Quantcast

[BREAKING CHANGE] Internet Explorer 9 will be JavaScript-less starting April 2017

[BREAKING CHANGE] Internet Explorer 9 will be JavaScript-less starting April 2017

Krinkle
Hi all,

Starting in April 2017, MediaWiki will end Grade A support for browsers that
do not implement ES5 JavaScript. [1] This affects Internet Explorer 9 users
and others using very old mobile browsers. [2] Users with these browsers
will
still be able to browse and contribute to the projects. Enhanced features
will
become unavailable. For example, the enhanced edit toolbar will not appear,
and notification buttons will take you to a page rather than open a pop-out.

This change will affect roughly 0.59% of page views to Wikimedia wikis (as
of
February 2017 [2]). Internet Explorer 9 (0.27%), mobile users on iOS 4
(Mobile
Safari 5 — 0.02% of traffic), and Android 2 (0.1%). For comparison, 0.3% of
traffic comes from Internet Explorer 8 (JavaScript-less since January 2016).

Providing JavaScript for IE 9 and other ES3 browsers adds a significant
maintenance burden. It also hinders site speed for all users. Microsoft
ended
its official support for Internet Explorer 9 and 10 in January 2016. [4]
Users unable to upgrade from IE 9 or Android 2 will have a faster experience
going forward, based on well-tested and more stable code.

This change will land in the development branch used on all Wikimedia wikis
this April, to be released as part of MediaWiki 1.29 around May 2017.

Please help carry this message into your communities.
(Tech News has announced this change as well)

Yours,
-- Timo

For details about the JavaScript-less experience, see
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Compatibility

[1] http://caniuse.com/#feat=use-strict Browser support for ES5 (strict)
[2] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T128115#3066522 Breakdown of
Wikimedia page views from pre-ES5 browsers
[3]
https://analytics.wikimedia.org/dashboards/browsers/#all-sites-by-browser/browser-family-and-major-hierarchical-view
(Note: Filter date to last 2-3 months only!)
[4] https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/End-of-IE-support
http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/12/microsoft-ends-support-for-ie8-ie9-ie10-and-windows-8/

Re: [BREAKING CHANGE] Internet Explorer 9 will be JavaScript-less starting April 2017

Joaquin Oltra Hernandez
Great news!

Have we considered dropping IE 10 to grade C given Microsoft ended support
for it more than a year ago and it seems to be as low as IE 9 (only a 0.24%
*[1]*)?

Also, a question. Does this mean we don't need to explicitly list the
*es5-shim* any more?

Thanks for the great work.

*[1]* all-sites-by-browser/browser-family-and-major-hierarchical-view
<https://analytics.wikimedia.org/dashboards/browsers/#all-sites-by-browser/browser-family-and-major-hierarchical-view>
with
this filter: 2017-01-01 - 2017-03-20

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 5:03 AM, Krinkle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Starting in April 2017, MediaWiki will end Grade A support for browsers
> that
> do not implement ES5 JavaScript. [1] This affects Internet Explorer 9 users
> and others using very old mobile browsers. [2] Users with these browsers
> will
> still be able to browse and contribute to the projects. Enhanced features
> will
> become unavailable. For example, the enhanced edit toolbar will not appear,
> and notification buttons will take you to a page rather than open a
> pop-out.
>
> This change will affect roughly 0.59% of page views to Wikimedia wikis (as
> of
> February 2017 [2]). Internet Explorer 9 (0.27%), mobile users on iOS 4
> (Mobile
> Safari 5 — 0.02% of traffic), and Android 2 (0.1%). For comparison, 0.3% of
> traffic comes from Internet Explorer 8 (JavaScript-less since January
> 2016).
>
> Providing JavaScript for IE 9 and other ES3 browsers adds a significant
> maintenance burden. It also hinders site speed for all users. Microsoft
> ended
> its official support for Internet Explorer 9 and 10 in January 2016. [4]
> Users unable to upgrade from IE 9 or Android 2 will have a faster
> experience
> going forward, based on well-tested and more stable code.
>
> This change will land in the development branch used on all Wikimedia wikis
> this April, to be released as part of MediaWiki 1.29 around May 2017.
>
> Please help carry this message into your communities.
> (Tech News has announced this change as well)
>
> Yours,
> -- Timo
>
> For details about the JavaScript-less experience, see
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Compatibility
>

> [1] http://caniuse.com/#feat=use-strict Browser support for ES5 (strict)
> [2] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T128115#3066522 Breakdown of
> Wikimedia page views from pre-ES5 browsers
> [3]
> https://analytics.wikimedia.org/dashboards/browsers/#all-
> sites-by-browser/browser-family-and-major-hierarchical-view
> (Note: Filter date to last 2-3 months only!)
> [4] https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/End-of-IE-support
> http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/12/microsoft-ends-support-
> for-ie8-ie9-ie10-and-windows-8/

Re: [BREAKING CHANGE] Internet Explorer 9 will be JavaScript-less starting April 2017

James Forrester-4
On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 at 07:19 Joaquin Oltra Hernandez <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great news!
>
> Have we considered dropping IE 10 to grade C given Microsoft ended support
> for it more than a year ago and it seems to be as low as IE 9 (only a 0.24%
> *[1]*)?

Certainly, that would be the next step. I think that the additional burden
of IE10 over IE11 is relatively slight, so I'd probably recommend keeping
it in Grade A for at least a few months more, unless there's an urgent
need. As always, each non-core feature needs to decide for itself what
support level is provided for older browsers.

(Last week, IE10 is down to 0.22%, BTW — lower than IE4, let alone IE6.)

> Also, a question. Does this mean we don't need to explicitly list the
> *es5-shim* any more?

Yes, this will mean that. But not until the patch[*] is merged, at which
point depending on es5-shim will become a no-op with a deprecation notice
(and I'll do patches to fix up WMF-production extensions).

[*] - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/340893/
--

James D. Forrester
Lead Product Manager, Editing
jforrester at wikimedia.org
@jdforrester

Re: [BREAKING CHANGE] Internet Explorer 9 will be JavaScript-less starting April 2017

Tilman Bayer
BTW, when looking at these stats, note also that the percentage for
IE7 (2.9% recently) is likely inflated due to unidentified bot
traffic:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T148461#3011175
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T157404

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 11:07 AM, James Forrester
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 at 07:19 Joaquin Oltra Hernandez <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Great news!
>>
>> Have we considered dropping IE 10 to grade C given Microsoft ended support
>> for it more than a year ago and it seems to be as low as IE 9 (only a 0.24%
>> *[1]*)?
>>

> Certainly, that would be the next step. I think that the additional burden
> of IE10 over IE11 is relatively slight, so I'd probably recommend keeping
> it in Grade A for at least a few months more, unless there's an urgent
> need. As always, each non-core feature needs to decide for itself what
> support level is provided for older browsers.
>
> (Last week, IE10 is down to 0.22%, BTW — lower than IE4, let alone IE6.)
>

>> Also, a question. Does this mean we don't need to explicitly list the
>> *es5-shim* any more?
>>

> Yes, this will mean that. But not until the patch[*] is merged, at which
> point depending on es5-shim will become a no-op with a deprecation notice
> (and I'll do patches to fix up WMF-production extensions).
>
> [*] - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/340893/
> --
>
> James D. Forrester
> Lead Product Manager, Editing