Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
When api.php was basically the only API in MediaWiki, calling it "the API"
worked well. But now we've got a Parsoid API, Gabriel's work on a REST
content API, Gabriel's work on an internal storage API, and more on the
way. So just saying "the API" is getting confusing.

So let's bikeshed a reasonably short name for it that isn't something awful
like "the api.php API". I'm horrible at naming.

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Software Engineer

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Bartosz Dziewoński
How about just "the MediaWiki API"? That's the only proper external API
core MediaWiki has, as far as I'm aware.

If anybody is planning to tack on something new, they should be the ones
thinking about what to name that thing ;)

--
Matma Rex

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Tim Starling-2
On 06/08/14 14:32, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) wrote:
> When api.php was basically the only API in MediaWiki, calling it "the
> API" worked well. But now we've got a Parsoid API, Gabriel's work on a
> REST content API, Gabriel's work on an internal storage API, and more
> on the way. So just saying "the API" is getting confusing.
>
> So let's bikeshed a reasonably short name for it that isn't something
> awful like "the api.php API". I'm horrible at naming.

How about "the action API"? The fact that it is organised in a
hierarchy of actions distinguishes it from REST, which is organised as
a hierarchy of objects. The term "action" also distinguishes it from RPC.

-- Tim Starling

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Tyler Romeo
Definitely agree with this. It’s the only API that is part of core, so “MediaWiki API” makes sense.
--
Tyler Romeo
0x405D34A7C86B42DF

From: Bartosz Dziewoński <[hidden email]>
Reply: Wikimedia developers <[hidden email]>>
Date: August 6, 2014 at 9:52:34
To: Wikimedia developers <[hidden email]>>
Subject:  Re: [Wikitech-l] Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

How about just "the MediaWiki API"? That's the only proper external API
core MediaWiki has, as far as I'm aware.

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Petr Bena
The Chosen One's API. In short: Tchopi :P

Do we really need to call it somehow? When you will say "api" 99% of
people who know mediawiki a bit will go for api.php. Special naming
should be used just for the other weird api's that nobody is ever
going to use anyway.

Btw, why do we need to have them in secondary php files / entry points?

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Tyler Romeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Definitely agree with this. It’s the only API that is part of core, so “MediaWiki API” makes sense.
> --
> Tyler Romeo
> 0x405D34A7C86B42DF
>
> From: Bartosz Dziewoński <[hidden email]>
> Reply: Wikimedia developers <[hidden email]>>
> Date: August 6, 2014 at 9:52:34
> To: Wikimedia developers <[hidden email]>>
> Subject:  Re: [Wikitech-l] Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"
>
> How about just "the MediaWiki API"? That's the only proper external API
> core MediaWiki has, as far as I'm aware.

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Yuri Astrakhan-2
API vs REST/CONTENT API? If we end up exposing rest API via the same entry
point, no reason of even calling it anything else. If we have a separate
entry point (why?), we could call it REST API or CONTENT API, specifying
that it is mostly for the rendered content as opposed to internal database
data.
On Aug 6, 2014 1:04 PM, "Petr Bena" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Chosen One's API. In short: Tchopi :P
>
> Do we really need to call it somehow? When you will say "api" 99% of
> people who know mediawiki a bit will go for api.php. Special naming
> should be used just for the other weird api's that nobody is ever
> going to use anyway.
>
> Btw, why do we need to have them in secondary php files / entry points?
>
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Tyler Romeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Definitely agree with this. It’s the only API that is part of core, so
> “MediaWiki API” makes sense.
> > --
> > Tyler Romeo
> > 0x405D34A7C86B42DF
> >
> > From: Bartosz Dziewoński <[hidden email]>
> > Reply: Wikimedia developers <[hidden email]>>
> > Date: August 6, 2014 at 9:52:34
> > To: Wikimedia developers <[hidden email]>>
> > Subject:  Re: [Wikitech-l] Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"
> >
> > How about just "the MediaWiki API"? That's the only proper external API
> > core MediaWiki has, as far as I'm aware.

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

James Forrester-2
On 6 August 2014 14:53, Tim Starling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/08/14 14:32, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) wrote:
> > When api.php was basically the only API in MediaWiki, calling it "the
> > API" worked well. But now we've got a Parsoid API, Gabriel's work on a
> > REST content API, Gabriel's work on an internal storage API, and more
> > on the way. So just saying "the API" is getting confusing.
> >
> > So let's bikeshed a reasonably short name for it that isn't something
> > awful like "the api.php API". I'm horrible at naming.
>
> How about "the action API"? The fact that it is organised in a
> hierarchy of actions distinguishes it from REST, which is organised as
> a hierarchy of objects. The term "action" also distinguishes it from RPC.

[Relaying conversations at Wikimania.]

Yes, this is sensible. Let's certainly not call it "the MediaWiki API"
given how many are planned.

J.
--
James D. Forrester
[hidden email]

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

MZMcBride-2

For what it's worth, <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Main_page>
uses "Web API", as does <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_contribute>.

Tim Starling wrote:
>How about "the action API"? The fact that it is organised in a
>hierarchy of actions distinguishes it from REST, which is organised as
>a hierarchy of objects. The term "action" also distinguishes it from RPC.

A quick count at <https://www.mediawiki.org/w/api.php> says that there are
currently 52 &list=foo entries and 83 &action=foo entries. While these
numbers are inflated due to installed extensions, I'm hesitant to present
the MediaWiki Web API as an action API. Though you could perhaps argue
that listing is just another action.

