Arriving in DC on 4th July; also paging DC birders

Arriving in DC on 4th July; also paging DC birders

Andy Mabbett-2
Hi,

I asked this on the wiki, but got no response; so I'm hoping someone
here can advise me.

I'll be arriving in DC early, to be a tourist for a few days, and my
plane lands at 6pm local time on 4th July. As it's a holiday, what
sort of service will be running, to get me to Hostelling
International?

Also, I'm a birder, and would like to see my first US birds during
those pre-Wikimania days Are there any local Wikimedians who are also
birders (or who know any), and who could spare an hour or two to
accompany me to a suitable open space, and help me out with basic ID?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Arriving in DC on 4th July; also paging DC birders

Jose Rodriguez

[Wikimania-l] Arriving in DC on 4th July; also paging DC birders

Metro trains and all buses should be running as Fourth of July celebrations will attract thousands to the city.    See Metro website:http://www.wmata.com/index.cfm  Of course there are always taxis and shuttle buses.  See airport transportation.  If you walk out of the National/Reagan airport, btw, you may be able to catch the fireworks, as one of the viewing areas is next to the airport.  Was just there yesterday and preparations are being made for the large crowds.

Re: Arriving in DC on 4th July; also paging DC birders

Andy Mabbett-2
Thanks; I'm flying onto Dulles.

On 29 June 2012 18:25, Jose Rodriguez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Metro trains and all buses should be running as Fourth of July celebrations will attract thousands to the city.    See Metro website:http://www.wmata.com/index.cfm  Of course there are always taxis and shuttle buses.  See airport transportation.  If you walk out of the National/Reagan airport, btw, you may be able to catch the fireworks, as one of the viewing areas is next to the airport.  Was just there yesterday and preperations are being made for the large crowds.
>
> Hi,
>
> I asked this on the wiki, but got no response; so I'm hoping someone here can advise me.
>
> I'll be arriving in DC early, to be a tourist for a few days, and my plane lands at 6pm local time on 4th July. As it's a holiday, what sort of service will be running, to get me to Hostelling International?
>

> Also, I'm a birder, and would like to see my first US birds during those pre-Wikimania days Are there any local Wikimedians who are also birders (or who know any), and who could spare an hour or two to accompany me to a suitable open space, and help me out with basic ID?
>

> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Arriving in DC on 4th July; also paging DC birders

James Hare
All the public transportation services will still be running,
including the Circulator. Stick around by the National Mall for a few
extra hours, though, and you'll get to see the fireworks!

James

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Andy Mabbett
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I asked this on the wiki, but got no response; so I'm hoping someone
> here can advise me.
>
> I'll be arriving in DC early, to be a tourist for a few days, and my
> plane lands at 6pm local time on 4th July. As it's a holiday, what
> sort of service will be running, to get me to Hostelling
> International?
>

> Also, I'm a birder, and would like to see my first US birds during
> those pre-Wikimania days Are there any local Wikimedians who are also
> birders (or who know any), and who could spare an hour or two to
> accompany me to a suitable open space, and help me out with basic ID?
>

> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Arriving in DC on 4th July; also paging DC birders

Andy Mabbett-2
Thank you. I'll have been travelling for over 18 hour when I arrive,
but I'll try! Is there a timetable for the festivities?

On 29 June 2012 20:51, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All the public transportation services will still be running,
> including the Circulator. Stick around by the National Mall for a few
> extra hours, though, and you'll get to see the fireworks!
>
> James
>
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Andy Mabbett
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I asked this on the wiki, but got no response; so I'm hoping someone
>> here can advise me.
>>
>> I'll be arriving in DC early, to be a tourist for a few days, and my
>> plane lands at 6pm local time on 4th July. As it's a holiday, what
>> sort of service will be running, to get me to Hostelling
>> International?
>>

>> Also, I'm a birder, and would like to see my first US birds during
>> those pre-Wikimania days Are there any local Wikimedians who are also
>> birders (or who know any), and who could spare an hour or two to
>> accompany me to a suitable open space, and help me out with basic ID?
>>

