ArbCom results... :-)

Jimmy Wales
To Tranche Gamma:
Flcelloguy
Kirill Lokshin
Paul August
UninvitedCompany
Jpgordon

To Tranche Beta
FloNight (Mindspillage's seat, from which she recently retired)
Binguyen (Filiocht's seat, as he is on indefinite leave)

----

Both Mindspillage and Filiocht are eligible to (re)-claim what would
then be expansion seat in Tranche Beta at anytime of their choosing
until 2008-12-31, when their original seats would have expired.

Re: ArbCom results... :-)

Jordan Turner
Correction: Blnguyen

Jimmy Wales wrote:

> To Tranche Gamma:
> Flcelloguy
> Kirill Lokshin
> Paul August
> UninvitedCompany
> Jpgordon
>
> To Tranche Beta
> FloNight (Mindspillage's seat, from which she recently retired)
> Binguyen (Filiocht's seat, as he is on indefinite leave)
>
> ----
>
> Both Mindspillage and Filiocht are eligible to (re)-claim what would
> then be expansion seat in Tranche Beta at anytime of their choosing
> until 2008-12-31, when their original seats would have expired.

Re: ArbCom results... :-)

NSLE (Wikipedia)
Congrats all!

On 26/12/06, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To Tranche Gamma:
> Flcelloguy
> Kirill Lokshin
> Paul August
> UninvitedCompany
> Jpgordon
>
> To Tranche Beta
> FloNight (Mindspillage's seat, from which she recently retired)
> Binguyen (Filiocht's seat, as he is on indefinite leave)
>
> ----
>
> Both Mindspillage and Filiocht are eligible to (re)-claim what would
> then be expansion seat in Tranche Beta at anytime of their choosing
> until 2008-12-31, when their original seats would have expired.

Re: ArbCom results... :-)

Kat Walsh
On 12/25/06, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To Tranche Gamma:
> Flcelloguy
> Kirill Lokshin
> Paul August
> UninvitedCompany
> Jpgordon
>
> To Tranche Beta
> FloNight (Mindspillage's seat, from which she recently retired)
> Binguyen (Filiocht's seat, as he is on indefinite leave)

My congratulations and my sympathies to all of the new arbitrators!

-Kat

--
Wikimedia needs you: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising
* *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *

Re: ArbCom results... :-)

XaosFluX
I for one welcome our new NPOV overlords!

xaosflux
> FloNight (Mindspillage's seat, from which she recently retired)
> Binguyen (Filiocht's seat, as he is on indefinite leave)
>
> ----
>
> Both Mindspillage and Filiocht are eligible to (re)-claim what would
> then be expansion seat in Tranche Beta at anytime of their choosing
> until 2008-12-31, when their original seats would have expired.

Re: ArbCom results... :-)

Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia)
Congratulations to all the new arbitrators ... you were all excellent
candidates and rightly earned overwhelming community support. Please
don't let the high number of cases currently in the evidence phase
ready for you to work with scare you too badly before you even begin.

There will need to be a discussion about how to handle cases that are
pending as of the time the new arbs take office.

"Newyorkbrad"

On 12/25/06, xaosflux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I for one welcome our new NPOV overlords!
>
> xaosflux

Matthew Brown-5
On 12/25/06, Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There will need to be a discussion about how to handle cases that are
> pending as of the time the new arbs take office.

I would imagine we'll handle it like last time: where arbitrators no
longer in office have voted on a case, they count as extra arbitrators
for those cases only, and majority is adjusted appropriately.

New arbitrators will be counted as recused for all currently open
cases unless they declare themselves un-recused for an individual
case; this saves them from having to read up on all open cases
immediately.

-Matt

Re: ArbCom results... :-)

Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia)
On 12/26/06, Matthew Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/25/06, Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > There will need to be a discussion about how to handle cases that are
> > pending as of the time the new arbs take office.
>
> I would imagine we'll handle it like last time: where arbitrators no
> longer in office have voted on a case, they count as extra arbitrators
> for those cases only, and majority is adjusted appropriately.
>
> New arbitrators will be counted as recused for all currently open
> cases unless they declare themselves un-recused for an individual
> case; this saves them from having to read up on all open cases
> immediately.
>
> -Matt