I tend to agree with the view of others in this thread that simply saying
"the [{MediaWiki (core), Web}] API" is usually sufficiently clear.

MZMcBride

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Daniel Friesen-2
On 2014-08-06, 6:37 PM, MZMcBride wrote:
> Tim Starling wrote:
>> How about "the action API"? The fact that it is organised in a
>> hierarchy of actions distinguishes it from REST, which is organised as
>> a hierarchy of objects. The term "action" also distinguishes it from RPC.
> A quick count at <https://www.mediawiki.org/w/api.php> says that there are
> currently 52 &list=foo entries and 83 &action=foo entries. While these
> numbers are inflated due to installed extensions, I'm hesitant to present
> the MediaWiki Web API as an action API. Though you could perhaps argue
> that listing is just another action.
;) ?action=query&list=*
Technically speaking, listing *is* an action.

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

David Gerard-2
Call it "Bob". "Bob" is always a good name.

- d.

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Pine W
We could name it in honor of Jimbo. ;)
On Aug 7, 2014 1:18 AM, "David Gerard" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Call it "Bob". "Bob" is always a good name.
>

> - d.

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Brandon Harris-4

        something something Unicorn.

On Aug 6, 2014, at 2:32 PM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When api.php was basically the only API in MediaWiki, calling it "the API"
> worked well. But now we've got a Parsoid API, Gabriel's work on a REST
> content API, Gabriel's work on an internal storage API, and more on the
> way. So just saying "the API" is getting confusing.
>
> So let's bikeshed a reasonably short name for it that isn't something awful
> like "the api.php API". I'm horrible at naming.
>

> --
> Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
> Software Engineer
> Wikimedia Foundation

---
Brandon Harris, Senior Designer, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Amir Sarabadani-2
UnicornPI (unicorn-pie) sounds good to me ;)

On 8/7/14, Brandon Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> something something Unicorn.
>

> On Aug 6, 2014, at 2:32 PM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> When api.php was basically the only API in MediaWiki, calling it "the API"
>> worked well. But now we've got a Parsoid API, Gabriel's work on a REST
>> content API, Gabriel's work on an internal storage API, and more on the
>> way. So just saying "the API" is getting confusing.
>>
>> So let's bikeshed a reasonably short name for it that isn't something
>> awful
>> like "the api.php API". I'm horrible at naming.
>>

>> --
>> Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
>> Software Engineer
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> ---
> Brandon Harris, Senior Designer, Wikimedia Foundation

Amir

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Chad
Mmmm, Unicorn Pie.

Now I'm hungry.

-Chad

On 07/08/14 02:37, MZMcBride wrote:
> A quick count at <https://www.mediawiki.org/w/api.php> says that there are
> currently 52 &list=foo entries and 83 &action=foo entries. While these
> numbers are inflated due to installed extensions, I'm hesitant to present
> the MediaWiki Web API as an action API. Though you could perhaps argue
> that listing is just another action.

Like Daniel said, what you call "listing" is actually the query action.

> I tend to agree with the view of others in this thread that simply saying
> "the [{MediaWiki (core), Web}] API" is usually sufficiently clear.

Note that Nemo bis changed the name from "MediaWiki API" to "WebAPI"
on the basis of disambiguation, in this revision:

https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=API:Main_page&diff=644948&oldid=642646

I have previously suggested "web API" as a term to distinguish it from
the set of PHP classes and hooks used by extensions. API stands for
application programmer interface, and traditionally refers to
functions and classes -- using the term for a non-RPC HTTP interface
is really rather awkward.

Neither "MediaWiki API" nor "Web API" distinguishes it from the
proposed REST API. For someone using api.php every day, "the API" is
clear enough, but if you are a mobile developer using the REST API
every day, you need some other term to specify api.php.

-- Tim Starling

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

David Gerard-2
> but if you are a mobile developer using the REST API
every day, you need some other term to specify api.php.

Is "api.php" unsuitable for some reason?

- d

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 10:58 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > but if you are a mobile developer using the REST API
> every day, you need some other term to specify api.php.
>
> Is "api.php" unsuitable for some reason?

That itself is awkward to say, and to disambiguate between the actual file
and the API accessed via the file "the api.php API" is even worse. So I
started this thread to see if we could come up with something that isn't so
awkward.

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Brion Vibber-4
Well if we kill off XML and other funky formats we can call it "the JSON
API" :)

-- brion

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 11:00 AM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 10:58 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > but if you are a mobile developer using the REST API
> > every day, you need some other term to specify api.php.
> >
> > Is "api.php" unsuitable for some reason?
> >

> That itself is awkward to say, and to disambiguate between the actual file
> and the API accessed via the file "the api.php API" is even worse. So I
> started this thread to see if we could come up with something that isn't so
> awkward.

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

James Forrester-4
On 7 August 2014 11:23, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well if we kill off XML and other funky formats we can call it "the JSON
> API" :)

​Except the other APIs will likely use JSON too, AIUI… :-)​

​J.​
--
James D. Forrester
Product Manager, Editing

[hidden email] | @jdforrester

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Erik Moeller-4
On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 10:15 PM, James Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, this is sensible. Let's certainly not call it "the MediaWiki API"
> given how many are planned.

"Core" seems a reasonable qualifier, though, no? Seems like the
content API and a lot of other proposed interfaces are by definition
outside the core. So why not MW core API or just core API for short?

--
Erik Möller