Blacklisted?

Robert Crowe-2

It looks to me like I was blacklisted for EN Wikipedia API requests.  My website has been using the API for awhile now, but suddenly I'm getting 403 errors coming back.  I've tried to follow all the rules, but if I've missed something I'm happy to make changes.  What disturbs me most is that there was no attempt to contact me before being blacklisted to let me know there was a problem.  Where should I go to find out what the problem is?

Thanks,

Robert

OQ

Re: Blacklisted?

OQ
Did your useragent have contact details in it?

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Robert Crowe <[hidden email]> wrote:

It looks to me like I was blacklisted for EN Wikipedia API requests.  My website has been using the API for awhile now, but suddenly I'm getting 403 errors coming back.  I've tried to follow all the rules, but if I've missed something I'm happy to make changes.  What disturbs me most is that there was no attempt to contact me before being blacklisted to let me know there was a problem.  Where should I go to find out what the problem is?

Thanks,

Robert

Re: Blacklisted?

Robert Crowe-2

Yes, it has the website information in the user agent.  It didn't have an email address, which the docs say is optional, but my website has a contact form and I read every message sent from it.  I tried adding my email address anyway, but that didn't help.

Thanks,

Robert

Re: Blacklisted?

Roan Kattouw-2
There was an API outage yesterday (Sunday July 14th) between roughly
12:00 and 14:00 UTC (5am-7am Pacific Time). As part of our
firefighting we blocked the IPs that were hitting the API the hardest
at the time. We didn't have time to do outreach because things were on
fire and falling over; I'm very sorry about that. We also should have
unblocked these IPs after the outage was over, but forgot (I was
mostly just trying to get things back up then go back to sleep).

For privacy reasons we can't disclose the IPs we blocked on Sunday. We
unblocked them just now, though, so if your bots are now working again
that would be it :)

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience and lack of follow-up. We
generally try to contact people, but when things are as bad as they
were yesterday we have to act quickly.

Roan

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Alex Monk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sending to wikitech-l instead, mediawiki-api is just for the MediaWiki API
> itself, not Wikimedia server stuff.
>
> Alex Monk
>
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM, Robert Crowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It looks to me like I was blacklisted for EN Wikipedia API requests.  My
>> website has been using the API for awhile now, but suddenly I'm getting 403
>> errors coming back.  I've tried to follow all the rules, but if I've missed
>> something I'm happy to make changes.  What disturbs me most is that there
>> was no attempt to contact me before being blacklisted to let me know there
>> was a problem.  Where should I go to find out what the problem is?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Robert

Re: Blacklisted?

Robert Crowe-2
That's completely understandable.  I'm just glad to hear that it was nothing
personal!  I can confirm that my website is back up, or it will as soon as
the cache finishes invalidating.  Thanks for fighting that fire Roan, I'm
sure it took a lot of hard work to get things back.

Thanks,

Robert