Blocking policy violation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Blocking policy violation

Mel Gibson
Hello all.  I am writing to this list because I believe the blocking policy
was violated for my account.  Admin Nlu blocked my account due to "personal
attack".  However, there was no such attack whatsoever.  I had comments on
my front page stating, in my opinion, admins who I thought were doing a good
job and admins who were not.  Can anyone look into this for me?  In advance,
I greatly appreciate anyone's assistance.

_________________________________________________________________
Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!
http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/


_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blocking policy violation

Chris Jenkinson
Mel Gibson wrote:
> Hello all.  I am writing to this list because I believe the blocking
> policy was violated for my account.  Admin Nlu blocked my account due to
> "personal attack".  However, there was no such attack whatsoever.  I had
> comments on my front page stating, in my opinion, admins who I thought
> were doing a good job and admins who were not.  Can anyone look into
> this for me?  In advance, I greatly appreciate anyone's assistance.

What account name? Could you link to the block log for the account name
in question?

Chris

--
Chris Jenkinson
[hidden email]

"Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful."
  -- Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blocking policy violation

Sam Korn
On 3/20/06, Chris Jenkinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What account name? Could you link to the block log for the account name
> in question?

Just a thought: if something's more than a day or so old, it has
probably already expired.  I also doubt all these users are
necessarily subscribed.

--
Sam
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blocking policy violation

Chris Jenkinson
Sam Korn wrote:
> Just a thought: if something's more than a day or so old, it has
> probably already expired.  I also doubt all these users are
> necessarily subscribed.

What's the point in approving them then?

Chris

--
Chris Jenkinson
[hidden email]

"Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful."
  -- Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blocking policy violation

Sam Korn
On 3/20/06, Chris Jenkinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sam Korn wrote:
> > Just a thought: if something's more than a day or so old, it has
> > probably already expired.  I also doubt all these users are
> > necessarily subscribed.
>
> What's the point in approving them then?

Some of them might be worth reading, I don't know.  I'll leave it open
to the floor.

--
Sam
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blocking policy violation

Mel Gibson
In reply to this post by Chris Jenkinson
The account name is Marcyu and can be seen at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:Marcyu&action=edit

Admin Nlu claims a personal attack, but he deleted the page permanently so
there is no evidence against the contrary.

-Marc


>From: Chris Jenkinson <[hidden email]>
>Reply-To: English Wikipedia <[hidden email]>
>To: English Wikipedia <[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Blocking policy violation
>Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 00:31:49 +0000
>
>Mel Gibson wrote:
> > Hello all.  I am writing to this list because I believe the blocking
> > policy was violated for my account.  Admin Nlu blocked my account due to
> > "personal attack".  However, there was no such attack whatsoever.  I had
> > comments on my front page stating, in my opinion, admins who I thought
> > were doing a good job and admins who were not.  Can anyone look into
> > this for me?  In advance, I greatly appreciate anyone's assistance.
>
>What account name? Could you link to the block log for the account name
>in question?
>
>Chris
>
>--
>Chris Jenkinson
>[hidden email]
>
>"Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful."
>   -- Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
>_______________________________________________
>WikiEN-l mailing list
>[hidden email]
>To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
>http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
_________________________________________________________________
Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!
http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/


_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blocking policy violation

Mark Ryan
In reply to this post by Chris Jenkinson
On 20/03/06, Chris Jenkinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What's the point in approving them then?
>

It's easier for a list admin to blanket-approve all 30 or so on-topic,
non-spam emails among the thousand or so spam messages than to check
each individual email for its continuing relevance to mailing list
conversations.

~Mark Ryan
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blocking policy violation

Mark Gallagher-5
In reply to this post by Mel Gibson

G'day Marcyu,

> The account name is Marcyu and can be seen at:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:Marcyu&action=edit
>
> Admin Nlu claims a personal attack, but he deleted the page permanently
> so there is no evidence against the contrary.

Ach, that's where you're wrong.  The page hasn't been deleted
permanently, and it's still possible to view what you said.  Let's take
a look ...

   I have decided to become the self-proclaimed policeman of these out of
   control Wikipedia editors.  They have no sense of tolerance,
   diversity, or humility.  Their grammatical and editing skills are
   suspect, to say the least.

You then added a template to your userpage, requesting that it be
deleted.  Finally, and this is just delicious:

   In my own personal opinion and experiences, I have found the following
   admins to be extremely biased, immature, and unprofessional:

   [[User:Nlu|Nlu]]<br>
   [[User:R._Koot|R._Koot]]

   Email me if you want me to add your name to this page as those who
   support the cause of having a voting method to revoke admin powers of
   certain users.  Also email me if you have another admin you would like
   to add to either list (see below) and I'll take a look at their
   history.

