Betawiki being hosted by Wikimedia?

Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason
This has been brought up before, and I'm taking it into my own hands
on pushing it forward. The idea is to start hosting Betawiki on a
Wikimedia site. On a new project or merge it into an excisting one
(Incubator?). I've put up a site for discussion. Please take a look
at it and consider it.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Betawiki_being_hosted_by_Wikimedia

Best wishes
Eysteinn Guðni Guðnason
Filmmaker
Independant Herbalife distributor
Mobile: (+354) 822-3559
www.steinninn.is

Re: Betawiki being hosted by Wikimedia?

Mohamed Magdy-2
Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason wrote:
> This has been brought up before, and I'm taking it into my own hands
> on pushing it forward. The idea is to start hosting Betawiki on a
> Wikimedia site. On a new project or merge it into an excisting one
> (Incubator?). I've put up a site for discussion. Please take a look
> at it and consider it.
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Betawiki_being_hosted_by_Wikimedia

I think it is a good idea for the sustainability of the  project.

I'm also with making  it on a separate wiki because people's permissions
on betawiki are different from the incubator..and also may be let the
betawiki run all the extensions to test its translations?

Re: Betawiki being hosted by Wikimedia?

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
This is the best news I have heard in a long time. It is obviously
disheartening that we have had to wait for some movement on this badly
needed and long anticipated patch.
Thanks,
     GeradM

On 8/31/07, Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This has been brought up before, and I'm taking it into my own hands
> on pushing it forward. The idea is to start hosting Betawiki on a
> Wikimedia site. On a new project or merge it into an excisting one
> (Incubator?). I've put up a site for discussion. Please take a look
> at it and consider it.
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Betawiki_being_hosted_by_Wikimedia
>

> Best wishes
> Eysteinn Guðni Guðnason
> Filmmaker
> Independant Herbalife distributor
> Mobile: (+354) 822-3559
> www.steinninn.is

Re: Betawiki being hosted by Wikimedia?

Jon Harald Søby
I don't like that idea at all; there is no reason to decentralise the
localisation efforts because of something as trivial as permission
differences.

The idea of merging BetaWiki and Incubator is a great one, and should
be done ASAP.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by

Re: Betawiki being hosted by Wikimedia?

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
There are permission differences. The question is what are these differences
and if they are problematic, how can we solve them. Incubator is a place
where people do things that are decidedly different from how you do things
on a normal Wiki. It serves a completely different purpose. Like in BetaWiki
it is a place where people have to show that they can be trusted to start a
new project, a new language. Consequently there is no need to think in
standard Wiki security.

There are good reasons why you want to allow the editors of an incubator
project to start on the localisation. It gives instant gratification and, it
is part of what they have to achieve to get a new language accepted.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 9/1/07, Mohamed Magdy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason wrote:
> > This has been brought up before, and I'm taking it into my own hands
> > on pushing it forward. The idea is to start hosting Betawiki on a
> > Wikimedia site. On a new project or merge it into an excisting one
> > (Incubator?). I've put up a site for discussion. Please take a look
> > at it and consider it.
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Betawiki_being_hosted_by_Wikimedia
> >

> I think it is a good idea for the sustainability of the  project.
>
> I'm also with making  it on a separate wiki because people's permissions
> on betawiki are different from the incubator..and also may be let the
> betawiki run all the extensions to test its translations?

Re: Betawiki being hosted by Wikimedia?

Brion Vibber-3

Re: Betawiki being hosted by Wikimedia?

Platonides
Mohamed Magdy wrote:

> Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason wrote:
>> This has been brought up before, and I'm taking it into my own hands
>> on pushing it forward. The idea is to start hosting Betawiki on a
>> Wikimedia site. On a new project or merge it into an excisting one
>> (Incubator?). I've put up a site for discussion. Please take a look
>> at it and consider it.
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Betawiki_being_hosted_by_Wikimedia
>>

> I think it is a good idea for the sustainability of the  project.
>
> I'm also with making  it on a separate wiki because people's permissions
> on betawiki are different from the incubator..and also may be let the
> betawiki run all the extensions to test its translations?

Having it hosted by Wikimedia also means that it would have SUL :-)