Banners coming down for most logged in users

Banners coming down for most logged in users

Philippe Beaudette-2
Hi everyone,

A quick announcement: we are temporarily turning off the fundraising banners for most logged in users.  This will continue most likely through the end of the year.  We did some quick checking and realized that most people who are logged in and intend to give have already given.  The banners will stay off for a while, and we'll most likely not turn them on until after the first of the year for a final wrap-up push.

For those of you in chapter areas, as always, the chapters control messaging in their territories - this should only impact users who are in the areas where the fundraiser messaging is controlled by the Foundation.

Enjoy the respite :)

Philippe

_______________________
Philippe Beaudette
Head of Reader Relations
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

[hidden email]

Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share
in the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!

http://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: Banners coming down for most logged in users

KIZU Naoko
Hello,

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 5:26 AM, Philippe Beaudette
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> A quick announcement: we are temporarily turning off the fundraising banners for most logged in users.  This will continue most likely through the end of the year.  We did some quick checking and realized that most people who are logged in and intend to give have already given.  The banners will stay off for a while, and we'll most likely not turn them on until after the first of the year for a final wrap-up push.

So will they come back after New Year's Day?

> For those of you in chapter areas, as always, the chapters control messaging in their territories - this should only impact users who are in the areas where the fundraiser messaging is controlled by the Foundation.

That said, although we at WiKansai are no chapter, we are organizing a
WikiX event coming very soon - being held on January 22, and aiming to
publicize it using CentralNotice. I don't know what comes when two
kinds of banners are put through CN,
but anyway arrangement would be necessary, although my latest mail
asking for such arrangement with Foundation hasn't been replied yet.

Cheers,

> Enjoy the respite :)
>
> Philippe
>
> _______________________
> Philippe Beaudette
> Head of Reader Relations
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>
> [hidden email]
>
> Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share
> in the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
>
> http://donate.wikimedia.org

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

Re: Banners coming down for most logged in users

Philippe Beaudette-2
Naoko,

We're actually still figuring out the right way to use the centralnotice for advertising events.  We're concerned about not overwhelming particular events, but also with making sure that the word gets out - it's a bit of a balancing act.

Once we've figured out the best way to go about doing that (and we'd appreciate any suggestions), we'll start putting a process into place.

Centralnotice is like a cannon... we don't want to direct a notice at millions of people, if the party isn't ready for the potential end result.

pb

_______________________

2010/12/21 Philippe Beaudette <[hidden email]>:
> Naoko,
>
> We're actually still figuring out the right way to use the centralnotice for advertising events.  We're concerned about not overwhelming particular events, but also with making sure that the word gets out - it's a bit of a balancing act.

Point taken, and that is primarily I'd like to get you involved. All
of us would like to make a balance I suppose.

One thing I haven't mentioned on the list is ... a concern if
advertising WP focusing events on other projects. There would be
various opinions, but giving a thought on this issue for hours, I
reached a conclusion it would be much better than holding such events
without inviting other project participants (like me). The latter
could be more insulting.

> Once we've figured out the best way to go about doing that (and we'd appreciate any suggestions), we'll start putting a process into place.

Do you have any timeline? The earliest events (not of ours) will be
held in less than a month and everyone is rushing into holidays ...

> Centralnotice is like a cannon... we don't want to direct a notice at millions of people, if the party isn't ready for the potential end result.

Sure, but if I didn't mentioned (uh-oh and it was very likely ....
then sorry), we at WiKansai are mainly interested in making a limit
using CN thanks to geotarget: jawiki users are not only living in
Japan. I suppose it might be much more concerns in language projects
whose languages are more widely spoken beyond border of one country.

Cheers,

> pb
>
> _______________________
> Philippe Beaudette
> Head of Reader Relations
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>
> [hidden email]
>
> Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share
> in the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
>
> http://donate.wikimedia.org
>
> On Dec 20, 2010, at 8:11 PM, KIZU Naoko wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 5:26 AM, Philippe Beaudette
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> A quick announcement: we are temporarily turning off the fundraising banners for most logged in users.  This will continue most likely through the end of the year.  We did some quick checking and realized that most people who are logged in and intend to give have already given.  The banners will stay off for a while, and we'll most likely not turn them on until after the first of the year for a final wrap-up push.
>>
>> So will they come back after New Year's Day?
>>>
>>> For those of you in chapter areas, as always, the chapters control messaging in their territories - this should only impact users who are in the areas where the fundraiser messaging is controlled by the Foundation.
>>
>> That said, although we at WiKansai are no chapter, we are organizing a
>> WikiX event coming very soon - being held on January 22, and aiming to
>> publicize it using CentralNotice. I don't know what comes when two
>> kinds of banners are put through CN,
>> but anyway arrangement would be necessary, although my latest mail
>> asking for such arrangement with Foundation hasn't been replied yet.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

