Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
39 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Amir Sarabadani-2
Core API can be misleading since people may think other APIs are based
on MW's API (i.e. It's core of other APIs) even though It's true in
some cases but not necessarily for all.

Am I wrong?

Best

On 8/7/14, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 10:15 PM, James Forrester <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Yes, this is sensible. Let's certainly not call it "the MediaWiki API"
>> given how many are planned.
>
> "Core" seems a reasonable qualifier, though, no? Seems like the
> content API and a lot of other proposed interfaces are by definition
> outside the core. So why not MW core API or just core API for short?
>
> --
> Erik Möller
> VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


--
Amir

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Legoktm
In reply to this post by David Gerard-2
On 8/7/14, 10:58 AM, David Gerard wrote:
>> but if you are a mobile developer using the REST API
> every day, you need some other term to specify api.php.
>
> Is "api.php" unsuitable for some reason?

I like "api.php" too, given that we refer to the old one as "query.php".

-- Legoktm

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Tyler Romeo
On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 7:42 AM, Legoktm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like "api.php" too, given that we refer to the old one as "query.php".


We should just go back to query.php and get rid of api.php so we can avoid
all this confusion. /s

*-- *
*Tyler Romeo*
Stevens Institute of Technology, Class of 2016
Major in Computer Science
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Isarra Yos
In reply to this post by Pine W
I prefer Bob.

On 07/08/14 08:40, Pine W wrote:
> We could name it in honor of Jimbo. ;)
> On Aug 7, 2014 1:18 AM, "David Gerard" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Call it "Bob". "Bob" is always a good name.
>>
>>
>> - d.


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Quim Gil-2
In reply to this post by Legoktm
On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Legoktm <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> I like "api.php" too, given that we refer to the old one as "query.php".
>

You are in a keynote session at OSCON introducing... which API?

Please think on a name that is meaningful for the 3rd party developers out
there, not just for you. "api.php" alone won't work.

--
Quim Gil
Engineering Community Manager @ Wikimedia Foundation
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Jay Ashworth-2
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Quim Gil" <[hidden email]>

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Legoktm <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I like "api.php" too, given that we refer to the old one as
> > "query.php".
>
> You are in a keynote session at OSCON introducing... which API?
>
> Please think on a name that is meaningful for the 3rd party developers
> out there, not just for you. "api.php" alone won't work.

We aren't calling such things the "Classic API" these days?  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       [hidden email]
Designer                     The Things I Think                       RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates       http://www.bcp38.info          2000 Land Rover DII
St Petersburg FL USA      BCP38: Ask For It By Name!           +1 727 647 1274

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

S Page-3
In reply to this post by Erik Moeller-4
tl;dr: It already is "the MediaWiki web API".  A codename as well is fine.

Searching mediawiki.org, "web API" is almost as popular as "MediaWiki API",
and some of the uses are correctly for extension APIs and Parsoid's API.
So "the MediaWiki web API" is a descriptive name that requires minimal
changes.

That doesn't preclude us giving it a cool codename:
   The MediaWiki web API, codename "Unicorns Are Go", ...
    Bots use "Jimbo", the MediaWiki web API, to..
Another possibility is Starbright, an homage to Messrs. Starling and Brion,
and 80s Madonna.  Whatever we use should have awesome ASCII art in
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php

Some inline responses below.

Tim Starling wrote:

Note that Nemo bis changed the name from "MediaWiki API" to "WebAPI"
> on the basis of disambiguation, in this revision:
>
I don't like smash words, WebAPI already sounds dated, and Mozilla uses it
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/WebAPI> for advanced browser
features so developers might think it describes ResourceLoader modules like
mediaWiki.Api, mediaWiki.loader, etc.

https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=API

> :Main_page&diff=644948&oldid=642646
>
> I have previously suggested "web API" as a term to distinguish it from
> the set of PHP classes and hooks used by extensions. API stands for
> application programmer interface, and traditionally refers to
> functions and classes -- using the term for a non-RPC HTTP interface
> is really rather awkward.
>
> Neither "MediaWiki API" nor "Web API" distinguishes it from the
> proposed REST API.
>
Using "MediaWiki REST API" for the latter works.  Or cool codenames for
both.


On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 3:47 AM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Core" seems a reasonable qualifier, though, no? Seems like the
> content API and a lot of other proposed interfaces are by definition
> outside the core. So why not MW core API or just core API for short?
>

But extensions also provide this API.  api.php?action=echomarkread&all=true
<http://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/w/api.php?action=echomarkread&all=true>
isn't part of core but is the same MediaWiki web API.  Also see my
signature below :)
--
=S Page  Core features team (not MediaWiki core or platform) engineer
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Summing up, it seems like "action API" and "api.php" are the two contenders.

