April Fool - how to prepare for the onslaught

April Fool - how to prepare for the onslaught

MacGyverMagic/Mgm
Based on my experience in previous years, I have no doubt April 1 will bring
out a lot of pranksters.
We had a lot of mess before. Are there any preparations to keep things under
control this year?
If not, we should organize something ASAP.

Mgm

Re: April Fool - how to prepare for the onslaught

Stan Shebs-2
MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:
> Based on my experience in previous years, I have no doubt April 1 will bring
> out a lot of pranksters.
> We had a lot of mess before. Are there any preparations to keep things under
> control this year?
> If not, we should organize something ASAP.

You could get a two-fer by announcing that WP is now "completed" and
that therefore no further editing is necessary, then protect (or
semi-protect?) all pages for the 48 hours necessary to catch all timezones.

:-)

Stan

Re: April Fool - how to prepare for the onslaught

Philip Sandifer-2

On Mar 19, 2007, at 5:33 PM, MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:

> Based on my experience in previous years, I have no doubt April 1
> will bring
> out a lot of pranksters.
> We had a lot of mess before. Are there any preparations to keep
> things under
> control this year?
> If not, we should organize something ASAP.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to get a page where recent
changes to the encyclopedia can be looked at together so that we can
see what's going on. Secondarily, the ability to make targetted lists
of pages that we can watch and see when get changed would be useful.

Once we have those, all we need is some admins who can look at a
calendar and who are sensibly mirthful - that is, unwilling to accept
crap in the articlespace, and tolerant of amusing hijinks in the
project namespace.

-Phil

Re: April Fool - how to prepare for the onslaught

James Farrar
On 19/03/07, Stan Shebs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:
> > Based on my experience in previous years, I have no doubt April 1 will bring
> > out a lot of pranksters.
> > We had a lot of mess before. Are there any preparations to keep things under
> > control this year?
> > If not, we should organize something ASAP.
> >
> You could get a two-fer by announcing that WP is now "completed" and
> that therefore no further editing is necessary, then protect (or
> semi-protect?) all pages for the 48 hours necessary to catch all timezones.
>
> :-)

I like it :)

Re: April Fool - how to prepare for the onslaught

George William Herbert
On 3/19/07, James Farrar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19/03/07, Stan Shebs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:
> > > Based on my experience in previous years, I have no doubt April 1 will bring
> > > out a lot of pranksters.
> > > We had a lot of mess before. Are there any preparations to keep things under
> > > control this year?
> > > If not, we should organize something ASAP.
> > >
> > You could get a two-fer by announcing that WP is now "completed" and
> > that therefore no further editing is necessary, then protect (or
> > semi-protect?) all pages for the 48 hours necessary to catch all timezones.
> >
> > :-)
>
> I like it :)

Or just revert the database back 48 hrs after the fun's all run its course...

"What April 1?  There was no April 1 this year, we skipped straight to
the Second..."

--
-george william herbert

Re: April Fool - how to prepare for the onslaught

Ron Ritzman
On 3/19/07, Stan Shebs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You could get a two-fer by announcing that WP is now "completed" and
> that therefore no further editing is necessary, then protect (or
> semi-protect?) all pages for the 48 hours necessary to catch all timezones.

Hell, let's just http redirect the whole site to uncyclopedia

Re: April Fool - how to prepare for the onslaught

Steve Bennett-8
On 3/20/07, Stan Shebs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You could get a two-fer by announcing that WP is now "completed" and
> that therefore no further editing is necessary, then protect (or
> semi-protect?) all pages for the 48 hours necessary to catch all timezones.

Why miss out on this golden opportunity to make thousands of people
realise that anyone can edit Wikipedia?

Steve

On 3/19/07, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why miss out on this golden opportunity to make thousands of people
> realise that anyone can edit Wikipedia?

"user:Anyone" doesn't seem to exist. Here's someone's golden opportunity.

Re: April Fool - how to prepare for the onslaught

Philippe Beaudette
It's not available for creation... but not sure if it exists or is just not available to be created.

Philippe

On 3/20/07, Philippe Beaudette <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's not available for creation... but not sure if it exists or is just not available to be created.

Yeah I couldn't work out a way of distinguishing between a
non-existent user, and a user who has never done anything.

Steve

Re: April Fool - how to prepare for the onslaught

geni
On 3/20/07, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yeah I couldn't work out a way of distinguishing between a
> non-existent user, and a user who has never done anything.
>
> Steve

Like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log&user=Anybody

--
geni

On 3/19/07, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log&user=Anybody

Wikipedia, the encyclopedia that anybody can edit but anybody never has.

Re: April Fool - how to prepare for the onslaught

Jeremy Cushman-2
> > Yeah I couldn't work out a way of distinguishing between a
> > non-existent user, and a user who has never done anything.
> >
> > Steve
>
> Like this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log&user=Anybody
>
> --
> geni

Actually, that won't do anything because if the account was created from
another account it won't show up in the new account log for that user.
You need to go to their user page.  If there's a "User contributions" link
the user exists, otherwise the user does not.
--Mets501

Re: April Fool - how to prepare for the onslaught

Stephen Bain
On 3/20/07, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah I couldn't work out a way of distinguishing between a
> non-existent user, and a user who has never done anything.

The only definitive method for determining whether an account exists
is [[Special:Listusers]].

--
Stephen Bain

On 3/20/07, Mets501 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually, that won't do anything because if the account was created from
> another account it won't show up in the new account log for that user.

Created from another account? What do you mean?

Steve

Re: April Fool - how to prepare for the onslaught

Erik Moeller-4
On 3/19/07, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Based on my experience in previous years, I have no doubt April 1 will bring
> out a lot of pranksters.
> We had a lot of mess before. Are there any preparations to keep things under
> control this year?
> If not, we should organize something ASAP.

Just make April 1 of every year Spring Cleanup day and be done with it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Naconkantari/cleanup

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic

Re: April Fool - how to prepare for the onslaught

Andrew Gray
On 20/03/07, Mets501 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log&user=Anybody
>
> Actually, that won't do anything because if the account was created from
> another account it won't show up in the new account log for that user.

I don't know what "created from another account" means, but no log
entry is very simple - created before late 2005, when the log was put
in place.

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: April Fool - how to prepare for the onslaught

Angela-5
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log&user=Anybody
> Actually, that won't do anything because if the account was created from
> another account it won't show up in the new account log for that user.

That also won't work for accounts made before the user creation log
was invented. The way to tell is to look at their contributions list.

If the user page link is red or blue, they exist. It if it gray, they do not.

Compare these two:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Anybodyx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Anybody

Angela

On 3/20/07, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If the user page link is red or blue, they exist. It if it gray, they do not.
>
> Compare these two:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Anybodyx
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Anybody

Woot, the authoritative answer.

Out of curiosity, if it's possible to show a grey link, you'd think it
would be possible to show something more explicit like "There is no
user with this name."..

Steve

Re: April Fool - how to prepare for the onslaught

Earle Martin
On 20/03/07, Ron Ritzman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wikipedia, the encyclopedia that anybody can edit but anybody never has.

The encyclopedia that Anybody can edit, but Nobody never has. (How's
that for grammar?)

--
Earle Martin
            http://downlode.org/