>> --
>> Andy Mabbett
>> @pigsonthewing
>> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Arriving in DC on 4th July; also paging DC birders

Nicholas Michael Bashour
If you're flying into Dulles, I suggest one of the following methods for connecting onto the Washington, DC, metro system:

Washington Flyer, Website: www.washfly.com/coach.html
Where to Catch: Tickets for the Washington Flyer Coach are available for purchase inside of Washington Dulles Airport on the"Arrivals" Upper Level at Door #4. The coach boards directly outside of Door #4 at the curb of the airport drive.
Connects to: West Falls Church Metro Station (Orange line)

METRO Express Bus #5A (Dulles Airport Express): http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/view.cfm?line=49
Where to Catch: The Route 5A Metrobus boards on the "Arrivals" lower level roadway outside of baggage claim. Passengers should follow the signs to "Metro Route 5A". The actual bus stop is at location "2E" of the ground transportation curb.
Connects To: Rosslyn Metro Station (Orange & Blue lines) and L'Efant Plaza Metro Station (Orange, Blue, Green, Yellow lines)

Metro map: http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm?

Sincerely,

Nicholas Michael Bashour
President
Wikimedia District of Columbia
Washington, DC, USA

2012/6/29 Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
Thanks; I'm flying onto Dulles.

On 29 June 2012 18:25, Jose Rodriguez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Metro trains and all buses should be running as Fourth of July celebrations will attract thousands to the city.    See Metro website:http://www.wmata.com/index.cfm  Of course there are always taxis and shuttle buses.  See airport transportation.  If you walk out of the National/Reagan airport, btw, you may be able to catch the fireworks, as one of the viewing areas is next to the airport.  Was just there yesterday and preperations are being made for the large crowds.
>
> Hi,
>
> I asked this on the wiki, but got no response; so I'm hoping someone here can advise me.
>
> I'll be arriving in DC early, to be a tourist for a few days, and my plane lands at 6pm local time on 4th July. As it's a holiday, what sort of service will be running, to get me to Hostelling International?
>

> Also, I'm a birder, and would like to see my first US birds during those pre-Wikimania days Are there any local Wikimedians who are also birders (or who know any), and who could spare an hour or two to accompany me to a suitable open space, and help me out with basic ID?
>

> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Arriving in DC on 4th July; also paging DC birders

Richard Symonds-3
I believe that, traditionally, it all starts when someone called Paul sees the British coming:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ikO6LMxF4

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

On 29 June 2012 21:43, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you. I'll have been travelling for over 18 hour when I arrive,
but I'll try! Is there a timetable for the festivities?

On 29 June 2012 20:51, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:
> All the public transportation services will still be running,
> including the Circulator. Stick around by the National Mall for a few
> extra hours, though, and you'll get to see the fireworks!
>
> James
>
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Andy Mabbett
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I asked this on the wiki, but got no response; so I'm hoping someone
>> here can advise me.
>>
>> I'll be arriving in DC early, to be a tourist for a few days, and my
>> plane lands at 6pm local time on 4th July. As it's a holiday, what
>> sort of service will be running, to get me to Hostelling
>> International?
>>

>> Also, I'm a birder, and would like to see my first US birds during
>> those pre-Wikimania days Are there any local Wikimedians who are also
>> birders (or who know any), and who could spare an hour or two to
>> accompany me to a suitable open space, and help me out with basic ID?
>>

>> --
>> Andy Mabbett
>> @pigsonthewing
>> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Arriving in DC on 4th July; also paging DC birders

Andy Mabbett-2
I'm only going to collect all the back-tax on tea.

On 29 June 2012 22:49, Richard Symonds <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe that, traditionally, it all starts when someone called Paul sees
> the British coming:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ikO6LMxF4
>
> Richard Symonds
> Wikimedia UK
> 0207 065 0992
> Disclaimer viewable
> at http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia:Email_disclaimer
> Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk
>

> On 29 June 2012 21:43, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you. I'll have been travelling for over 18 hour when I arrive,
>> but I'll try! Is there a timetable for the festivities?
>>
>> On 29 June 2012 20:51, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > All the public transportation services will still be running,
>> > including the Circulator. Stick around by the National Mall for a few
>> > extra hours, though, and you'll get to see the fireworks!
>> >
>> > James

>> --
>> Andy Mabbett
>> @pigsonthewing
>> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Arriving in DC on 4th July; also paging DC birders

Andrew Lih-2
It will be kind of nuts (in a good way).

