Article in Newsweek

brian.mcneil-2
http://www.newsweek.com/id/71360/page/1

More meat than the NYT piece, and spoke to Lessig about the work to get a
better license that doesn't involve including the entire GFDL.

Brian McNeil

Re: Article in Newsweek

geni
On 20/11/2007, Brian McNeil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.newsweek.com/id/71360/page/1
>

> More meat than the NYT piece, and spoke to Lessig about the work to get a
> better license that doesn't involve including the entire GFDL.

Mr Lessig is not however the person you need. RMS would appear to be
the current problem.

--
geni

Re: Article in Newsweek

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
It is nice to see everyone agree that RMS is the problem in getting more and
better open content collaboration going.
Thanks,
    GerardM

On Nov 20, 2007 1:44 PM, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20/11/2007, Brian McNeil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > http://www.newsweek.com/id/71360/page/1
> >

> > More meat than the NYT piece, and spoke to Lessig about the work to get
> > better license that doesn't involve including the entire GFDL.
>
> Mr Lessig is not however the person you need. RMS would appear to be
> the current problem.
>

> --
> geni

Re: Article in Newsweek

brian.mcneil-2
The GPL and GFDL licenses have their roots in a time when the Internet was
not so widely available. Many of the early uses of these licenses would be
in packages you'd get passed to you on a floppy disk.

I don't disagree with the idea that if you copy GFDL content into a book you
put the license in an appendix. I'd actually argue that under the same
circumstances with CC-BY-??? You should, not must, but should, at the very
least include the summarised text of the license and an easily readable web
page URL (i.e. not tiny print) that you can type in to get the full license
text. [This is in the sense/context that RFC documents use "should".]

I think wiki demonstrates that you need to have ideals and noble goals but
temper them with a more practical approach to the real world. RMS is a
little too idealistic for my tastes, but that doesn't mean you should
dismiss the point he is making.

Brian McNeil

It is nice to see everyone agree that RMS is the problem in getting more and
better open content collaboration going.
Thanks,
    GerardM

On Nov 20, 2007 1:44 PM, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20/11/2007, Brian McNeil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > http://www.newsweek.com/id/71360/page/1
> >

> > More meat than the NYT piece, and spoke to Lessig about the work to get
> > better license that doesn't involve including the entire GFDL.
>
> Mr Lessig is not however the person you need. RMS would appear to be
> the current problem.
>

> --
> geni

Re: Article in Newsweek

geni
On 20/11/2007, Brian McNeil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think wiki demonstrates that you need to have ideals and noble goals but
> temper them with a more practical approach to the real world. RMS is a
> little too idealistic for my tastes, but that doesn't mean you should
> dismiss the point he is making.

Idealism is at this point less than a problem than inaction. We were
still running mediawiki 1.8 alpha (we are now at 1.12alpha) back when
the last comment of the GSFDL by the FSF appeared.

--
geni

Re: Article in Newsweek

Nikola Smolenski
GerardM wrote:
> It is nice to see everyone agree that RMS is the problem in getting more and
> better open content collaboration going.

Well, he would probably disagree...

Re: Article in Newsweek

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I would love him to prove us wrong :)
Thanks,
    GerardM

On Nov 20, 2007 4:33 PM, Nikola Smolenski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> GerardM wrote:
> > It is nice to see everyone agree that RMS is the problem in getting more
> and
> > better open content collaboration going.
>
> Well, he would probably disagree...

Re: Article in Newsweek

Casey Brown-3
\o/

They provide a screenshot of a page with a fundraising banner on it!
Advertising for our fundraiser. :-)

On Nov 20, 2007 3:52 AM, Brian McNeil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.newsweek.com/id/71360/page/1
>

> More meat than the NYT piece, and spoke to Lessig about the work to get a
> better license that doesn't involve including the entire GFDL.
>

> Brian McNeil

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Article in Newsweek

Jimmy Wales
GerardM wrote:
> Hoi,
> It is nice to see everyone agree that RMS is the problem in getting more and
> better open content collaboration going.

I do not agree, and I think it unwise for people who have not been in
direct personal contact with the negotiation process to make rash
assumptions about where "the problem" is.

--Jimbo

Re: Article in Newsweek

George William Herbert
On Nov 21, 2007 12:23 PM, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:

> GerardM wrote:
> > Hoi,
> > It is nice to see everyone agree that RMS is the problem in getting more
> and
> > better open content collaboration going.
>
> I do not agree, and I think it unwise for people who have not been in
> direct personal contact with the negotiation process to make rash
> assumptions about where "the problem" is.
>
> --Jimbo

I suspect GerardM probably hadn't clued in yet that there were update and
unification talks in progress.  It hasn't been loudly talked about until
today...

--
-george william herbert

Re: Article in Newsweek

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I do not have ignorance as an excuse. I found it hilarious that in the
the current problem". Having said this, the GFDL for all its good points,
was never intended for a project like Wikipedia or Wiktionary. I am
convinced that both the EFF and RMS will acknowledge this. It is likely for
this reason discussions are going on that will hopefully remedy some if not
most of the existing issues.
Thanks,
     GerardM