Behaviour when no titles specified

Max Semenik
Currently, when you specify not titles parameter for queries that
require it, such as http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&prop=info
you get an empty result set:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<api />

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to return error in such cases, or at
least to provide a notice that there is noting to query from?

--
  Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

Re: Behaviour when no titles specified

Roan Kattouw
Max Semenik schreef:

> Currently, when you specify not titles parameter for queries that
> require it, such as http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&prop=info
> you get an empty result set:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <api />
>
> Wouldn't it be more beneficial to return error in such cases, or at
> least to provide a notice that there is noting to query from?

Isn't this also clear? The API quite literally returns nothing.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Re: Behaviour when no titles specified

Mark Wagner-2
On 5/29/08, Max Semenik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Currently, when you specify not titles parameter for queries that
>  require it, such as http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&prop=info
>  you get an empty result set:
>
>  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
>  <api />
>
>  Wouldn't it be more beneficial to return error in such cases, or at
>  least to provide a notice that there is noting to query from?

The current behavior makes sense to me: you ask for nothing, and you
get nothing in return.

--
Mark
[[en:User:Carnildo]]