That makes total sense, of course, and it would probably be contrary to the
Wiki-way to formalize things any more than that, especially if it worked out
okay last year.  On the other hand, it appears that there will be at least
ten cases in the evidence stage but not yet being voted on as of January
1st.  I am concerned there will be an awful lot of "is this case ready to
close, who's voting in this case, should we wait for more votes?" type of
issues with so many new members and so many new cases.  On top of that, with
Fred Bauder having indicated that he plans to cut back on his writing and
Dmcdevit less active for the next couple of weeks per his userpage, it looks
like in at least some of the new cases the new members may have to get
involved in doing the initial analysis and drafting.  It's entirely up to
the (new and old) arbitrators and probably is already being discussed on the
ArbCom mailing list, but a slightly more pro-active approach to planning now
how all these cases are going to get written and decided might pay dividends
in the form of hitting the ground running for the new year and avoiding
having a backlog pile up.  Just some thoughts for what they are worth.

Again, congratulations to all the new arbitrators.

"Newyorkbrad"

Re: ArbCom results... :-)

James Forrester-5
Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia) wrote:

> On 12/26/06, Matthew Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 12/25/06, Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > There will need to be a discussion about how to handle cases that
> > > are pending as of the time the new arbs take office.
> >
> > I would imagine we'll handle it like last time: where arbitrators no
> > longer in office have voted on a case, they count as extra arbitrators
> > for those cases only, and majority is adjusted appropriately.
> >
> > New arbitrators will be counted as recused for all currently open
> > cases unless they declare themselves un-recused for an individual
> > case; this saves them from having to read up on all open cases
> > immediately.
>
> That makes total sense, of course, and it would probably be contrary
> to the Wiki-way to formalize things any more than that, especially if
> it worked out okay last year.

Not just last year; this is as we decided to do it even when we had our
very first non-bootstrap addition, when Mark and James (Raul654 and
Jwrosenzweig) joined in July '04.

> On the other hand, it appears that there will be at least ten cases in
> the evidence stage but not yet being voted on as of January 1st.  I am
> concerned there will be an awful lot of "is this case ready to close,
> who's voting in this case, should we wait for more votes?" type of
> issues with so many new members and so many new cases.

Well, don't worry about that; it used to be my job to nag people about
such things, and having written much of our operating procedures I'm as
ever happy enough to state things definitively if any clarification is
needed. It's rarely that much of a problem, though - the Clerks are
absolutely marvellous (I remember when I did pretty much all the work
they've now taken off our hands, only less well, less quickly, and much
less happily :-)).

> On top of that, with Fred Bauder having indicated that he plans to cut
> back on his writing and Dmcdevit less active for the next couple of
> weeks per his userpage, it looks like in at least some of the new cases
> the new members may have to get involved in doing the initial analysis
> and drafting.

Well, being thrown in at the deep end is good for 'em. ;-)

Seriously, I share your concerns about potential issues with workload
being too much, though I hope (perhaps in vain) that the community will
take a more pro-active approach themselves as to management of such
situations so as to obviate the need for the Committee; that /was/
sort-of the idea, after all. Maybe this year I will be pleasantly surprised.

> It's entirely up to the (new and old) arbitrators and probably is
> already being discussed on the ArbCom mailing list,

Yes, and yes. :-)

> but a slightly more pro-active approach to planning now how all these
> cases are going to get written and decided might pay dividends in the
> form of hitting the ground running for the new year and avoiding
> having a backlog pile up.

Well, I personally have grave concerns at the concept of spreading the
ground too thinly, and parcelling out cases a priori. I'm a strong
believer in our current system (which is not much of a surprise, given
how and by whom its form was shaped :-)), where Arbitrators are moved to
write a case up, rather than handed it and told to get on with the case.
This is why we don't sit en banc (and won't, until I'm/we're convinced
that the benefits outweigh the disbenefits).

Yours sincerely,
--
James D. Forrester
Wikimedia : [[W:en:User:Jdforrester|James F.]]

Re: ArbCom results... :-)

David Gerard-2
[with cc: directly to AC list]

On 26/12/06, James D. Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Seriously, I share your concerns about potential issues with workload
> being too much,

The most important thing is to avoid burnout. The typical pattern is
1-3 months' enthusiasm then a tapering-off.

Suggestion: set aside X hours a week for AC duties. Do those hours,
but don't run too far *over* them either.

