Berkman-Klein Center fellowship deadline approaching!

Berkman-Klein Center fellowship deadline approaching!

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
Dear Wikimedia Researchers,

I am writing to you from the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University<https://cyber.harvard.edu/> -  a public interest research center dedicated to exploring, understanding, and shaping the development of the digitally-networked environment. We are now accepting fellowship applications for the 2020-2021 academic year through our annual open call<https://cyber.harvard.edu/getinvolved/fellowships/2021Fellows>.

This fellowship opportunity is for those who wish to spend 2020-2021 in residence in Cambridge, MA as part of the Center's vibrant community of research and practice, and who seek to engage in collaborative, cross-disciplinary, and cross-sectoral exploration of some of the Internet's most important and compelling issues. Some more information is below, and I invite you to check out our full call<https://cyber.harvard.edu/getinvolved/fellowships/2021Fellows>, which has more information about our community activities and the application process.

Please feel most welcome to share this information with others in your network who may have interest. Any questions can be directed to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>.

Applications will be accepted until Friday January 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time.

More about the fellowship program:

Fellows are supported in an inviting and playful intellectual environment - we have community activities designed to foster inquiry and risk-taking, to identify and expose common threads across fellows’ individual activities, and to bring fellows into conversation with the students, staff, faculty, and broader community at the Berkman Klein Center.

We invite applications from people working on a broad range of opportunities and challenges related to Internet and society, which may overlap with ongoing work at the Berkman Klein Center and may expose our community to new opportunities and approaches. We encourage applications from scholars, practitioners, innovators, engineers, artists, and others committed to understanding and advancing the public interest who come from —and have interest in — countries industrialized or developing, with ideas, projects, or activities in all phases on a spectrum from incubation to reflection.

To make fellowships a possibility for as wide a range of applicants as possible, in the 2020-2021 academic year we will award a small number of stipends to incoming fellows. This funding is intended to support people from communities who are underrepresented in fields related to Internet and society, who will contribute to the diversity of the Berkman Klein Center’s research and activities, and who have financial need. More information about this funding opportunity may be found here<https://cyber.harvard.edu/getinvolved/fellowships/stipends-for-candidates-2021>.

The work and well-being of the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society are profoundly strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, age, ability, and much more. We actively seek and welcome people of color, women, the LGBTQIA+ community, persons with disabilities, and people at intersections of these identities, from across the spectrum of disciplines and methods.

The full call for applications may be found at: https://cyber.harvard.edu/getinvolved/fellowships/2021Fellows

Applications will be accepted until Friday January 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time.

About the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society
The Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University is dedicated to exploring, understanding, and shaping the development of the digitally-networked environment. A diverse, interdisciplinary community of scholars, practitioners, technologists, policy experts, and advocates, we seek to tackle the most important challenges of the digital age while keeping a focus on tangible real-world impact in the public interest. Our faculty, fellows, staff, and affiliates conduct research, build tools and platforms, educate others, form bridges and facilitate dialogue across and among diverse communities. More information at https://cyber.harvard.edu<https://cyber.harvard.edu/>.

Feel free to reach out to me to chat informally, if you're interested in pursuing this endeavor.

best,

Dariusz

 --

_____________________________

[https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/28_4liQwIiNQmYh0G9FjIw5_4xyXPU6AQlm3IeESnn10cU2RAakNKAp8QVcjZWyjmA8KQfyS6vFYTN7SgJosUN1jhDdsK4TQcwwxB6qmWrJbkEL4ri31cooCI30sqhPSVKAQ2mLN]<https://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl>

Dariusz Jemielniak, Ph.D., Full Professor, head of  MINDS<https://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl/>

(Management in Networked and Digital  Societies), Kozminski University

Polish Academy of Sciences corresponding member

associate faculty Berkman-Klein Center for Internet and Society<https://cyber.harvard.edu>, Harvard University

Key books: Collaborative Society<https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/collaborative-society> (2020, MIT Press, with A. Przegalinska), Thick Big Data<https://global.oup.com/academic/product/thick-big-data-9780198839705?cc=gb&lang=en> (2020, Oxford University Press), Common Knowlege?<https://www.sup.org/books/title/?id=24010> (2014, Stanford University Press)
Recent articles:

Jemielniak D. (2019) Wikipedia: Why is the common knowledge resource still neglected by academics?<https://academic.oup.com/gigascience/article/8/12/giz139/5651107>, Gigascience 8(12):  giz139

Hergueux, J. & Jemielniak, D. (2019) Should digital files be considered a commons? Copyright infringement in the eyes of lawyers<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01972243.2019.1616019?fbclid=IwAR1Wskn7Bwnhko05SS-frOc6TiAuxPzPSWGo5_50Xu6NiNdxnDfxeleF-PM>, The Information Society, 35(4): 198-215

Jemielniak, D.,Masukume, G. & Wilamowski, M.  (2019) The Most Influential Medical Journals According to Wikipedia: Quantitative Analysis<https://www.jmir.org/2019/1/e11429/pdf>, Journal of Medical Internet Research, 21(1):E11429

Re: Berkman-Klein Center fellowship deadline approaching!

J. Nathan Matias
I want to second Dariusz's encouragement!

Here's my post from 2013 about why you should apply to be a Berkman-Klein
Fellow
<https://civic.mit.edu/2013/12/01/why-you-should-apply-to-be-a-berkman-fellow/>
.

All the best,