ArchCom RFC update #4

Gabriel Wicke-3
This week things have been relatively quiet, with many engineers attending
the Jerusalem Hackathon
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Hackathon_2016>. Daniel and
others discussed dependency injection
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T124792> at the hackathon, and a first
patch was merged.

With today's conclusion of the Final Comment Period, Max's proposal to require
mbstring support <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T129435> was officially
accepted, and the corresponding patch was merged.

At next week's IRC meeting, we will explore improving editing support and
performance with balanced and "hygienic" transclusions.

Gabriel

RFC inbox

T54807: Identify and remove legacy preferences from MediaWiki core
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T54807>, T16950: Support global
preferences <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T16950>: These
preference-related RFCs currently don't have a clear owner, and need
product input.

Approved RFCs

T129435 RFC: Drop support for running without mbstring
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T129435> (Max, Gabriel): Most
participants have expressed support. Based on the discussion, the ArchCom
approved the RFC today, and Max's patch
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/267309/> was already merged.
Under discussion

T130567 RFC: Hygienic transclusions for WYSIWYG, incremental parsing &
composition <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T130567>, T114444 DOM scopes
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T114444> and T114445 Balanced templates
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T114445>: (Tim) *Scheduled for IRC
discussion next week.*

T124792 Service Locator for MediaWiki core
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T124792> (Daniel): Discussed at Hackathon
<https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/wmhack2016_DI>, first patch merged
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/264403/>. Implementation under way.

T123753 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T123753> Establish retrospective
reports for Security <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/security/> and
Performance <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/performance/> incidents
(RobLa): Briefly discussed at last week's IRC meeting, some activity on the
task.

T119908 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T119908> RFC: Migrate code
review / management to Phabricator from Gerrit (RobLa): ArchCom is looking
for more detail on CI integration, as well as background on alternatives
considered for code review + CI.

T108655 Standardise on how to access/register JavaScript interfaces
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T108655> (Roan) Minimal version was
approved and is being implemented. Discussion has begun about a second RFC
for more contentious changes.

T39902 RFC: Implement rendering of redlinks (in a post-processor?)
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T39902> (Gabriel): Solutions for
highlighting links to non-existing pages in Parsoid HTML. Main question is
preprocessing vs. separate metadata processed on client. Parsing and
Services teams investigating performance trade-offs.

T130663 RFC: Reference API requirements and options
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T130663> (Timo): Working with Gabriel
and others to better define the scope of the RFC and come up with a solid
proposal. Relates to other on-going product goals and may be delayed on
better clarification on those and gathering of other use cases /
requirements.

T18691 RFC: Section headings should have a clickable anchor
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T18691> (Timo): Working on better
understanding of the problem space and possible solutions. Volker gathered
various considerations and challenges on the RFC’s talk page at
mediawiki.org. Check them out!

No activity in the last two weeks:

T130528 RFC: PSR-6 Cache interface in Mediawiki core
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T130528> (no shepherd)

T122942 RFC: Support language variants in the REST API
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T122942> (Gabriel)

T124504 Transition WikiDev '16 working areas into working groups
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T124504> (RobLa)

T66214 Use content hash based image / thumb URLs & define an official thumb
API <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T66214> (Brion)

T113034 RFC: Overhaul Interwiki map, unify with Sites and WikiMap
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T113034> (Daniel)

T122825 Service ownership and minimum maintenance requirements
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T122825> (Gabriel)

T128351 RFC: Notifications in core
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T128351> (Brion)

T118517 RFC: Use <figure> for media
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T118517> (Brion)

T88596 Improving extension management
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T88596> (Daniel)

T114444 RFC: Introduce notion of DOM scopes in wikitext
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T114444> (Tim)

T120164 RFC: Institute "last call" period for MediaWiki RfCs (WIP)

--
Gabriel Wicke
Principal Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: ArchCom RFC update #4

Daniel Kinzler
Thanks for doing this, Gabriel!

Am 07.04.2016 um 01:38 schrieb Gabriel Wicke:

> [...]
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T124504> (RobLa)
>
> T66214 Use content hash based image / thumb URLs & define an official thumb
> API <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T66214> (Brion)
>
> T113034 RFC: Overhaul Interwiki map, unify with Sites and WikiMap
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T113034> (Daniel)
>
> T122825 Service ownership and minimum maintenance requirements
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T122825> (Gabriel)
>
> T128351 RFC: Notifications in core
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T128351> (Brion)
>
> T118517 RFC: Use <figure> for media
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T118517> (Brion)
>
> T88596 Improving extension management
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T88596> (Daniel)
>
> T114444 RFC: Introduce notion of DOM scopes in wikitext
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T114444> (Tim)
>
> T120164 RFC: Institute "last call" period for MediaWiki RfCs (WIP)

Scott MacLeod
Thanks, too, so much for your clarity re "process," Gabriel,

Scott

On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 2:24 PM, Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > T66214 Use content hash based image / thumb URLs & define an official
> thumb
> > API <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T66214> (Brion)
> >
> > T113034 RFC: Overhaul Interwiki map, unify with Sites and WikiMap
> > <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T113034> (Daniel)
> >
> > T122825 Service ownership and minimum maintenance requirements
> > <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T122825> (Gabriel)
> >
> > T128351 RFC: Notifications in core
> > <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T128351> (Brion)
> >
> > T118517 RFC: Use <figure> for media
> > <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T118517> (Brion)
> >
> > T88596 Improving extension management
> > <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T88596> (Daniel)
> >
> > T114444 RFC: Introduce notion of DOM scopes in wikitext
> > <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T114444> (Tim)
> >
> > T120164 RFC: Institute "last call" period for MediaWiki RfCs (WIP)

- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
- 415 480 4577
- http://scottmacleod.com
- Please donate to tax-exempt 501 (c) (3)
- World University and School
- via PayPal, or credit card, here -
- http://worlduniversityandschool.org
- or send checks to
- PO Box 442, (86 Ridgecrest Road), Canyon, CA 94516
- World University and School - like Wikipedia with best STEM-centric
OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in
California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.