   And on the flip side, here is a list of admins I believe to be fair
   and level-headed:

   [[User:Android79|Android79]]<br>
   [[User:Dave_souza|Dave_souza]]

Congratulations to android79 and Dave for making the cut, for what it's
worth.  I'm kinda baffled that you'd say "so-and-so is extremely biased,
immature, and unprofessional", and *then* have the hide to claim that
any block or deletion was unjustified.

I guess you'd hoped that Nlu had covered up not his own actions, but yours.


--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"
- Danger Mouse


--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.385 / Virus Database: 268.2.5/284 - Release Date: 17/03/2006

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blocking policy violation

Mel Gibson
Do the aforementioned comments constitute a personal attack?  As noted, I am
merely stating my opinion.

-Marc


>From: Mark Gallagher <[hidden email]>
>Reply-To: [hidden email],English Wikipedia
><[hidden email]>
>To: English Wikipedia <[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Blocking policy violation
>Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:26:55 +1100>
>
>G'day Marcyu,
>
> > The account name is Marcyu and can be seen at:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:Marcyu&action=edit
> >
> > Admin Nlu claims a personal attack, but he deleted the page permanently
> > so there is no evidence against the contrary.
>
>Ach, that's where you're wrong.  The page hasn't been deleted
>permanently, and it's still possible to view what you said.  Let's take
>a look ...
>
>    I have decided to become the self-proclaimed policeman of these out of
>    control Wikipedia editors.  They have no sense of tolerance,
>    diversity, or humility.  Their grammatical and editing skills are
>    suspect, to say the least.
>
>You then added a template to your userpage, requesting that it be
>deleted.  Finally, and this is just delicious:
>
>    In my own personal opinion and experiences, I have found the following
>    admins to be extremely biased, immature, and unprofessional:
>
>    [[User:Nlu|Nlu]]<br>
>    [[User:R._Koot|R._Koot]]
>
>    Email me if you want me to add your name to this page as those who
>    support the cause of having a voting method to revoke admin powers of
>    certain users.  Also email me if you have another admin you would like
>    to add to either list (see below) and I'll take a look at their
>    history.
>
>    And on the flip side, here is a list of admins I believe to be fair
>    and level-headed:
>
>    [[User:Android79|Android79]]<br>
>    [[User:Dave_souza|Dave_souza]]
>
>Congratulations to android79 and Dave for making the cut, for what it's
>worth.  I'm kinda baffled that you'd say "so-and-so is extremely biased,
>immature, and unprofessional", and *then* have the hide to claim that
>any block or deletion was unjustified.
>
>I guess you'd hoped that Nlu had covered up not his own actions, but yours.
>
>
>--
>Mark Gallagher
>"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"
>- Danger Mouse
>
>
>--
>No virus found in this outgoing message.
>Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>Version: 7.1.385 / Virus Database: 268.2.5/284 - Release Date: 17/03/2006
>
>_______________________________________________
>WikiEN-l mailing list
>[hidden email]
>To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
>http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l

_________________________________________________________________
Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE!
http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blocking policy violation

Mark Gallagher-5

G'day Mercyu,

> Do the aforementioned comments constitute a personal attack?  As
> noted, I am merely stating my opinion.

Yes, "so-and-so is extremely biased, immature, and unprofessional" does
indeed constitute a personal attack.  *Any* statement, however incivil,
however personal, could be described as "merely stating [one's]
opinion", so that won't get you anywhere.


--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"
- Danger Mouse


--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.385 / Virus Database: 268.2.5/284 - Release Date: 17/03/2006

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blocking policy violation

Theresa Knott
In reply to this post by Mel Gibson
On 3/20/06, Mel Gibson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do the aforementioned comments constitute a personal attack?

Yes.

Theresa
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blocking policy violation

SPUI
In reply to this post by Mel Gibson
Mel Gibson wrote:
> The account name is Marcyu and can be seen at:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:Marcyu&action=edit
>
> Admin Nlu claims a personal attack, but he deleted the page permanently
> so there is no evidence against the contrary.

Given that Nlu saw
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:SPUI&diff=44465982&oldid=44465933 
as a personal attack, I'd take his claim with a grain of salt.
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blocking policy violation

Mark Gallagher-5

G'day SPUI,

> Mel Gibson wrote:
>
>>The account name is Marcyu and can be seen at:
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:Marcyu&action=edit
>>
>>Admin Nlu claims a personal attack, but he deleted the page permanently
>>so there is no evidence against the contrary.
>
> Given that Nlu saw
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:SPUI&diff=44465982&oldid=44465933 
> as a personal attack, I'd take his claim with a grain of salt.

Uhh, but we *know* what Marcyu said, and it wasn't "your mother".  See
further on in the thread.

And don't be so snide.  There's people as can pull it off, and people as
can't.


Cheers,

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"
- Danger Mouse


--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.385 / Virus Database: 268.2.5/284 - Release Date: 17/03/2006

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l