Assistance needed

Felix Nartey
Hi all,

Sorry if this is not the right forum to ask this, but I wish to seek assistance on my thoughts below and i will be very grateful if i am directed to the right forum if this is not. Just to create certain on this matter before i proceed to uploading contents.

I have quite a number of pictures about the history of my country (Ghana) which were taken over 50 years ago. Now i am looking forward to uploading these contents but have encountered the following obstacles:
1. The real copyright holder of some of the pictures is dead and i have been thinking of how to go about this. How do we upload such content on who do we say is the copyrightholder, because once i upload contents of someone else i must prove the release of copyright by the owner and under which license the owner wants it shared.

2.The real copyright holder is very old and ill and not even in the country. We have spoken to a close contact who has confirmed use but we are still working on a Skype chat or hangout to discuss the release of rights with the hope that the recorded video chat could be a source of proof.

Kindly advice what to do.

Best regards,
--

Felix Nartey | DSE CAL Bank Ltd. | Co-manager GBG TEMA | Community Manager WMGHAbout me | +233 242 844987 Check out!!

Re: Assistance needed

Tuszynski, Jaroslaw W.-2

Hi it looks like Ghana protects copyrights for 70 years after the death of the author (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Copyright_rules_by_territory#Ghana) . So you will need to get the permission to publish pictures from the copyright holders. Please read https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:OTRS in case you did not yet and when you arrange to get the permission make sure it covers things shown in the example text. The copyright holder is either the original photographer or his/her heirs (usually children and family) once the photographer is dead. I have never heard of “recorded video chat as a source of proof” of permission, but it is probably OK. Usually it is done by an email from the copyright holder or a scan of typed and signed permission.

Hope this helps and please do not give up easily as we do need more photographs from unusual times and places.

Jarek

(User:Jarekt)

Re: Assistance needed

Felix Nartey
Ok great, so getting a release letter explicitly stating the release of rights and the license under which to be shared by their heirs is fine.

However in the second instance i don't think that will work since the copyright holder is still alive. He suggested the video chat will be best for him and i want to be sure that will be totally accepted.