Quantcast

BibTeX Result Format

Christian Willmes
Hello,

I try to model a bibliographic database using semantic media wiki. At
the moment I have a hard time to get query results in BibTeX format. For
example, all entries are of type Book in the returned .bib file, and I
don't have a clue on how to change that...

Is there anywhere a more detailed documetation about the BibTeX SRF then
here [1]?

A pointer to an other SMW implementing something similar would maybe
also help as an example to learn from.

Thank you very much and regards,

Christian

[1] http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:BibTeX_format

--
Christian Willmes (Public-Key ID: 0x2FA87ED4)
AG GIS & Fernerkundung      | GIS & RS Group

Re: BibTeX Result Format

James HK
Hi,

This might be of interest to you [1]. If you look at example [2], you
can see that the #ask query with "?Type of publication=type"
determines the "@.." type export.

PS: If you look at the code [3]/241, you can see that the @ export is
being influenced by the property label that is specified as "type".

PSS: If you think something is missing (explanation, examples etc.) on
[1], you might want to add those so others don't fall into the same
trap.

[1] http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Demo:Bibliographic_records

[2] http://semantic-mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Special:RunQuery&form=Query%2FScenario&target=&Query%2FScenario[scenario]=BibTeX&Query%2FScenario[lang]=en&wpRunQuery=true

[3] if ( $type ) $this->bibTeXtype = ucfirst( $type ); else
$this->bibTeXtype = 'Book';

Cheers

On 10/23/13, Christian Willmes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I try to model a bibliographic database using semantic media wiki. At
> the moment I have a hard time to get query results in BibTeX format. For
> example, all entries are of type Book in the returned .bib file, and I
> don't have a clue on how to change that...
>
> Is there anywhere a more detailed documetation about the BibTeX SRF then
> here [1]?
>
> A pointer to an other SMW implementing something similar would maybe
> also help as an example to learn from.
>
> Thank you very much and regards,
>
> Christian
>
> [1] http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:BibTeX_format
>
> --
> Christian Willmes (Public-Key ID: 0x2FA87ED4)
> AG GIS & Fernerkundung      | GIS & RS Group
> Geographisches Institut     | Institute of Geography
> Universität zu Köln         | University of Cologne
> Tel.: +49 (0)221 470 6234
> Fax.: +49 (0)221 470 2280
> http://www.geographie.uni-koeln.de/willmes-christian.695.en.html
> http://www.sfb806.de
> http://crc806db.uni-koeln.de
> http://cwillmes.de

Re: BibTeX Result Format

Christian Willmes
Hi,

thanks for the helpfull pointers.

...I got my head around this, and blogged about how to implement a
bibliographic database using SMW:

http://cwillmes.de/blog/2013/10/29/modelling-bibliographic-records-in-semantic-mediawiki-using-bibtex-schema-and-result-format/

Cheers,
Christian

Am 23.10.2013 18:07, schrieb James HK:

> Hi,
>
> This might be of interest to you [1]. If you look at example [2], you
> can see that the #ask query with "?Type of publication=type"
> determines the "@.." type export.
>
> PS: If you look at the code [3]/241, you can see that the @ export is
> being influenced by the property label that is specified as "type".
>
> PSS: If you think something is missing (explanation, examples etc.) on
> [1], you might want to add those so others don't fall into the same
> trap.
>
> [1] http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Demo:Bibliographic_records
>
> [2] http://semantic-mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Special:RunQuery&form=Query%2FScenario&target=&Query%2FScenario[scenario]=BibTeX&Query%2FScenario[lang]=en&wpRunQuery=true
>
> [3] if ( $type ) $this->bibTeXtype = ucfirst( $type ); else
> $this->bibTeXtype = 'Book';
>
> Cheers
>
> On 10/23/13, Christian Willmes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I try to model a bibliographic database using semantic media wiki. At
>> the moment I have a hard time to get query results in BibTeX format. For
>> example, all entries are of type Book in the returned .bib file, and I
>> don't have a clue on how to change that...
>>
>> Is there anywhere a more detailed documetation about the BibTeX SRF then
>> here [1]?
>>
>> A pointer to an other SMW implementing something similar would maybe
>> also help as an example to learn from.
>>
>> Thank you very much and regards,
>>
>> Christian
>>
>> [1] http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:BibTeX_format
>>
>> --
>> Christian Willmes (Public-Key ID: 0x2FA87ED4)
>> AG GIS & Fernerkundung      | GIS & RS Group
>> Geographisches Institut     | Institute of Geography
>> Universität zu Köln         | University of Cologne
>> Tel.: +49 (0)221 470 6234
>> Fax.: +49 (0)221 470 2280
>> http://www.geographie.uni-koeln.de/willmes-christian.695.en.html
>> http://www.sfb806.de
>> http://crc806db.uni-koeln.de
>> http://cwillmes.de

Christian Willmes (Public-Key ID: 0x2FA87ED4)
AG GIS & Fernerkundung      | GIS & RS Group
Geographisches Institut     | Institute of Geography
Universität zu Köln         | University of Cologne
Tel.: +49 (0)221 470 6234
Fax.: +49 (0)221 470 2280
http://www.geographie.uni-koeln.de/willmes-christian.695.en.html
http://www.sfb806.de
http://crc806db.uni-koeln.de
http://cwillmes.de

Re: BibTeX Result Format

girlwithglasses
This is very interesting work! I have just been working on (extending) a MW extension that hooks into the existing Cite extension and retrieves citation data from PubMed or CrossRef when given a PMID or a DOI. If you specify a reference in the wiki text in the form <ref name=DOI:10/1000/blahblahblah />, the Cite extension automatically creates 'References' section at the bottom of the page, and the extension fills in the full citation.

The citation data is returned in a data structure that you can then format using a template; e.g.

{{Publication
|Title=
|Author=
|Journal=
|Year=
|DOI=
|PMID=
}}

In this case, the Publication template also sets some of these fields as semantic data, e.g. Has title={{{Title}}}, Date of publication={{{Year}}}. I'm still bug-fixing and beta-testing, but you can see this in action here:

Page with a small bibliography (this is a dev server so there are various "experiments" on that page - go to the Publications section and then scroll to the "References" at the bottom of the page)

Publication template (the data structure I used is based on the 'hcite' microformat)

I've also integrated ImpactStory (http://impactstory.org) altmetrics into the citations where available -- see this bibliography to see them in action.

Once I've ironed out the bugs, I'll commit this work to my github repo. It seems as though there should be a way to hook up these two extensions -- or at least to automatically pull DOI citation data from the CrossRef server to populate the forms in your wiki.

Cheers!
Amelia.