ArchCom Minutes, News, and Outlook

Daniel Kinzler-2
Hi all!

Here are the minutes from this week's ArchCom meeting. You can also find the
minutes at <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_committee/2017-03-15>.

See also the ArchCom status page at
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_committee/Status> and the RFC board
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mediawiki-rfcs/>.

Here are the minutes, for your convenience:

Notable activity:

* "Disabling LocalisationUpdate on WMF wikis" is being worked on; After some
discussion, it looks like it’ll be rewritten rather than removed.
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T158360>
* CURL to become an optional dependency of MediaWiki, managed by composer
* Template styling RFC has reached agreement.
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T155813>
* Thumbnail API RFC has seen no activity last week.
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T66214>
* Brion is working with Jaime on a tool to check for DB schema inconsistencies
between server.

Public meeting on Mobile Frontend Requirements:

* Overview:
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jlBl_qAIrGPF7zqOmK77Db8y4InO1j3qX1qqipzJNmc/edit>
* Outcome: Collected feedback, will reiterate. Log:
<https://tools.wmflabs.org/meetbot/wikimedia-office/2017/wikimedia-office.2017-03-15-21.10.html>

Using hangout was an experiment to see whether this is feasible and useful. We
do not currently plan to make Hangout the default meeting mode. Observations:

* We failed to get the youtube stream to work.
* We did not come close to the 25 person limit for hangout.
* Using IRC for logging is useful. Relaying questions and notes between IRC and
Hangout works, but takes effort.
* Please give feedback about using Hangout for this kind of meeting!

No public meeting planned for next week (March 22)

--
Daniel Kinzler
Principal Platform Engineer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

--
Daniel Kinzler
Principal Platform Engineer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Re: ArchCom Minutes, News, and Outlook

Adam Baso
My feedback on the meeting format, I realize there has been a fair amount
written on the other thread, so sorry if duplicating.

The face to face interaction itself felt relatively effective. If the
streaming and recording works, those recordings are a nice way for people
to get the high bandwidth discussions quickly. Free machine transcription
is available to the video owner for search engine findability, even if the
transcription is sometimes comical (paid $200-$400 USD is an option, but I
don't see the point of that, given notes...and the machine transcription
will keep getting better) plus slow-or-fast playback is an option for
people to go through it later.

But I get the notion of catching the backscroll if one has other
obligations for part of the meeting and having the luxury to research
things in the midst of the meeting (even if on the video call! although I
think people should focus on the meeting if possible), as well as having
the freedom to disengage if not a member of the committee.

Although Google Docs is functionally nice and copy-paste to VE is helpful,
I would suggest doing the text based interaction and notes at the same time
in Etherpad. This is a close equivalent to IRC, allows text based
interaction, and is easily migrated to the wiki later. This offers most of
the benefits you get with IRC (minus mentions :( and the serendipity of
people stumbling onto the channel).

I think as far as using video every time: I wonder if a heuristic of video
+ Etherpad by default, but use of IRC instead of video if the person/rep
whose idea is being vetted prefers it that way might work.

-Adam

P.S. On the CREDIT showcase, we're planning going forward to copy over
notes from Etherpad, which is where we expect most conversation to occur
during the showcase plus for people who continue to engage, for a brief
period after the meeting winds down. The similarity of what I propose here
with CREDIT is not a total coincidence.

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 8:53 AM Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]>
wrote:

Hi all!

Here are the minutes from this week's ArchCom meeting. You can also find the
minutes at <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_committee/2017-03-15
>.

See also the ArchCom status page at
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_committee/Status> and the RFC
board
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mediawiki-rfcs/>.

Here are the minutes, for your convenience:

Notable activity:

* "Disabling LocalisationUpdate on WMF wikis" is being worked on; After some
discussion, it looks like it’ll be rewritten rather than removed.
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T158360>
* CURL to become an optional dependency of MediaWiki, managed by composer
* Template styling RFC has reached agreement.
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T155813>
* Thumbnail API RFC has seen no activity last week.
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T66214>
* Brion is working with Jaime on a tool to check for DB schema
inconsistencies
between server.

Public meeting on Mobile Frontend Requirements:

* Overview:
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jlBl_qAIrGPF7zqOmK77Db8y4InO1j3qX1q
qipzJNmc/edit>
* Outcome: Collected feedback, will reiterate. Log:
<https://tools.wmflabs.org/meetbot/wikimedia-office/2017/
wikimedia-office.2017-03-15-21.10.html>

Using hangout was an experiment to see whether this is feasible and useful.
We
do not currently plan to make Hangout the default meeting mode.
Observations:

* We failed to get the youtube stream to work.
* We did not come close to the 25 person limit for hangout.
* Using IRC for logging is useful. Relaying questions and notes between IRC
and
Hangout works, but takes effort.
* Please give feedback about using Hangout for this kind of meeting!

