ArchCom adopts Charter, becomes TechCom

Daniel Kinzler-2
Hello All!

Victoria an I would like to share some good news:

After we have been talking about it for years, and vetting the draft for months,
it's finally done: the Architecture Committee has adopted a proper charter
defining its purpose, operation, and authority.

You can find the charter here:
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Committee/Charter>

The charter among other things defines from where the committee draws its
authority over technical development at the WMF: the committee acts as an
extension of the CTO. This gives us a clear role in the foundation's decision
making processes.

The charter also clarifies the scope of TechCom: it is to act as an authority on
technical decisions regarding any official software that serves Wikimedia users.
The committee should be involved in matters regarding such software that are
strategic, cross-cutting, or hard to undo.

The committee has also given itself a new name, to better fit the scope as
defined in the charter: we are now the Wikimedia Technical Committee (TechCom).

Daniel Kinzler
TechCom Chair

Re: ArchCom adopts Charter, becomes TechCom

Toby Negrin
Congratulations Daniel and Victoria and everyone from the Community and
Foundation who participated in this process. It's a big step forward for
building software together.

-Toby

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 6:19 AM, Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]