Attracting new talent to our projects

Jon Robson-2
Recently on https://developer.mozilla.org/ I noticed an easter egg
when you pop open the JavaScript console.

<snip>
"Interested in having a direct impact on hundreds of millions of users? Join
Mozilla, and become part of a global community that’s helping to build a
brighter future for the Web."
<snip>

I'm curious how successful this is but I wonder if we did the same
whether we might see some new contributors popping up?

Why don't we have a similar message linking to our mailing list /
phabricator instance / mediawiki.org homepage?

Thoughts?

Re: Attracting new talent to our projects

Gabriel Wicke-3
Perhaps some fun HTTP headers
<http://royal.pingdom.com/2012/08/15/fun-and-unusual-http-response-headers/>
?

Gabriel

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Jon Robson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Recently on https://developer.mozilla.org/ I noticed an easter egg
> when you pop open the JavaScript console.
>
> <snip>
> "Interested in having a direct impact on hundreds of millions of users?
> Join
> Mozilla, and become part of a global community that’s helping to build a
> brighter future for the Web."
> <snip>
>
> I'm curious how successful this is but I wonder if we did the same
> whether we might see some new contributors popping up?
>
> Why don't we have a similar message linking to our mailing list /
> phabricator instance / mediawiki.org homepage?
>
> Thoughts?

Re: Attracting new talent to our projects

Jeremy Baron
On Dec 31, 2014 7:22 PM, "Gabriel Wicke" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps some fun HTTP headers
> <
http://royal.pingdom.com/2012/08/15/fun-and-unusual-http-response-headers/>

See also https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T70982

-Jeremy

Re: Attracting new talent to our projects

Eran Rosenthal
Just to mention (Yuvi Panda idea):
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/wikitech/348122

On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 2:25 AM, Jeremy Baron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Dec 31, 2014 7:22 PM, "Gabriel Wicke" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Perhaps some fun HTTP headers
> > <
> http://royal.pingdom.com/2012/08/15/fun-and-unusual-http-response-headers/
> >

> See also https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T70982
>
> -Jeremy

Re: Attracting new talent to our projects

Andre Klapper-2
On Thu, 2015-01-01 at 07:18 +0200, Eran Rosenthal wrote:
> Just to mention (Yuvi Panda idea):
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/wikitech/348122

Looking at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki we link to
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developer_hub and
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_contribute .
The latter seems to come close to that, though more static?

andre
--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Attracting new talent to our projects

MZMcBride-2
Jon Robson wrote:

>Recently on https://developer.mozilla.org/ I noticed an easter egg
>when you pop open the JavaScript console.
>
><snip>
>"Interested in having a direct impact on hundreds of millions of users?
>Join Mozilla, and become part of a global community that’s helping to
>build a brighter future for the Web."
><snip>
>
>I'm curious how successful this is but I wonder if we did the same
>whether we might see some new contributors popping up?

Vaguely related: <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T22281> ("MediaWiki
needs more easter eggs").

>Why don't we have a similar message linking to our mailing list /
>phabricator instance / mediawiki.org homepage?

We have a "Developers" link at the bottom of MediaWiki-generated pages
(index.php?title=) that points to
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/How_to_contribute>.

There's also talk of building a dev.wikimedia.org (cf.
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T67074>), though I'm still not sold on
the virtue of creating yet another portal for developers and other
tech-minded people. Additional discussion is here:
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Dev.wikimedia.org>.

>Thoughts?

Adding easter eggs sounds like a fairly strange recruitment tactic, but I
don't see any harm in trying it out and seeing what happens. It's not
totally clear to me what problem we're trying to solve here (if any). It's
also not completely clear to me whether you want to recruit for the
Wikimedia Foundation specifically or for the Wikimedia movement. Depending
on the specifics, certain solutions might be more or less appropriate.