"api.php" is least likely to be confused with anything (only its own entry
point file). But as a name it's somewhat awkward.

"action API" might be confused with the Action class and its subclasses,
although that doesn't seem like a big deal.


As for the rest:

Just "API" is already causing confusion. Although it'll certainly continue
to be used in many contexts.

"MediaWiki API", "Web API", and "MediaWiki web API" are liable to be
confused with the proposed REST API, which is also supposed to be
web-accessible and will theoretically part of MediaWiki (even though I'd
guess it's probably going to be implemented as an -oid). "MediaWiki web
APIs" may well grow to encompass the api.php action API, the REST API, and
maybe even stuff like Parsoid.

"MediaWiki API" and "Core API" are liable to be confused with the various
hooks and PHP classes used by extensions.

"JSON API" wouldn't be accurate for well into the future, and would likely
be confused with other JSON-returning APIs such as Parsoid and maybe REST.

"Classic API" makes it sound like there's a full replacement.

All the code name suggestions would be making things less clear, not more.
If it had started out with a code name there would be historical inertia,
but using a code name now would just be silly.
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Mediawiki-api] Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Sumana Harihareswara-2
I like "action API".

Sumana Harihareswara
Senior Technical Writer
Wikimedia Foundation


On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Summing up, it seems like "action API" and "api.php" are the two
> contenders.
>
> "api.php" is least likely to be confused with anything (only its own entry
> point file). But as a name it's somewhat awkward.
>
> "action API" might be confused with the Action class and its subclasses,
> although that doesn't seem like a big deal.
>
>
> As for the rest:
>
> Just "API" is already causing confusion. Although it'll certainly continue
> to be used in many contexts.
>
> "MediaWiki API", "Web API", and "MediaWiki web API" are liable to be
> confused with the proposed REST API, which is also supposed to be
> web-accessible and will theoretically part of MediaWiki (even though I'd
> guess it's probably going to be implemented as an -oid). "MediaWiki web
> APIs" may well grow to encompass the api.php action API, the REST API, and
> maybe even stuff like Parsoid.
>
> "MediaWiki API" and "Core API" are liable to be confused with the various
> hooks and PHP classes used by extensions.
>
> "JSON API" wouldn't be accurate for well into the future, and would likely
> be confused with other JSON-returning APIs such as Parsoid and maybe REST.
>
> "Classic API" makes it sound like there's a full replacement.
>
> All the code name suggestions would be making things less clear, not more.
> If it had started out with a code name there would be historical inertia,
> but using a code name now would just be silly.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mediawiki-api mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-api
>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Mediawiki-api] Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Aaron Halfaker-3
As a heavy user, I generally just refer to the things api.php does as "the
API".  or "MediaWiki's web API" when I'm feeling verbose.

I'd be confused about the "action API" since I generally use it to "read"
which isn't really "action" -- even though it corresponds to "action=query"

As for "the proposed REST API", I don't think that proposed things should
affect the naming scheme of things we already know and love.

Also, I think that all bike sheds should match the color of the house to
(1) denote whose bike shed it is and (2) help tie the yard together like
furniture in a living room.


On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Sumana Harihareswara <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> I like "action API".
>
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Senior Technical Writer
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
>
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Summing up, it seems like "action API" and "api.php" are the two
> > contenders.
> >
> > "api.php" is least likely to be confused with anything (only its own
> entry
> > point file). But as a name it's somewhat awkward.
> >
> > "action API" might be confused with the Action class and its subclasses,
> > although that doesn't seem like a big deal.
> >
> >
> > As for the rest:
> >
> > Just "API" is already causing confusion. Although it'll certainly
> continue
> > to be used in many contexts.
> >
> > "MediaWiki API", "Web API", and "MediaWiki web API" are liable to be
> > confused with the proposed REST API, which is also supposed to be
> > web-accessible and will theoretically part of MediaWiki (even though I'd
> > guess it's probably going to be implemented as an -oid). "MediaWiki web
> > APIs" may well grow to encompass the api.php action API, the REST API,
> and
> > maybe even stuff like Parsoid.
> >
> > "MediaWiki API" and "Core API" are liable to be confused with the various
> > hooks and PHP classes used by extensions.
> >
> > "JSON API" wouldn't be accurate for well into the future, and would
> likely
> > be confused with other JSON-returning APIs such as Parsoid and maybe
> REST.
> >
> > "Classic API" makes it sound like there's a full replacement.
> >
> > All the code name suggestions would be making things less clear, not
> more.
> > If it had started out with a code name there would be historical inertia,
> > but using a code name now would just be silly.
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Mediawiki-api mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-api
> >
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Mediawiki-api] Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

