Autonomous Article Creation via Form?

lbillett
We've a need to create/update pages automatically on different frequencies. Mulling through 'Category:Page creation extensions' it occurred to me that almost all of what I need to do can be accomplished with Semantic Forms. Page naming conventions and default content can all be defined there. An #autoedit link reduces the required user activity to a single click. Problem is some of our templates take minutes to populate (fetching lots of external data).

Is there a tidy way I can *click* an autoedit button (or collection of buttons) via cronjob or something? I'm pretty proficient wiki-side, but weak when it comes to scripting.

On further reading... looks like the sfautoedit API does this? I'll muddle with it. Not sure how to handle the credentials/authentication piece (no anonymous edits in our wiki). We routinely update properties like this, but have never modified/created actual articles. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful. Thanks!

Re: Autonomous Article Creation via Form?

Yaron Koren-2
Hi,

I would recommend starting with an existing script, i.e. "bot", and
modifying it to use "sfautoedit". This page has a list of them in many
languages:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Creating_a_bot#Programming_languages_and_libraries

Alternatively, you could use the Data Transfer extension, which lets you do
a mass import if you first create a spreadsheet holding all of the data:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Data_Transfer

This may or may not make sense to use, depending on where your outside data
is coming from.

-Yaron

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 8:37 AM, lbillett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We've a need to create/update pages automatically on different frequencies.
> Mulling through 'Category:Page creation extensions' it occurred to me that
> almost all of what I need to do can be accomplished with Semantic Forms.
> Page naming conventions and default content can all be defined there. An
> #autoedit link reduces the required user activity to a single click.
> Problem
> is some of our templates take minutes to populate (fetching lots of
> external
> data).
>
> Is there a tidy way I can *click* an autoedit button (or collection of
> buttons) via cronjob or something? I'm pretty proficient wiki-side, but
> weak
> when it comes to scripting.
>
> On further reading... looks like the sfautoedit API does this? I'll muddle
> with it. Not sure how to handle the credentials/authentication piece (no
> anonymous edits in our wiki). We routinely update properties like this, but
> have never modified/created actual articles. If someone could point me in
> the right direction, I'd be grateful. Thanks!

Re: Autonomous Article Creation via Form?

lbillett
Thank you! I started into this and remembered I had a script written a few years back (not by me) that did something similar using cURL. I was able to tweak it to hit the sfautoedit api and got the desired effect!  Posted it here for reference.

Cheers,

Lbillett

Yaron Koren-2 wrote