Blocking Wikipedia by Country in 2016

Thomas Stieve
Hello all,

Hope all is well. Does anyone have or know where I can obtain information
about the official blocking of Wikipedia by the government per country
worldwide in Oct - Dec 2016? I am geolocating IP addresses globally in that
time period and need to know where the government forbade this activity.

Thank you for any help,
Tom

--
Thomas Stieve
Ph.D. Candidate

Re: Blocking Wikipedia by Country in 2016

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Thomas Stieve, 13/07/20 01:47:
> Does anyone have or know where I can obtain information
> about the official blocking of Wikipedia by the government per country
> worldwide in Oct - Dec 2016?

Why 2016 specifically? If by "official" you mean "publicly known or
announced", you can check sources like:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_Wikipedia

In general, we don't know what the censors are doing. Anomalous patterns
in page views may help identify changes in censorship status, as
famously done by the past study:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:HTTPS_Transition_and_Article_Censorship
https://dash.harvard.edu/handle/1/32741922

I didn't understand what you said about geolocation. I would expect that
to find anomalies you first need to aggregate raw data by some factor
which is already better known that what you're looking for. Geolocation
of IP address ranges by country is usually ok in most cases even with
open databases, although sometimes there are blatant mistakes.

Federico