C. Scott Ananian
I personally think "Action API" and "api.php" are both fine, and we
probably don't have to select a single winner between them.  Our
documentation can refer to the "Action API (accessed via a URL ending
in 'api.php')" and we can make #REDIRECTs as appropriate.
  --scott

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Mark Holmquist-2
In reply to this post by Brion Vibber-4
On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 11:23:26AM +0100, Brion Vibber wrote:
> Well if we kill off XML and other funky formats we can call it "the JSON
> API" :)

Actually, we should call it the YAML API, to be more complete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?format=yamlfm

--
Mark Holmquist
Software Engineer, Multimedia
Wikimedia Foundation
[hidden email]
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:MHolmquist

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

signature.asc (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Mediawiki-api] Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Tyler Romeo
In reply to this post by Aaron Halfaker-3
Agreed with Aaron. When these proposed additional APIs are actually implemented, then we can start arguing about what to call them.

I know that I personally will continue to call the API the “core web API” or sometimes just the “web API”, if it is clear based on the context in which I am talking.
-- 
Tyler Romeo
0x405D34A7C86B42DF

From: Aaron Halfaker <[hidden email]>
Reply: Wikimedia developers <[hidden email]>>
Date: August 15, 2014 at 11:05:13
To: Wikimedia developers <[hidden email]>>
Cc: MediaWiki API announcements & discussion <[hidden email]>>
Subject:  Re: [Wikitech-l] [Mediawiki-api] Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"  

As a heavy user, I generally just refer to the things api.php does as "the
API". or "MediaWiki's web API" when I'm feeling verbose.

I'd be confused about the "action API" since I generally use it to "read"
which isn't really "action" -- even though it corresponds to "action=query"

As for "the proposed REST API", I don't think that proposed things should
affect the naming scheme of things we already know and love.

Also, I think that all bike sheds should match the color of the house to
(1) denote whose bike shed it is and (2) help tie the yard together like
furniture in a living room.


On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Sumana Harihareswara <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> I like "action API".
>
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Senior Technical Writer
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
>
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Summing up, it seems like "action API" and "api.php" are the two
> > contenders.
> >
> > "api.php" is least likely to be confused with anything (only its own
> entry
> > point file). But as a name it's somewhat awkward.
> >
> > "action API" might be confused with the Action class and its subclasses,
> > although that doesn't seem like a big deal.
> >
> >
> > As for the rest:
> >
> > Just "API" is already causing confusion. Although it'll certainly
> continue
> > to be used in many contexts.
> >
> > "MediaWiki API", "Web API", and "MediaWiki web API" are liable to be
> > confused with the proposed REST API, which is also supposed to be
> > web-accessible and will theoretically part of MediaWiki (even though I'd
> > guess it's probably going to be implemented as an -oid). "MediaWiki web
> > APIs" may well grow to encompass the api.php action API, the REST API,
> and
> > maybe even stuff like Parsoid.
> >
> > "MediaWiki API" and "Core API" are liable to be confused with the various
> > hooks and PHP classes used by extensions.
> >
> > "JSON API" wouldn't be accurate for well into the future, and would
> likely
> > be confused with other JSON-returning APIs such as Parsoid and maybe
> REST.
> >
> > "Classic API" makes it sound like there's a full replacement.
> >
> > All the code name suggestions would be making things less clear, not
> more.
> > If it had started out with a code name there would be historical inertia,
> > but using a code name now would just be silly.
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Mediawiki-api mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-api
> >
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Mediawiki-api] Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

S Page-3
tl;dr: "PHP action API"

I'm organizing content in the mediawiki.org API namespace,
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T105133 , and so back to this bikeshed
from August 2014.

We do now have the extra APIs. https://en.wikipedia.org/api/ names them
  *  PHP action API
  *  REST content API

I don't know who came up with the first name. I like it, it straddles Brad
Jorsch's
> seems like "action API" and "api.php" are the two contenders.

I'm changing the API navigation accordingly,
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:API but the shed isn't going
anywhere :)

FWIW in writing documentation, I've found "the core API" is misleading
because extensions add API modules to it. Is Wikidata part of "the core
API" when only one wiki implements all its wbXXX modules? A lot of API
clients rely on the extracts and pageimages modules, but they're not part
of core.