>though I hope (perhaps in vain) that the community will
> take a more pro-active approach themselves as to management of such
> situations so as to obviate the need for the Committee; that /was/
> sort-of the idea, after all. Maybe this year I will be pleasantly surprised.

It's getting there. A lot of the cases of editors who are (how to put
this nicely) *obviously grossly incompatible* with Wikipedia now get
blocked by community approbation - that is, no-one would want to
unblock this person. Which, if you think about it, is actually a far
stronger mark of disapproval than an ArbCom ban.

- d.

Re: ArbCom results... :-)

James Forrester-5
James D. Forrester wrote:

> Well, I personally have grave concerns at the concept of spreading the
> ground too thinly, and parcelling out cases a priori. I'm a strong
> believer in our current system (which is not much of a surprise, given
> how and by whom its form was shaped :-)), where Arbitrators are moved to
> write a case up, rather than handed it and told to get on with the case.
> This is why we don't sit en banc (and won't, until I'm/we're convinced
> that the benefits outweigh the disbenefits).

For those playing especial, close attention, yes, I missed the word
"not" from there - that is, this should have read "we don't *not* sit en
banc".

Thank you, Brad, for showing me that at least one person reads my boring
prose. :-)

Yours sincerely,
--
James D. Forrester
Wikimedia : [[W:en:User:Jdforrester|James F.]]
E-Mail    : [hidden email]
IM (MSN)  : [hidden email]

Re: ArbCom results... :-)

Michael Snow
James D. Forrester wrote:

>James D. Forrester wrote:
>

>>Well, I personally have grave concerns at the concept of spreading the
>>ground too thinly, and parcelling out cases a priori. I'm a strong
>>believer in our current system (which is not much of a surprise, given
>>how and by whom its form was shaped :-)), where Arbitrators are moved to
>>write a case up, rather than handed it and told to get on with the case.
>>This is why we don't sit en banc (and won't, until I'm/we're convinced
>>that the benefits outweigh the disbenefits).
>>

>For those playing especial, close attention, yes, I missed the word
>"not" from there - that is, this should have read "we don't *not* sit en
>banc".

Oh, I just figured that maybe "en banc" meant something different in the
British system. Why that might have been the case I'm not sure, but
since the term is actually French, who knows. (Yes, the law is equal
parts medieval French and Latin.)

Meanwhile, my best wishes to the Arbitration Committee. To the newly
chosen especially, but also to the already sitting, who hopefully will
absorb some renewed vigor from their colleagues. Be thankful that a
knowledge of English is generally sufficient, and try not to lapse to
much into Wiki-ish like IAR, CSD, and the like.

--Michael Snow

Re: ArbCom results... :-)

David Gerard-2
On 26/12/06, Michael Snow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Meanwhile, my best wishes to the Arbitration Committee. To the newly
> chosen especially, but also to the already sitting, who hopefully will
> absorb some renewed vigor from their colleagues. Be thankful that a
> knowledge of English is generally sufficient, and try not to lapse to
> much into Wiki-ish like IAR, CSD, and the like.

Note that the term "industrial quantities of fatally corrosive
blithering stupid" is a technical jargon term on arbcom-l.

;-p

- d.

Re: ArbCom results... :-)

George William Herbert

> On 26/12/06, Michael Snow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Meanwhile, my best wishes to the Arbitration Committee. To the newly
> > chosen especially, but also to the already sitting, who hopefully will
> > absorb some renewed vigor from their colleagues. Be thankful that a
> > knowledge of English is generally sufficient, and try not to lapse to
> > much into Wiki-ish like IAR, CSD, and the like.
>

> Note that the term "industrial quantities of fatally corrosive
> blithering stupid" is a technical jargon term on arbcom-l.
>
> ;-p

Is it jargon?  It's really only jargon if it's not clear to outsiders what
it means, just from looking at it...

Congratulations and condolences to the new Arbcom members.

--
-george william herbert

Re: ArbCom results... :-)

Charles Matthews
"Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia)" wrote

> On the other hand, it appears that there will be at least
> ten cases in the evidence stage but not yet being voted on as of January
> 1st.  I am concerned there will be an awful lot of "is this case ready to
> close, who's voting in this case, should we wait for more votes?" type of
> issues with so many new members and so many new cases.

The transition period will be marked by newcomers trying to find their way around, and probably the bringing of many fresh cases that people have held back. In practical terms this mainly means plenty to vote on. Let the clerks worry about the closures.

Charles