Things are running, but there is usually a massive picnic/celebration in downtown DC to view the concert and fireworks (8-10pm). Right afterwards a gigantic parade of folks taking the Metro (subway) and other transport to get out of the city. Best if you can get to your destination before the exodus, and if you have time, go down and enjoy the free activities.

See:

-Andrew

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I asked this on the wiki, but got no response; so I'm hoping someone
here can advise me.

I'll be arriving in DC early, to be a tourist for a few days, and my
plane lands at 6pm local time on 4th July. As it's a holiday, what
sort of service will be running, to get me to Hostelling
International?

Also, I'm a birder, and would like to see my first US birds during
those pre-Wikimania days Are there any local Wikimedians who are also
birders (or who know any), and who could spare an hour or two to
accompany me to a suitable open space, and help me out with basic ID?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

-Andrew Lih
Associate professor of journalism
USC Annenberg School of Communication and Journalism
Email: [hidden email]
WEB: http://www.andrewlih.com
BOOK: The Wikipedia Revolution: http:/www.wikipediarevolution.com
PROJECT: WikiFactcheck: http://wikifactcheck.org/wiki

Re: Arriving in DC on 4th July; also paging DC birders

Andrew Lih-2
That about.com link I gave has a rough overview of the timetable.

And just for giggles, DC hit 104, which is 40 Celsius. Dress light!

Washington, D.C. shatters all-time June record high, sizzles to 104

-Andrew

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 4:43 AM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you. I'll have been travelling for over 18 hour when I arrive,
but I'll try! Is there a timetable for the festivities?

On 29 June 2012 20:51, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:
> All the public transportation services will still be running,
> including the Circulator. Stick around by the National Mall for a few
> extra hours, though, and you'll get to see the fireworks!
>
> James
>
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Andy Mabbett
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I asked this on the wiki, but got no response; so I'm hoping someone
>> here can advise me.
>>
>> I'll be arriving in DC early, to be a tourist for a few days, and my
>> plane lands at 6pm local time on 4th July. As it's a holiday, what
>> sort of service will be running, to get me to Hostelling
>> International?
>>

>> Also, I'm a birder, and would like to see my first US birds during
>> those pre-Wikimania days Are there any local Wikimedians who are also
>> birders (or who know any), and who could spare an hour or two to
>> accompany me to a suitable open space, and help me out with basic ID?
>>

>> --
>> Andy Mabbett
>> @pigsonthewing
>> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

-Andrew Lih
Associate professor of journalism
USC Annenberg School of Communication and Journalism
Email: [hidden email]
WEB: http://www.andrewlih.com
BOOK: The Wikipedia Revolution: http:/www.wikipediarevolution.com
PROJECT: WikiFactcheck: http://wikifactcheck.org/wiki

Re: Arriving in DC on 4th July; also paging DC birders

Thomas Goldammer-2
I found that the Flyer Bus costs 10 dollars per ride (which is an
extortion!) and it brings you just to a suburb from where it costs
even more to get to DC by metro. What does the 5A bus cost from the
airport to L'Enfant Plaza?

Th.

