Bigger or Better

Marc Riddell
Interesting statement by Jim Skinner, CEO of McDonald's on CNN today. He
said one of the biggest reasons McDonald's is doing so well during the
recent economic slowdown is their change of focus from being bigger, to
being better.

Just a thought.

Marc

Re: Bigger or Better

Jon-146

Re: Bigger or Better

Marc Riddell

on 7/26/08 2:14 PM, Jon at [hidden email] wrote:

> In reference to what article?

In reference to the entire Project.

Marc

Re: Bigger or Better

Jon-146

Re: Bigger or Better

gamaliel8
On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Marc Riddell
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Interesting statement by Jim Skinner, CEO of McDonald's on CNN today. He
> said one of the biggest reasons McDonald's is doing so well during the
> recent economic slowdown is their change of focus from being bigger, to
> being better.

So what's better about McDonald's now?

Re: Bigger or Better

Mathias Schindler-2
On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 9:46 PM, Rob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So what's better about McDonald's now?

They introduced more salad (that would be our Single User Login) and
the Kid's Menu has now an easy coding system for the amount of fat and
salt at the side of the box (that would be our board reshuffling).

To make the comparison even more perfect, have a very close look at
the new Ronald McDonald impersonator. :)

Re: Bigger or Better

Kurt Maxwell Weber
On Saturday 26 July 2008 13:25, Marc Riddell wrote:

> > Marc Riddell wrote:
> >> Interesting statement by Jim Skinner, CEO of McDonald's on CNN today. He
> >> said one of the biggest reasons McDonald's is doing so well during the
> >> recent economic slowdown is their change of focus from being bigger, to
> >> being better.
> >>
> >> Just a thought.
> >>
> >> Marc
>
> on 7/26/08 2:14 PM, Jon at [hidden email] wrote:
> > In reference to what article?
>
> In reference to the entire Project.
>
> Marc

Except here, bigger IS better.

More information is superior to less information.

So where's the relevance here?

--
Kurt Weber
<[hidden email]>

Re: Bigger or Better

Marc Riddell
on 7/26/08 2:46 PM, Rob at [hidden email] wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Marc Riddell
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Interesting statement by Jim Skinner, CEO of McDonald's on CNN today. He
>> said one of the biggest reasons McDonald's is doing so well during the
>> recent economic slowdown is their change of focus from being bigger, to
>> being better.
>
> So what's better about McDonald's now?

For one thing (and what's important in their world) their bottom line has
stayed strong - even grown - where others are struggling. And, thanks to
some new leadership in that direction, they are placing more emphasis on the
quality of their workplace environment. Starbucks is another example of
another company rethinking its philosophy.

Bottom line? If you want a customer to return, you give them a quality
product. If you want a good employee to stay, you give them a quality
workplace.

Marc

Re: Bigger or Better

Alex Sawczynec
On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Marc Riddell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> on 7/26/08 2:46 PM, Rob at [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Marc Riddell
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Interesting statement by Jim Skinner, CEO of McDonald's on CNN today. He
> >> said one of the biggest reasons McDonald's is doing so well during the
> >> recent economic slowdown is their change of focus from being bigger, to
> >> being better.
> >
> > So what's better about McDonald's now?
> >
> For one thing (and what's important in their world) their bottom line has
> stayed strong - even grown - where others are struggling. And, thanks to
> some new leadership in that direction, they are placing more emphasis on
> the
> quality of their workplace environment. Starbucks is another example of
> another company rethinking its philosophy.
>
> Bottom line? If you want a customer to return, you give them a quality
> product. If you want a good employee to stay, you give them a quality
> workplace.
>
> Marc
>  <https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l>

Would this explain why so many users are retiring?

- GlassCobra

Re: Bigger or Better

James Farrar
2008/7/26 Marc Riddell <[hidden email]>

> Bottom line? If you want a customer to return, you give them a quality
> product. If you want a good employee to stay, you give them a quality
> workplace.

Which includes the knowledge that their work is valued, not subject to
arbitrary destruction.

Re: Bigger or Better

Marc Riddell

on 7/27/08 12:50 AM, Alex Sawczynec at [hidden email] wrote:

> Would this explain why so many users are retiring?

Sounds like a good explanation to me, Alex. Even the most loyal employee
still has a pride in themselves and in their work. In an unhealthy, abusive
work environment it is only a matter of time before they do the healthy
thing and leave. There are, or will be, other places to work that will not
regard them as merely expendable.

