ArchCom RFC update

Gabriel Wicke-3
Hi,

please have a look at this week's summary of new and ongoing RFC
discussions. There are several new RFCs, and some existing ones are moving
close to a decision. No RFCs were decided finally this week.

Because of the parallel Hackathon, no IRC discussion is scheduled for next
week.

Gabriel

New RFCs:

T130663 WIP RFC: Reference API requirements and options
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T130663> (Timo): API access and
component  markup for references; focus on gathering use cases /
requirements.

T122942 RFC: Support language variants in the REST API
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T122942> (Gabriel): Different options
for supporting languange variant selection in the REST API. Needed for
languages like Chinese.

T122825 Service Ownership and Maintenance
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T122825> (Gabriel): Ownership and
minimum maintenance requirements for production services. Strongly driven
by unclear ownership of OCG (PDF renderer).

T39902 RFC: Implement rendering of redlinks (in a post-processor?)
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T39902> (Gabriel): Solutions for
highlighting links to non-existing pages in Parsoid HTML. Main question is
preprocessing vs. separate metadata processed on client.

T130528 RFC: PSR-6 Cache interface in Mediawiki core
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T130528> (No shepherd): Exploring use of
standard PHP cache interface.

Today's IRC session:

T124792 Service Locator for MediaWiki core
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T124792> (Daniel): Introduce a service
locator (aka DI container) to allow code in mediaWiki core to make use of
the Dependency Injection (DI) and Service Locator (SL) patterns.

The discussion showed general support. Several participants expressed a
desire to write more code with it before making a final call. Concrete
suggestions on areas would be welcome. Tentative working group forming,
aiming to discuss at Jerusalem Hackathon.

Under discussion:

T129435 RFC: drop support for running without mbstring
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T129435> (Gabriel): Very focused RFC by
Max. Main question in discussion so far is whether polyfilling is worth it.
Max reaching out to mediawiki-l.

T108655 Standardise on how to access/register JavaScript interfaces
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T108655> (Roan): No update since last
week, I need to split this task but I haven’t had time to yet. Last week’s
update:

Considering to split out contentious part (file-based require, or something
like it; to support embedding libraries), move forward on less
controversial part (basic module-name-based require infrastructure)

T18691 RFC: Section headings should have a clickable anchor
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T18691> (Timo): Under discussion with
Volker and  Frontend Standards Group. Volker and team to collect different
benefits and concerns to determine whether this is generally a desirable
feature. And to explore other conceptually different solutions to the
underlying use case of “sharing a link to a section” (e.g. a better table
of contents, or live address bar).

T124504 Transition WikiDev '16 working areas into working groups
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T124504> (RobLa): No concrete progress;
MZMcBride advocates for organic growth.

T128351 RfC: Notifications in core
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T128351> (Brion): No movement last week.
Needs clarification of interfaces & scope as follow-up from IRC meeting.

T66214 Use content hash based image / thumb URLs & define an official thumb
API <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T66214> (Brion): Clarified
requirements & priorities in last week's IRC discussion. Needs update to
reflect discussion.

T118517 [RFC] Use <figure> for media
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T118517> (Brion): Revisit soon.

T88596 Improving extension management
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T88596> (Daniel): Discussion is picking
up again, patch for review.

T113034 RFC: Overhaul Interwiki map, unify with Sites and WikiMap
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T113034> (Daniel): Has been discussed
before, needs somebody to actually take this on.

T114444 [RFC] Introduce notion of DOM scopes in wikitext
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T114444> (Tim): Active related
discussion and prototyping at Balanced templates
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T114445> and Hygienic transclusions for
WYSIWYG, incremental parsing & composition: Options and trade-offs
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T130567>.

Re: ArchCom RFC update

Scott MacLeod
Thanks for this helpful overview, Gabriel!

Scott

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Gabriel Wicke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> requirements & priorities in last week's IRC discussion. Needs update to
> reflect discussion.
>
> T118517 [RFC] Use <figure> for media
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T118517> (Brion): Revisit soon.
>
> T88596 Improving extension management
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T88596> (Daniel): Discussion is picking
> up again, patch for review.
>
> T113034 RFC: Overhaul Interwiki map, unify with Sites and WikiMap
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T113034> (Daniel): Has been discussed
> before, needs somebody to actually take this on.
>
> T114444 [RFC] Introduce notion of DOM scopes in wikitext
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T114444> (Tim): Active related
> discussion and prototyping at Balanced templates
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T114445> and Hygienic transclusions for
> WYSIWYG, incremental parsing & composition: Options and trade-offs

- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
- 415 480 4577
- http://scottmacleod.com
- Please donate to tax-exempt 501 (c) (3)
- World University and School
- via PayPal, or credit card, here -
- http://worlduniversityandschool.org
- or send checks to
- PO Box 442, (86 Ridgecrest Road), Canyon, CA 94516
- World University and School - like Wikipedia with best STEM-centric
OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in
California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.