No public meeting planned for next week (March 22)

--
Daniel Kinzler
Principal Platform Engineer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

--
Daniel Kinzler
Principal Platform Engineer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Re: ArchCom Minutes, News, and Outlook

Risker
A minor suggestion from someone who is just a reader here - It would be
helpful if the same thread title is not used every week. In particular,
adding a date of the meeting will aid in searchability.

Thanks,

Risker/Anne

On 17 March 2017 at 09:52, Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Here are the minutes from this week's ArchCom meeting. You can also find
> the
> minutes at <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_committee/
> 2017-03-15>.
>
> See also the ArchCom status page at
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_committee/Status> and the
> RFC board
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mediawiki-rfcs/>.
>
> Here are the minutes, for your convenience:
>

> Notable activity:
>
> * "Disabling LocalisationUpdate on WMF wikis" is being worked on; After
> some
> discussion, it looks like it’ll be rewritten rather than removed.
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T158360>
> * CURL to become an optional dependency of MediaWiki, managed by composer
> * Template styling RFC has reached agreement.
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T155813>
> * Thumbnail API RFC has seen no activity last week.
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T66214>
> * Brion is working with Jaime on a tool to check for DB schema
> inconsistencies
> between server.
>
> Public meeting on Mobile Frontend Requirements:
>
> * Overview:
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jlBl_qAIrGPF7zqOmK77Db8y4InO1j3qX1q
> qipzJNmc/edit>
> * Outcome: Collected feedback, will reiterate. Log:
> <https://tools.wmflabs.org/meetbot/wikimedia-office/2017/
> wikimedia-office.2017-03-15-21.10.html>
>
> Using hangout was an experiment to see whether this is feasible and
> useful. We
> do not currently plan to make Hangout the default meeting mode.
> Observations:
>
> * We failed to get the youtube stream to work.
> * We did not come close to the 25 person limit for hangout.
> * Using IRC for logging is useful. Relaying questions and notes between
> IRC and
> Hangout works, but takes effort.
> * Please give feedback about using Hangout for this kind of meeting!
>

> No public meeting planned for next week (March 22)
>

> --
> Daniel Kinzler
> Principal Platform Engineer
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland
> Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.
>
> --
> Daniel Kinzler
> Principal Platform Engineer
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland
> Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Re: ArchCom Minutes, News, and Outlook

Daniel Kinzler-2
Ha, lazy me! Thanks for the feedback! I'll do better next time.

Am 18.03.2017 um 00:47 schrieb Risker:

> A minor suggestion from someone who is just a reader here - It would be
> helpful if the same thread title is not used every week. In particular,
> adding a date of the meeting will aid in searchability.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Risker/Anne
>
> On 17 March 2017 at 09:52, Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> Here are the minutes from this week's ArchCom meeting. You can also find
>> the
>> minutes at <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_committee/
>> 2017-03-15>.
>>
>> See also the ArchCom status page at
>> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_committee/Status> and the
>> RFC board
>> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mediawiki-rfcs/>.
>>
>> Here are the minutes, for your convenience:
>>

>> Notable activity:
>>
>> * "Disabling LocalisationUpdate on WMF wikis" is being worked on; After
>> some
>> discussion, it looks like it’ll be rewritten rather than removed.
>> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T158360>
>> * CURL to become an optional dependency of MediaWiki, managed by composer
>> * Template styling RFC has reached agreement.
>> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T155813>
>> * Thumbnail API RFC has seen no activity last week.
>> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T66214>
>> * Brion is working with Jaime on a tool to check for DB schema
>> inconsistencies
>> between server.
>>
>> Public meeting on Mobile Frontend Requirements:
>>
>> * Overview:
>> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jlBl_qAIrGPF7zqOmK77Db8y4InO1j3qX1q
>> qipzJNmc/edit>
>> * Outcome: Collected feedback, will reiterate. Log:
>> <https://tools.wmflabs.org/meetbot/wikimedia-office/2017/
>> wikimedia-office.2017-03-15-21.10.html>
>>
>> Using hangout was an experiment to see whether this is feasible and
>> useful. We
>> do not currently plan to make Hangout the default meeting mode.
>> Observations:
>>
>> * We failed to get the youtube stream to work.
>> * We did not come close to the 25 person limit for hangout.
>> * Using IRC for logging is useful. Relaying questions and notes between
>> IRC and
>> Hangout works, but takes effort.
>> * Please give feedback about using Hangout for this kind of meeting!
>>

>> No public meeting planned for next week (March 22)
>>

>> --
>> Daniel Kinzler
>> Principal Platform Engineer
>>
>> Wikimedia Deutschland
>> Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.
>>
>> --
>> Daniel Kinzler
>> Principal Platform Engineer
>>
>> Wikimedia Deutschland
>> Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Daniel Kinzler
Senior Software Developer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Re: ArchCom Minutes, News, and Outlook

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Why was Google Docs used to keep notes? It seems a stark regression.

Nemo