Best way to migrate from 1.6 to 1.15

toshi esumi-3
Hi,

We finally got a new Linux based server (running on VMware) to migrate
our current v1.6 wiki for our company knowledge-base to. It's been a
quite long story (bankruptcy&acqusition-survival-sort-of-stuff) to get
to the current status, which nothing to do with my question.

Anyhow, the existing stand-alone machine is another kind of Linux
(Centos). I'm guessing our database is relatively simple, mainly text
+image files. Since we got a new server, I think we have some options to
do the migration safely and effectively. We already got V1.15.2
installed and running on the new server. Does anybody have suggestions
for the migration procedure? Or can anybody point me to a wiki page(s)
where I can find the info I'm looking for?

Just like most of you, we don't have a dedicated IT person who I might
able to ask to do some research.

Lots of thanks in advance.

Toshi

Re: Best way to migrate from 1.6 to 1.15

Benjamin Lees
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Toshi Esumi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Or can anybody point me to a wiki page(s)
> where I can find the info I'm looking for?

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading

Re: Best way to migrate from 1.6 to 1.15

Jesse (Pathoschild)
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Toshi Esumi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We finally got a new Linux based server (running on VMware) to migrate
> our current v1.6 wiki for our company knowledge-base to.
> [...]
> Does anybody have suggestions for the migration procedure? Or can
> anybody point me to a wiki page(s) where I can find the info I'm looking
> for?

Hello Toshi,

This is a major upgrade. Make sure to back up your files and database
before starting. You can try upgrading directly from 1.6 to 1.15, but
this has a good chance of failing. Consider upgrading in several steps
(eg, 1.6 to 1.8 to 1.10, etc). Perhaps someone more knowledgeable
about MediaWiki versions can suggest the minimum safe version steps.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse (Pathoschild)

Re: Best way to migrate from 1.6 to 1.15

Tim Starling-2
Jesse (Pathoschild) wrote:

> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Toshi Esumi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We finally got a new Linux based server (running on VMware) to migrate
>> our current v1.6 wiki for our company knowledge-base to.
>> [...]
>> Does anybody have suggestions for the migration procedure? Or can
>> anybody point me to a wiki page(s) where I can find the info I'm looking
>> for?
>

> Hello Toshi,
>
> This is a major upgrade. Make sure to back up your files and database
> before starting. You can try upgrading directly from 1.6 to 1.15, but
> this has a good chance of failing. Consider upgrading in several steps
> (eg, 1.6 to 1.8 to 1.10, etc). Perhaps someone more knowledgeable
> about MediaWiki versions can suggest the minimum safe version steps.

Please upgrade in a single step, do not upgrade to intermediate
versions. I have given this answer several times on this mailing list,
and in the upgrade FAQ:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:FAQ#Upgrading

-- Tim Starling

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 23:01 -0400, Benjamin Lees wrote:
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Toshi Esumi <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>         Or can anybody point me to a wiki page(s)
>         where I can find the info I'm looking for?
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading

Thanks Benjamin for the link. Based on what I understood from this
manual page, it is assumed the upgrade procedure happens on the server
that the existing Mediawiki+database reside. Is this implying there is
no way to set up a new version of Mediawiki on a new server machine and,
somehow, convert the existing, or backed-up, database (including
imagefiles) to fits into the new environment off-line and inject it into
the new machine/environment?

In other words, in our case, we need to install V1.6 and all database
(or duplicate the current environment) into the new server first, then
from there, we can upgrade Mediawiki based on the procedure written in
the manual page. Am I right, or misunderstanding something?

Thanks,

Toshi Esumi wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 23:01 -0400, Benjamin Lees wrote:
>> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Toshi Esumi <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>         Or can anybody point me to a wiki page(s)
>>         where I can find the info I'm looking for?
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading
>
> Thanks Benjamin for the link. Based on what I understood from this
> manual page, it is assumed the upgrade procedure happens on the server
> that the existing Mediawiki+database reside. Is this implying there is
> no way to set up a new version of Mediawiki on a new server machine and,
> somehow, convert the existing, or backed-up, database (including
> imagefiles) to fits into the new environment off-line and inject it into
> the new machine/environment?
>
> In other words, in our case, we need to install V1.6 and all database
> (or duplicate the current environment) into the new server first, then
> from there, we can upgrade Mediawiki based on the procedure written in
> the manual page. Am I right, or misunderstanding something?

You don't need to install the source code from MediaWiki 1.6 before
you upgrade. You only need to move the database across to the new
machine. The data needs to be loaded into a MySQL instance, you can't
upgrade an SQL dump.

Unpack the MediaWiki 1.15 tarball on the new machine, then copy the
images and LocalSettings.php from the old server across to the new
1.15 directory tree. Then run update.php or the web installer to
upgrade the database.

-- Tim Starling

On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 14:38 +1000, Tim Starling wrote:

> Toshi Esumi wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Benjamin for the link. Based on what I understood from this
> > manual page, it is assumed the upgrade procedure happens on the server
> > that the existing Mediawiki+database reside. Is this implying there is
> > no way to set up a new version of Mediawiki on a new server machine and,
> > somehow, convert the existing, or backed-up, database (including
> > imagefiles) to fits into the new environment off-line and inject it into
> > the new machine/environment?
> >
> > In other words, in our case, we need to install V1.6 and all database
> > (or duplicate the current environment) into the new server first, then
> > from there, we can upgrade Mediawiki based on the procedure written in
> > the manual page. Am I right, or misunderstanding something?
>
> You don't need to install the source code from MediaWiki 1.6 before
> you upgrade. You only need to move the database across to the new
> machine. The data needs to be loaded into a MySQL instance, you can't
> upgrade an SQL dump.
>
> Unpack the MediaWiki 1.15 tarball on the new machine, then copy the
> images and LocalSettings.php from the old server across to the new
> 1.15 directory tree. Then run update.php or the web installer to
> upgrade the database.
>
> -- Tim Starling

We need to unstaill 1.15 then. Coping the data first, and re-installing
the 1.15 to let it grab all tree structure including the all images
under "images" folder based on what's in the LocalSettings.php.

Toshi