Banners to increase editors

jmh649
Having trouble posting.  Trying again:

We had a banner last year to raise funds for the WMF.  Unsure if anyone has
suggested this yet but how about running a banner to encourage our readers
to: 1) add content 2) correct spelling 3) revert vandalism?

I have asked many people about their use of Wikipedia and many are unaware
that it is even possible for them to edit.  We could have something like
"Wikipedia is in the public domain that means it belongs to all of us.
Please help us expand, protect, and improve it" or some such thing?  We
could either run this sort of message alone or combine it with the fun
raiser banner next year?

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, B.Sc.

Re: Banners to increase editors

Keegan Peterzell
On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 1:26 AM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Having trouble posting.  Trying again:
>
> We had a banner last year to raise funds for the WMF.  Unsure if anyone has
> suggested this yet but how about running a banner to encourage our readers
> to: 1) add content 2) correct spelling 3) revert vandalism?
>
> I have asked many people about their use of Wikipedia and many are unaware
> that it is even possible for them to edit.  We could have something like
> "Wikipedia is in the public domain that means it belongs to all of us.
> Please help us expand, protect, and improve it" or some such thing?  We
> could either run this sort of message alone or combine it with the fun
> raiser banner next year?
>
> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, B.Sc.

I'd rather see a banner about contributing to your own native language wiki,
along the same spirit of your idea.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

Re: Banners to increase editors

Nicholas Moreau
Along Keegan's idea about encouraging contributions in the reader's
native language, does Wikimedia track the preset language of visitors?
I know some analytics packages do, not sure if this is against
Wikimedia's privacy policies.

If the server senses the reader is preset to en, and looking at en,
then no message would be displayed during the campaign. If their
preset is say, sl, and they're looking at en, or vice-versa, then the
message would appear.

Is this technically possible? Is this within the boundaries of taste
(ie not being creepy)?

Nick

Re: Banners to increase editors

Pavlo Shevelo
> ... many are unaware
> that it is even possible for them to edit.
Recently I discovered, that it's true

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 8:26 AM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Having trouble posting.  Trying again:
>
> We had a banner last year to raise funds for the WMF.  Unsure if anyone has
> suggested this yet but how about running a banner to encourage our readers
> to: 1) add content 2) correct spelling 3) revert vandalism?
>
> I have asked many people about their use of Wikipedia and many are unaware
> that it is even possible for them to edit.  We could have something like
> "Wikipedia is in the public domain that means it belongs to all of us.
> Please help us expand, protect, and improve it" or some such thing?  We
> could either run this sort of message alone or combine it with the fun
> raiser banner next year?
>
> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, B.Sc.

Re: Banners to increase editors

MZMcBride-2
James Heilman wrote:
> We had a banner last year to raise funds for the WMF.  Unsure if anyone has
> suggested this yet but how about running a banner to encourage our readers
> to: 1) add content 2) correct spelling 3) revert vandalism?

This was implemented on the English Wikipedia for quite some time. I called
it "anon tips." The tips were placed above the discussion, edit, etc. tabs.
It included some donation appeals ("Wikipedia is sustained by people like
you. Please donate today.") as well as some informative tips ("Ten things
you may not know about Wikipedia."[1]), with random rotation and a bias
toward the donation messages, I think. The banner was shown only to logged
out users.

I removed the anon tips banner[2] because the content was getting old, there
was a concern about having too much noise with the upcoming annual
fundraising banner, and the code needed to be rewritten.[3]

Something along the same lines, either for the English Wikipedia or for
other projects as well, might be something to consider.

MZMcBride
19:14, 18 March 2010 (UTC)

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Ten_things_you_may_not_know_about_Wik
ipedia
[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Monobook.js&diff=3225884
03&oldid=288720468
[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:Common.js/Archive_17#Anontips_ba
nner

Nicholas Moreau wrote:
> Along Keegan's idea about encouraging contributions in the reader's
> native language, does Wikimedia track the preset language of visitors?
> I know some analytics packages do, not sure if this is against
> Wikimedia's privacy policies.

It's difficult to know what you mean by "the preset language." There is the
language that logged-in users set in their user preferences that controls
the language of the MediaWiki interface. There is also the language that the
browser or system is set to.

In the past, JavaScript has been employed very rarely to base certain page
elements on a browser's language setting. The only places I can think of
off-hand that do this are the Wikimedia error message[1] and the Wikipedia
multilingual homepage.[2] Even then, it looks as though the error message
JavaScript first tries to determine the language to use from the URL before
trying to guess from the user's browser or system settings.

To my knowledge, no tracking is currently done of language settings, whether
the settings are through the MediaWiki interface or not. With the rewrite of
the preferences system, it shouldn't be too difficult to aggregate the data
on a per-project basis. To collect and aggregate the data for all visitors
would be a much larger and more complex undertaking.

> Is this technically possible? Is this within the boundaries of taste
> (ie not being creepy)?

With enough time and energy, nearly anything is technically possible. I
don't think doing broad analysis of language selections or redirecting users
based on their language preference is "creepy." It might be a usability
issue or something else, but not creepy.

MZMcBride
19:27, 18 March 2010 (UTC)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/&amp;
[2] http://www.wikipedia.org/

Re: Banners to increase editors

geni
On 18 March 2010 14:15, Nicholas Moreau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is this technically possible? Is this within the boundaries of taste
> (ie not being creepy)?
>
> Nick

Technically possible but completely undesirable. People frequently
make the choice to use wikipedia in a non native language and hitting
them with more rubbish in the banner space is not a useful addition.

Instead the foundation needs to develop better self control over it's
use of central notices.

--
geni