Babylon Ltd using Wikipedia - press release questions

Babylon Ltd using Wikipedia - press release questions

David Gerard-2
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060214/uktu013.html?.v=48
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-14-2006/0004281390&EDATE=

  OR YEHUDA, Israel, February 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Babylon Ltd., the leading
  provider of single-click translation and information access software, and
  Wikipedia the free-content, user edited encyclopedia, today announced the
  launch of the Wikipedia as part of Babylon's solution.

    [...]

  "Our collaboration with Wikipedia is the first of its kind for Babylon".
  said Alon Carmeli, VP Sales and Marketing, Babylon Ltd.

Dropping our name so as to imply a more active collaboration than
downloading a database dump ... that seems slightly questionable
behaviour. Unless, of course, there was an active collaboration with
Babylon Ltd?

- d.

Re: Babylon Ltd using Wikipedia - press release questions

Patrick, Brad
They jumped the gun with the release but yes, there is a deal with Babylon pending.

--------------------------

  OR YEHUDA, Israel, February 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Babylon Ltd., the leading
  provider of single-click translation and information access software, and
  Wikipedia the free-content, user edited encyclopedia, today announced the
  launch of the Wikipedia as part of Babylon's solution.

    [...]

  "Our collaboration with Wikipedia is the first of its kind for Babylon".
  said Alon Carmeli, VP Sales and Marketing, Babylon Ltd.

Dropping our name so as to imply a more active collaboration than
downloading a database dump ... that seems slightly questionable
behaviour. Unless, of course, there was an active collaboration with
Babylon Ltd?

- d.

Disclaimer under IRS Circular 230: Unless expressly stated otherwise in this transmission, nothing contained in this message is intended or written to be used, nor may it be relied upon or used, (1) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended and/or (2) by any person to support the promotion or marketing of or to recommend any Federal tax transaction(s) or matter(s) addressed in this message.

If you desire a formal opinion on a particular tax matter for the purpose of avoiding the imposition of any penalties, we will discuss the additional Treasury requirements that must be met and whether it is possible to meet those requirements under the circumstances, as well as the anticipated time and additional fees involved.
Confidentiality Disclaimer: This e-mail message and any attachments are private communication sent by a law firm, Fowler White Boggs Banker P.A., and may contain confidential, legally privileged information meant solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message, then delete the e-mail and any attachments from your system. Thank you.

Re: Babylon Ltd using Wikipedia - press release questions

Erik Moeller-2
One thing I was worried about is that Babylon contained spyware for some
time. However, it turns out that they already removed it in 2002 to
appeal to a professional audience. Anyone worried that Babylon contains
spyware should read this:

http://www.babylon.com/eng/display.php?id=87&tree=7&level=3&show_id=680

Otherwise, it's a fairly cool product, since it uses OCR to identify
words you click on, so you can even translate stuff from images. I used
it all the time when I was still on Windows.

Erik

Re: Babylon Ltd using Wikipedia - press release questions

Ray Saintonge
Welcome to the world of corporate ethics.
Ec

David Gerard wrote:

>http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060214/uktu013.html?.v=48
>http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-14-2006/0004281390&EDATE=
>
>  OR YEHUDA, Israel, February 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Babylon Ltd., the leading
>  provider of single-click translation and information access software, and
>  Wikipedia the free-content, user edited encyclopedia, today announced the
>  launch of the Wikipedia as part of Babylon's solution.
>
>    [...]
>
>  "Our collaboration with Wikipedia is the first of its kind for Babylon".
>  said Alon Carmeli, VP Sales and Marketing, Babylon Ltd.
>
>Dropping our name so as to imply a more active collaboration than
>downloading a database dump ... that seems slightly questionable
>behaviour. Unless, of course, there was an active collaboration with
>Babylon Ltd?

Re: Babylon Ltd using Wikipedia - press releasequestions

Phil Boswell
"Erik Moeller" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> One thing I was worried about is that Babylon contained spyware for some
> time. However, it turns out that they already removed it in 2002 to
> appeal to a professional audience. Anyone worried that Babylon contains
> spyware should read this:
>
> http://www.babylon.com/eng/display.php?id=87&tree=7&level=3&show_id=680

Erm...

I just love the way a company whose entire reason for being is to translate
stuff fails to include an English translation: the link at the top of that
page where it says "this is also available in English" simply returns to the
German copy.

Actually, clicking around that website, I cannot in the short time available
find **any** links between the various language versions of what would
appear to be the same press releases: they don't even have the same date. It
would appear that the Wikipedia press release is only available in German.

Oops much?
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]

Re: Babylon Ltd using Wikipedia - press releasequestions

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I do not know if it is a press release, it seems to be much more of a
marketing thingie.. There has been a similar e-mail going around in
the Dutch language to Babylon customers..

It is a sad thing that there has been no communication over this while
it has been well known by a fairly large group outside of the
"organisation". This cat has been out of the bag for quite some time
now. I think that this is something for our Miss Communication.. :)

Thanks,
   GerardM