2012/6/29 Nicholas Michael Bashour <[hidden email]>:

> If you're flying into Dulles, I suggest one of the following methods for
> connecting onto the Washington, DC, metro system:
>
> Washington Flyer, Website: www.washfly.com/coach.html
> Where to Catch: Tickets for the Washington Flyer Coach are available for
> purchase inside of Washington Dulles Airport on the"Arrivals" Upper Level at
> Door #4. The coach boards directly outside of Door #4 at the curb of the
> airport drive.
> Connects to: West Falls Church Metro Station (Orange line)
>
> METRO Express Bus #5A (Dulles Airport Express):
> http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/view.cfm?line=49
> Where to Catch: The Route 5A Metrobus boards on the "Arrivals" lower level
> roadway outside of baggage claim. Passengers should follow the signs to
> "Metro Route 5A". The actual bus stop is at location "2E" of the ground
> transportation curb.
> Connects To: Rosslyn Metro Station (Orange & Blue lines) and L'Efant Plaza
> Metro Station (Orange, Blue, Green, Yellow lines)
>
> Metro map: http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Nicholas Michael Bashour
> President
> Wikimedia District of Columbia
> Washington, DC, USA
>

> 2012/6/29 Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Thanks; I'm flying onto Dulles.
>>
>> On 29 June 2012 18:25, Jose Rodriguez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Metro trains and all buses should be running as Fourth of July
>> > celebrations will attract thousands to the city.    See Metro
>> > website:http://www.wmata.com/index.cfm  Of course there are always taxis and
>> > shuttle buses.  See airport transportation.  If you walk out of the
>> > National/Reagan airport, btw, you may be able to catch the fireworks, as one
>> > of the viewing areas is next to the airport.  Was just there yesterday and
>> > preperations are being made for the large crowds.
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I asked this on the wiki, but got no response; so I'm hoping someone
>> > here can advise me.
>> >
>> > I'll be arriving in DC early, to be a tourist for a few days, and my
>> > plane lands at 6pm local time on 4th July. As it's a holiday, what sort of
>> > service will be running, to get me to Hostelling International?
>> >

>> > Also, I'm a birder, and would like to see my first US birds during those
>> > pre-Wikimania days Are there any local Wikimedians who are also birders (or
>> > who know any), and who could spare an hour or two to accompany me to a
>> > suitable open space, and help me out with basic ID?
>> >

>> > --
>> > Andy Mabbett
>> > @pigsonthewing
>> > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

>> --
>> Andy Mabbett
>> @pigsonthewing
>> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Arriving in DC on 4th July; also paging DC birders

Nicholas Michael Bashour
The 5A bus costs $6.

Sincerely,
Nicholas Michael Bashour

Sent from my iPhone

Am 29.06.2012 um 21:02 schrieb Thomas Goldammer <[hidden email]>:

> I found that the Flyer Bus costs 10 dollars per ride (which is an
> extortion!) and it brings you just to a suburb from where it costs
> even more to get to DC by metro. What does the 5A bus cost from the
> airport to L'Enfant Plaza?
>
> Th.
>
> 2012/6/29 Nicholas Michael Bashour <[hidden email]>:
>> If you're flying into Dulles, I suggest one of the following methods for
>> connecting onto the Washington, DC, metro system:
>>
>> Washington Flyer, Website: www.washfly.com/coach.html
>> Where to Catch: Tickets for the Washington Flyer Coach are available for
>> purchase inside of Washington Dulles Airport on the"Arrivals" Upper Level at
>> Door #4. The coach boards directly outside of Door #4 at the curb of the
>> airport drive.
>> Connects to: West Falls Church Metro Station (Orange line)
>>
>> METRO Express Bus #5A (Dulles Airport Express):
>> http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/view.cfm?line=49
>> Where to Catch: The Route 5A Metrobus boards on the "Arrivals" lower level
>> roadway outside of baggage claim. Passengers should follow the signs to
>> "Metro Route 5A". The actual bus stop is at location "2E" of the ground
>> transportation curb.
>> Connects To: Rosslyn Metro Station (Orange & Blue lines) and L'Efant Plaza
>> Metro Station (Orange, Blue, Green, Yellow lines)
>>
>> Metro map: http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Nicholas Michael Bashour
>> President
>> Wikimedia District of Columbia
>> Washington, DC, USA
>>

>> 2012/6/29 Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> Thanks; I'm flying onto Dulles.

>>> --
>>> Andy Mabbett
>>> @pigsonthewing
>>> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Arriving in DC on 4th July; also paging DC birders

Thomas Goldammer-2
Cool, thanks! That'll be my choice then. :)

Th.