>>> Enjoy the respite :)
>>>
>>> Philippe
>>>
>>> _______________________
>>> Philippe Beaudette
>>> Head of Reader Relations
>>> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>>>
>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>>> Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share
>>> in the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
>>>
>>> http://donate.wikimedia.org

>> --
>> KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
>> member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

Re: Banners coming down for most logged in users

Mike DuPont
Can I make a humble suggestion about the banners, and some other things.
on my slow computer, the banner takes a while to load, and when i click on
the page the click lands on the banner.
I dont mind looking at the banner, but I do mind that i click on it all the
time by accident,
maybe a simple trick to allocate space for it with some html and then load
the image later. that would at least help people on slow computers and slow
connections.

Another optimization would be to be able to display only a section of a
large page, like edit section, with preview, but display section.
It would be nice to only load the headers of the page sections and the load
the rest with ajax, that would speed up the page loads greatly.

It would be also nice on commons to be able to find pages by filename or
text, the search does not seem to find things properly.
just some ideas that have occured to me. We are also looking for some prize
money for the photo competition if anyone wants to donate some.

thanks,
mike

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Philippe Beaudette <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> A quick announcement: we are temporarily turning off the fundraising
> banners for most logged in users.  This will continue most likely through
> the end of the year.  We did some quick checking and realized that most
> people who are logged in and intend to give have already given.  The banners
> will stay off for a while, and we'll most likely not turn them on until
> after the first of the year for a final wrap-up push.
>
> For those of you in chapter areas, as always, the chapters control
> messaging in their territories - this should only impact users who are in
> the areas where the fundraiser messaging is controlled by the Foundation.
>
> Enjoy the respite :)
>
> Philippe
>
> _______________________
> Philippe Beaudette
> Head of Reader Relations
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>
> [hidden email]
>
> Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share
> in the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
>
> http://donate.wikimedia.org

James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova and Albania flossk.org
flossal.org

Re: Banners coming down for most logged in users

MZMcBride-2
Philippe Beaudette wrote:

> We're actually still figuring out the right way to use the centralnotice for
> advertising events.  We're concerned about not overwhelming particular events,
> but also with making sure that the word gets out - it's a bit of a balancing
> act.
>
> Once we've figured out the best way to go about doing that (and we'd
> appreciate any suggestions), we'll start putting a process into place.
>
> Centralnotice is like a cannon... we don't want to direct a notice at millions
> of people, if the party isn't ready for the potential end result.

Related discussion about using global banners for non-fundraising:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Global_banners

I'm afraid I don't have any great suggestions for determining whether a
global banner is necessary and at what level (for all users on all projects,
only certain projects, only logged-in users, etc.). Perhaps a requests page
of some kind is needed at Meta-Wiki with guidelines for what the available
options are, what's generally appropriate for specific types of messages,
and offer a place for people to submit banner requests?

MZMcBride

Mike Dupont wrote:

> Can I make a humble suggestion about the banners, and some other things.
> on my slow computer, the banner takes a while to load, and when i click on
> the page the click lands on the banner.
> I dont mind looking at the banner, but I do mind that i click on it all the
> time by accident,
> maybe a simple trick to allocate space for it with some html and then load
> the image later. that would at least help people on slow computers and slow
> connections.
>
> Another optimization would be to be able to display only a section of a
> large page, like edit section, with preview, but display section.
> It would be nice to only load the headers of the page sections and the load
> the rest with ajax, that would speed up the page loads greatly.
>
> It would be also nice on commons to be able to find pages by filename or
> text, the search does not seem to find things properly.
> just some ideas that have occured to me. We are also looking for some prize
> money for the photo competition if anyone wants to donate some.

These are interesting suggestions, but are only tangential to the thread
topic at best. If you have ideas for improving CentralNotice, you want
wikitech-l[1] or Bugzilla.[2] Those are the venues where developers are
paying (more) attention and there's a much higher likelihood of your ideas
being acted on (or at least discussed and considered).

MZMcBride

[2] https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/