Cheers,

>>>> it was twelve months ago... >>>>

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Tyler Romeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Agreed with Aaron. When these proposed additional APIs are actually
> implemented, then we can start arguing about what to call them.
>
> I know that I personally will continue to call the API the “core web API”
> or sometimes just the “web API”, if it is clear based on the context in
> which I am talking.
> --
> Tyler Romeo
> 0x405D34A7C86B42DF
>
> From: Aaron Halfaker <[hidden email]>
> Cc: MediaWiki API announcements & discussion <
> [hidden email]>>
> Subject:  Re: [Wikitech-l] [Mediawiki-api] Bikeshedding a good name for
> "the api.php API"
>
> As a heavy user, I generally just refer to the things api.php does as "the
> API". or "MediaWiki's web API" when I'm feeling verbose.
>
> I'd be confused about the "action API" since I generally use it to "read"
> which isn't really "action" -- even though it corresponds to "action=query"
>
> As for "the proposed REST API", I don't think that proposed things should
> affect the naming scheme of things we already know and love.
>
> Also, I think that all bike sheds should match the color of the house to
> (1) denote whose bike shed it is and (2) help tie the yard together like
> furniture in a living room.
>
>
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Sumana Harihareswara <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > I like "action API".
> >
> > Sumana Harihareswara
> > Senior Technical Writer
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> >
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <
> > [hidden email]
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Summing up, it seems like "action API" and "api.php" are the two
> > > contenders.
> > >
> > > "api.php" is least likely to be confused with anything (only its own
> > entry
> > > point file). But as a name it's somewhat awkward.
> > >
> > > "action API" might be confused with the Action class and its
> subclasses,
> > > although that doesn't seem like a big deal.
> > >
> > >
> > > As for the rest:
> > >
> > > Just "API" is already causing confusion. Although it'll certainly
> > continue
> > > to be used in many contexts.
> > >
> > > "MediaWiki API", "Web API", and "MediaWiki web API" are liable to be
> > > confused with the proposed REST API, which is also supposed to be
> > > web-accessible and will theoretically part of MediaWiki (even though
> I'd
> > > guess it's probably going to be implemented as an -oid). "MediaWiki web
> > > APIs" may well grow to encompass the api.php action API, the REST API,
> > and
> > > maybe even stuff like Parsoid.
> > >
> > > "MediaWiki API" and "Core API" are liable to be confused with the
> various
> > > hooks and PHP classes used by extensions.
> > >
> > > "JSON API" wouldn't be accurate for well into the future, and would
> > likely
> > > be confused with other JSON-returning APIs such as Parsoid and maybe
> > REST.
> > >
> > > "Classic API" makes it sound like there's a full replacement.
> > >
> > > All the code name suggestions would be making things less clear, not
> > more.
> > > If it had started out with a code name there would be historical
> inertia,
> > > but using a code name now would just be silly.
>

--
=S Page  WMF Tech writer
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Mediawiki-api] Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Ricordisamoa
Since the current REST API is available under "v1", my take is "the v0
API" :-)

Il 10/08/2015 08:52, S Page ha scritto:

