
> it's always the approved revision whose data is stored.

I'm pretty sure I've found a situation where this isn't the case.  As
you said, there are lots of hooks involved...

I'll try to file a bug soon.

--
Mark A. Hershberger
NicheWork LLC