MZMcBride

Re: Attracting new talent to our projects

Jon Robson
I was thinking more for the movement and specifically curious if this has
ever been attempted in the past. If it hasn't it seems like something we
should try.
On 3 Jan 2015 20:30, "MZMcBride" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jon Robson wrote:
> >Recently on https://developer.mozilla.org/ I noticed an easter egg
> >when you pop open the JavaScript console.
> >
> ><snip>
> >"Interested in having a direct impact on hundreds of millions of users?
> >Join Mozilla, and become part of a global community that’s helping to
> >build a brighter future for the Web."
> ><snip>
> >
> >I'm curious how successful this is but I wonder if we did the same
> >whether we might see some new contributors popping up?
>
> Vaguely related: <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T22281> ("MediaWiki
> needs more easter eggs").
>
> >Why don't we have a similar message linking to our mailing list /
> >phabricator instance / mediawiki.org homepage?
>
> We have a "Developers" link at the bottom of MediaWiki-generated pages
> (index.php?title=) that points to
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/How_to_contribute>.
>
> There's also talk of building a dev.wikimedia.org (cf.
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T67074>), though I'm still not sold on
> the virtue of creating yet another portal for developers and other
> tech-minded people. Additional discussion is here:
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Dev.wikimedia.org>.
>
> >Thoughts?
>
> Adding easter eggs sounds like a fairly strange recruitment tactic, but I
> don't see any harm in trying it out and seeing what happens. It's not
> totally clear to me what problem we're trying to solve here (if any). It's
> also not completely clear to me whether you want to recruit for the
> Wikimedia Foundation specifically or for the Wikimedia movement. Depending
> on the specifics, certain solutions might be more or less appropriate.
>
> MZMcBride

Re: Attracting new talent to our projects

Nikolas Everett
On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 11:30 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jon Robson wrote:
> >Thoughts?
>
> Adding easter eggs sounds like a fairly strange recruitment tactic, but I
> don't see any harm in trying it out and seeing what happens. It's not
> totally clear to me what problem we're trying to solve here (if any). It's
> also not completely clear to me whether you want to recruit for the
> Wikimedia Foundation specifically or for the Wikimedia movement. Depending
> on the specifics, certain solutions might be more or less appropriate.

I think the best thing for recruiting for MediaWiki (the open source
project) is the extraction portion of the Librarization
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Library_infrastructure_for_MediaWiki>
project.  Breaking MediaWiki into parts will get it used in more places and
the more people that rely on it the more people will contribute to it.
Making reusable PHP libraries as opposed to services is doubly good at
getting contributions because the people that will be integrating with them
will also be PHP developers so they'll be reasonably quickly able to
contribute.

My expertise doesn't really extend beyond the open source project so I
won't guess at ways to recruit for the movement or the foundation.

Nik

Re: Attracting new talent to our projects

Jon Robson
I think in my spare time I'll write a patch to test easter eggs in the
console out in the mobile world and see if we get any bites (bites
being phabricator patches/new users on bug reports etc). Will report
back any findings.

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 7:55 AM, Nikolas Everett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 11:30 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Jon Robson wrote:
>> >Thoughts?
>>
>> Adding easter eggs sounds like a fairly strange recruitment tactic, but I
>> don't see any harm in trying it out and seeing what happens. It's not
>> totally clear to me what problem we're trying to solve here (if any). It's
>> also not completely clear to me whether you want to recruit for the
>> Wikimedia Foundation specifically or for the Wikimedia movement. Depending
>> on the specifics, certain solutions might be more or less appropriate.
>

> I think the best thing for recruiting for MediaWiki (the open source
> project) is the extraction portion of the Librarization
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Library_infrastructure_for_MediaWiki>
> project.  Breaking MediaWiki into parts will get it used in more places and
> the more people that rely on it the more people will contribute to it.
> Making reusable PHP libraries as opposed to services is doubly good at
> getting contributions because the people that will be integrating with them
> will also be PHP developers so they'll be reasonably quickly able to
> contribute.
>
> My expertise doesn't really extend beyond the open source project so I
> won't guess at ways to recruit for the movement or the foundation.
>
> Nik

Jon Robson
* http://jonrobson.me.uk
* https://www.facebook.com/jonrobson
* @rakugojon

Re: Attracting new talent to our projects

Jon Robson
(and this is my current thinking for an experiment in mobile -
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T85815 - feel free to move
conversation over there if this interests you)