> tl;dr: "PHP action API"
>
> I'm organizing content in the mediawiki.org API namespace,
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T105133 , and so back to this bikeshed
> from August 2014.
>
> We do now have the extra APIs. https://en.wikipedia.org/api/ names them
>    *  PHP action API
>    *  REST content API
>
> I don't know who came up with the first name. I like it, it straddles Brad
> Jorsch's
>> seems like "action API" and "api.php" are the two contenders.
> I'm changing the API navigation accordingly,
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:API but the shed isn't going
> anywhere :)
>
> FWIW in writing documentation, I've found "the core API" is misleading
> because extensions add API modules to it. Is Wikidata part of "the core
> API" when only one wiki implements all its wbXXX modules? A lot of API
> clients rely on the extracts and pageimages modules, but they're not part
> of core.
>
> Cheers,
>
>>>>> it was twelve months ago... >>>>
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Tyler Romeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Agreed with Aaron. When these proposed additional APIs are actually
>> implemented, then we can start arguing about what to call them.
>>
>> I know that I personally will continue to call the API the “core web API”
>> or sometimes just the “web API”, if it is clear based on the context in
>> which I am talking.
>> --
>> Tyler Romeo
>> 0x405D34A7C86B42DF
>>
>> From: Aaron Halfaker <[hidden email]>
>> Cc: MediaWiki API announcements & discussion <
>> [hidden email]>>
>> Subject:  Re: [Wikitech-l] [Mediawiki-api] Bikeshedding a good name for
>> "the api.php API"
>>
>> As a heavy user, I generally just refer to the things api.php does as "the
>> API". or "MediaWiki's web API" when I'm feeling verbose.
>>
>> I'd be confused about the "action API" since I generally use it to "read"
>> which isn't really "action" -- even though it corresponds to "action=query"
>>
>> As for "the proposed REST API", I don't think that proposed things should
>> affect the naming scheme of things we already know and love.
>>
>> Also, I think that all bike sheds should match the color of the house to
>> (1) denote whose bike shed it is and (2) help tie the yard together like
>> furniture in a living room.
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Sumana Harihareswara <
>> [hidden email]
>>> wrote:
>>> I like "action API".
>>>
>>> Sumana Harihareswara
>>> Senior Technical Writer
>>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>>
>>>
>>> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <
>>> [hidden email]
>>>> wrote:
>>>> Summing up, it seems like "action API" and "api.php" are the two
>>>> contenders.
>>>>
>>>> "api.php" is least likely to be confused with anything (only its own
>>> entry
>>>> point file). But as a name it's somewhat awkward.
>>>>
>>>> "action API" might be confused with the Action class and its
>> subclasses,
>>>> although that doesn't seem like a big deal.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> As for the rest:
>>>>
>>>> Just "API" is already causing confusion. Although it'll certainly
>>> continue
>>>> to be used in many contexts.
>>>>
>>>> "MediaWiki API", "Web API", and "MediaWiki web API" are liable to be
>>>> confused with the proposed REST API, which is also supposed to be
>>>> web-accessible and will theoretically part of MediaWiki (even though
>> I'd
>>>> guess it's probably going to be implemented as an -oid). "MediaWiki web
>>>> APIs" may well grow to encompass the api.php action API, the REST API,
>>> and
>>>> maybe even stuff like Parsoid.
>>>>
>>>> "MediaWiki API" and "Core API" are liable to be confused with the
>> various
>>>> hooks and PHP classes used by extensions.
>>>>
>>>> "JSON API" wouldn't be accurate for well into the future, and would
>>> likely
>>>> be confused with other JSON-returning APIs such as Parsoid and maybe
>>> REST.
>>>> "Classic API" makes it sound like there's a full replacement.
>>>>
>>>> All the code name suggestions would be making things less clear, not
>>> more.
>>>> If it had started out with a code name there would be historical
>> inertia,
>>>> but using a code name now would just be silly.


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Mediawiki-api] Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 7:13 PM, Ricordisamoa <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Since the current REST API is available under "v1", my take is "the v0
> API" :-)


That name sucks because it implies that the REST API is supposed to replace
it.

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer
Wikimedia Foundation
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Mediawiki-api] Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Vi to
I support Bob or leaving it as it currently is, with time we will simply
start using "mediawiki" or "core api" more and more often.

Vito

2015-08-11 15:24 GMT+02:00 Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 7:13 PM, Ricordisamoa <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Since the current REST API is available under "v1", my take is "the v0
> > API" :-)
>
>
> That name sucks because it implies that the REST API is supposed to replace
> it.
>
> --
> Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
> Senior Software Engineer
> Wikimedia Foundation
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Mediawiki-api] Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Magnus Manske-2
In reply to this post by Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
No, no, old tech that needs to keep running is called "classic"! ;-)

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 2:24 PM Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 7:13 PM, Ricordisamoa <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Since the current REST API is available under "v1", my take is "the v0
> > API" :-)
>
>
> That name sucks because it implies that the REST API is supposed to replace
> it.
>
> --
> Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
> Senior Software Engineer
> Wikimedia Foundation
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Mediawiki-api] Bikeshedding a good name for "the api.php API"

Gabriel Wicke-3
In reply to this post by Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Last night I tweaked the listing at https://en.wikipedia.org/api/ to read:

* Action API, providing rich queries, editing and content access.
* REST API v1, mainly focused on high-volume content access.

The "PHP" prefix seemed to confuse some, thinking that it was a
PHP-specific API.

Another suggestion was to call it "MediaWiki Action API", in the hope of
getting better name recognition. However, both APIs have a claim to be
MediaWiki APIs in the wider sense, so this distinction might only be
meaningful in the short term.

Gabriel

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 6:24 AM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 7:13 PM, Ricordisamoa <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Since the current REST API is available under "v1", my take is "the v0
> > API" :-)
>
>
> That name sucks because it implies that the REST API is supposed to replace
> it.
>
> --
> Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
> Senior Software Engineer
> Wikimedia Foundation
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>



--
Gabriel Wicke
Principal Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
12