BBC and Wikipedia

Mark (Markie)
This blog post (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/03/interesting_stuff_an_open_bbc.html) and picture (http://www.flickr.com/photos/37996583811@N01/3345242414/) from a BBC event seem very interesting and promising!  Maybe we should consider contacting them, as a chapter, to see if there is anything we can start to do together.  The picture shows that they seem to want to encourage their experts to contribute and forming a Wikipedia club, also licensing BBC content for Wikipedia so to me it sounds like something that we should be following up on and offering as much assistance as possible both on the individual level but more importantly as a chapter.

Thoughts?

Regards

Mark

Re: BBC and Wikipedia

Thomas Dalton
2009/3/12 Mark (Markie) <[hidden email]>:

> This blog post
> (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/03/interesting_stuff_an_open_bbc.html)
> and picture (http://www.flickr.com/photos/37996583811@N01/3345242414/) from
> a BBC event seem very interesting and promising!  Maybe we should consider
> contacting them, as a chapter, to see if there is anything we can start to
> do together.  The picture shows that they seem to want to encourage their
> experts to contribute and forming a Wikipedia club, also licensing BBC
> content for Wikipedia so to me it sounds like something that we should be
> following up on and offering as much assistance as possible both on the
> individual level but more importantly as a chapter.

That does sound like something the chapter would be good for - someone
should send them a keep email and see if they are open to discussions.

Re: BBC and Wikipedia

Chris Down-2
Certainly, this could be highly beneficial.

- Chris
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
2009/3/12 Mark (Markie) <[hidden email]>:
> This blog post
> (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/03/interesting_stuff_an_open_bbc.html)
> and picture (http://www.flickr.com/photos/37996583811@N01/3345242414/) from
> a BBC event seem very interesting and promising!  Maybe we should consider
> contacting them, as a chapter, to see if there is anything we can start to
> do together.  The picture shows that they seem to want to encourage their
> experts to contribute and forming a Wikipedia club, also licensing BBC
> content for Wikipedia so to me it sounds like something that we should be
> following up on and offering as much assistance as possible both on the
> individual level but more importantly as a chapter.

That does sound like something the chapter would be good for - someone
should send them a keep email and see if they are open to discussions.

Re: BBC and Wikipedia

Alison M. Wheeler
On Thu, March 12, 2009 13:54, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> That does sound like something the chapter would be good for - someone
> should send them a keep email and see if they are open to discussions.

WMUKv1 had a number of discussions about joint working with the BBC on a
number of projects.

Alison

Re: BBC and Wikipedia

Gordon Joly
At 18:24 +0000 12/3/09, Alison Wheeler wrote:
>On Thu, March 12, 2009 13:54, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>>  That does sound like something the chapter would be good for - someone
>>  should send them a keep email and see if they are open to discussions.
>
>WMUKv1 had a number of discussions about joint working with the BBC on a
>number of projects.
>
>Alison

And was anybody asking the BBC about the use of Open Standards?

Gordon

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: BBC and Wikipedia

2009/3/12 Gordon Joly <[hidden email]>:

> And was anybody asking the BBC about the use of Open Standards?

The main problem in the discussions I had was there wasn't a whole lot
we could do for each other, except convince the BBC to release
something - ANYTHING - under a proper free licence. This was almost
impossible, for various obvious and stupid reasons.

- d.

Re: BBC and Wikipedia

Gordon Joly
At 22:17 +0000 12/3/09, David Gerard wrote:

>2009/3/12 Gordon Joly <[hidden email]>:
>
>>  And was anybody asking the BBC about the use of Open Standards?
>

>The main problem in the discussions I had was there wasn't a whole lot
>we could do for each other, except convince the BBC to release
>something - ANYTHING - under a proper free licence. This was almost
>impossible, for various obvious and stupid reasons.
>
>- d.

Reasons such as this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/creativearchive/licence/full_licence.shtml

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/
[hidden email]///

Re: BBC and Wikipedia

2009/3/12 Gordon Joly <[hidden email]>:
> At 22:17 +0000 12/3/09, David Gerard wrote:
>>2009/3/12 Gordon Joly <[hidden email]>:

>>>  And was anybody asking the BBC about the use of Open Standards?

>>The main problem in the discussions I had was there wasn't a whole lot
>>we could do for each other, except convince the BBC to release
>>something - ANYTHING - under a proper free licence. This was almost
>>impossible, for various obvious and stupid reasons.

> Reasons such as this?
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/creativearchive/licence/full_licence.shtml

Nothing so specific. The main problem was that no-one could work out
how to get an actual free content license past the lawyers. We're
talking about an industry where CC by-nc-nd counts as radical
openness.

"Please release just ONE GODDAMN IMAGE."
"I'll take it to the lawyers, but I don't think they'll like it ..."

- d.

Re: BBC and Wikipedia

Gordon Joly
At 23:13 +0000 12/3/09, David Gerard wrote:

>2009/3/12 Gordon Joly <[hidden email]>:

>>>The main problem in the discussions I had was there wasn't a whole lot
>>>we could do for each other, except convince the BBC to release
>>>something - ANYTHING - under a proper free licence. This was almost
>>>impossible, for various obvious and stupid reasons.
>
>>  Reasons such as this?
>>  http://www.bbc.co.uk/creativearchive/licence/full_licence.shtml
>

>Nothing so specific. The main problem was that no-one could work out
>how to get an actual free content license past the lawyers. We're
>talking about an industry where CC by-nc-nd counts as radical
>openness.
>
>"Please release just ONE GODDAMN IMAGE."
>"I'll take it to the lawyers, but I don't think they'll like it ..."
>

>- d.
>
>_______

And "Desert Island Discs"? Any chance?

Gordo