Marc

Re: Bigger or Better

geni
2008/7/27 Marc Riddell <[hidden email]>:

> On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Marc Riddell <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>>
>>> For one thing (and what's important in their world) their bottom line has
>>> stayed strong - even grown - where others are struggling. And, thanks to
>>> some new leadership in that direction, they are placing more emphasis on
>>> the
>>> quality of their workplace environment. Starbucks is another example of
>>> another company rethinking its philosophy.
>>>
>>> Bottom line? If you want a customer to return, you give them a quality
>>> product. If you want a good employee to stay, you give them a quality
>>> workplace.
>>>
>>> Marc
>
> on 7/27/08 12:50 AM, Alex Sawczynec at [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Would this explain why so many users are retiring?
>>
> Sounds like a good explanation to me, Alex. Even the most loyal employee
> still has a pride in themselves and in their work. In an unhealthy, abusive
> work environment it is only a matter of time before they do the healthy
> thing and leave. There are, or will be, other places to work that will not
> regard them as merely expendable.
>
> Marc

Nah standard MMOPRG turnover and people just generally moving on
explains most of the turnover.

--
geni

Re: Bigger or Better

Andrew Gray
2008/7/26 Marc Riddell <[hidden email]>:

> Bottom line? If you want a customer to return, you give them a quality
> product. If you want a good employee to stay, you give them a quality
> workplace.

Excellent. Assuming the corollary works, this suggests we can get rid
of a lot of our problem users by cunningly increasing our use of
<blink> and <marquee> tags in some kind of specifically-targeted
CSS...

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Bigger or Better

Anthony-73
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Bottom line? If you want a customer to return, you give them a quality
> product. If you want a good employee to stay, you give them a quality
> workplace.

Ever since I've heard it, I've always been a fan of the Wegman's
philosophy of "employees first, customers second".  Keeping the
analogy to Wikipedia, I'd say this is one area Wikipedia is lacking.
Some people even have suggested that people don't matter, only the end
product matters (unfortunately I can't find the quote).

Anyway, I don't think you'll find much of an argument that quality is
of higher importance than quantity.  It's in the details of how to
implement that philosophy where the disputes occur.  In fact, I was
just writing about one such dispute earlier today:
http://blog.p2pedia.org/2008/07/barrapunto-or-how-i-learned-to-stop.html

Re: Bigger or Better

Bryan Derksen
Alex Sawczynec wrote:
> Would this explain why so many users are retiring?

I, for one, have found myself not editing nearly as much as I used to in
recent months. I'm pretty sure that dropoff started for me with the
Characters and Episodes debacle. Even though I don't generally
contribute to such articles myself seeing so much work being
systematically thrown away was very disheartening and makes me wonder
whether my contributions in other areas will be kept.

Quantity is a quality of its own, IMO. Wikipedia's comprehensiveness of
coverage is one of its big strengths.

Re: Bigger or Better

Luna-4
On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Marc Riddell
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Bottom line? If you want a customer to return, you give them a quality
> product. If you want a good employee to stay, you give them a quality
> workplace.

Indeed. Though important to remember the context we'd be approaching
this from: volunteer efforts frequently have high turnover, and online
communities especially so.

Not to say we shouldn't worry about such things. More than a few
people have told me they tried editing Wikipedia, got flamed for it,
and left. Hard to say whether they ran into a legitimate troll or a
harsh wall of policies, instead of a welcome mat, of course, but
obviously something didn't quite work out right.

-Luna

Re: Bigger or Better

Michel Vuijlsteke-2
Characters and episodes? Ha! That was nothing! We're coming for your bridges
next!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Turner_Falls_Road_Bridge

:)

Michel Vuijlsteke

2008/7/27 Bryan Derksen <[hidden email]>

> Alex Sawczynec wrote:
>
>> Would this explain why so many users are retiring?
>>

> I, for one, have found myself not editing nearly as much as I used to in
> recent months. I'm pretty sure that dropoff started for me with the
> Characters and Episodes debacle. Even though I don't generally contribute to
> such articles myself seeing so much work being systematically thrown away
> was very disheartening and makes me wonder whether my contributions in other
> areas will be kept.
>
> Quantity is a quality of its own, IMO. Wikipedia's comprehensiveness of
> coverage is one of its big strengths.

Re: Bigger or Better

Matthew Brown-5
On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Michel Vuijlsteke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Characters and episodes? Ha! That was nothing! We're coming for your bridges
> next!

That's pretty fucking ridiculous.

Makes me pretty spitting mad, in fact.

-Matt

Re: Bigger or Better

James Farrar
2008/7/27 Matthew Brown <[hidden email]>:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Michel Vuijlsteke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Characters and episodes? Ha! That was nothing! We're coming for your bridges
>> next!
>
> That's pretty fucking ridiculous.
>
> Makes me pretty spitting mad, in fact.

People deleting per guideline, rather than policy, makes me mad.

Re: Bigger or Better

Jonathan Hughes-4

> From: "Michel Vuijlsteke" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Bigger or Better
>
> Characters and episodes? Ha! That was nothing! We're coming for your
> bridges
> next!
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Turner_Falls_Road_Bridge
>
> :)

Likely to be overturned at DRV very soon, just an FYI.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deletion_review/Log/2008_July_25#Turners_Falls_Road_Bridge
.

[[User:Lifebaka]]