Article IDs on Wikinews

Frankie Roberto

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes.

On Wikinews, we've started to talk about whether there could be any way
to expose unique identifiers for news articles, rather than having to
rely on page names. (See:
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Water_cooler/technical#URLs_using_IDs_rather_than_titles)

This is important because:

a) Without a unique identifier, it's impossible to tell when an article
has moved. This is a particular problem for the RSS feed - without a
unique ID, articles that get moved appear twice (or more).

b) It should be possible to have two articles with the same headline.

As I see it, there are two possible solutions. The first would be to
just address a) by exposing an ID in the RSS feeds (in the <guid>
sub-element of item), without altering the URLs.

The second way would be to alter the URLs so that they're at
en.wikinews.org/wiki/8986456, allowing more than one article to have the
same title.

I realise that both solutions would probably require a major re-working
of the underlying MediaWiki architecture.

Is there any chance that such a change could ever be implemented? Or are
there any other workarounds to the problem?

Cheers,

Frankie Roberto

Re: Article IDs on Wikinews

Rob Church
Pages do have a unique identifier. It's just not shown; when MediaWiki
looks at titles, it splits it into a namespace number and title text,
then (internally) can turn that into a page identifier.

I'm not sure how this information helps, however. Unique identifiers
still "change" when the page is moved (because a new page record is
created). However, I suppose it's a bit of background information on
how it's done right now.

Rob Church