Board officers elected; Anthere is Chair!

Board officers elected; Anthere is Chair!

Erik Moeller-4
I have been asked to announce this in my new formal officer role as
Executive Secretary:

The Wikimedia Board met in Frankfurt, Germany on October 22,
immediately following a planning retreat attended by the Board and
more than 20 members of the Wikimedia community.  The Board voted
unanimously to elect Florence Devouard as the Chair of the Board, Tim
Shell as Vice-Chair, Erik Möller as Executive Secretary, and Michael
Davis as Treasurer.  Jimmy Wales assumes the title of Chairman
Emeritus of the Foundation.

Jimmy Wales said: "I nominated Florence to be the chair of the
foundation in recognition of her outstanding service for the past few
years and her unsurpassed passion for our goals.  Having such a
trusted community representative elected as our new chair demonstrates
the growth and strength of our organization."

 - - - -

For reference, the resolution:

The Board resolved that, from the 21 of October and for a term of one
year at most, as defined in the bylaws:

Motion by Jimmy Wales, following discussion, the Board consensus
resulted in the following officers:

   1. Florence Devouard shall be the chair of the board of trustees
   2. Tim Shell shall be the vice-chair
   3. Michael Davis shall be the treasurer
   4. Erik Moeller shall be the executive secretary

Jimmy Wales shall assume the title of Chairman Emeritus of the Foundation.

Approved unanimously at the board meeting - 21 october 2006

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Officers_election_2006

The current legal responsibilities of the different officers of the
Board are defined in the bylaws:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_bylaws
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.

Re: Board officers elected; Anthere is Chair!

Erik Moeller-4
Posting separately, a personal note:

I'm very glad that Anthere was unanimously elected to be the new Chair
of the Wikimedia Foundation. Anyone who has seen and heard her speak
at one of the Wikimania conferences (or at any other) knows that she
can represent the Foundation with incredible passion, intelligence and
charisma. This change of officer roles marks a significant step
forward for Wikimedia as a non-profit governed primarily by members of
its project communities. Nor was this in any way a move against Jimmy;
in fact, it was him who had orchestrated the whole thing. ;-)
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.

Re: Board officers elected; Anthere is Chair!

James Hare
Posting... for the first time, a note on behalf of the Chair of James Hare
(or more accurately, the man sitting on said chair):

So what exactly is the point of all this bureaucracy?

> Posting separately, a personal note:
>
> I'm very glad that Anthere was unanimously elected to be the new Chair
> of the Wikimedia Foundation. Anyone who has seen and heard her speak
> at one of the Wikimania conferences (or at any other) knows that she
> can represent the Foundation with incredible passion, intelligence and
> charisma. This change of officer roles marks a significant step
> forward for Wikimedia as a non-profit governed primarily by members of
> its project communities. Nor was this in any way a move against Jimmy;
> in fact, it was him who had orchestrated the whole thing. ;-)
> --
> Peace & Love,
> Erik
>
> Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
>
> DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
> in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
> position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.

Re: Board officers elected; Anthere is Chair!

Effe iets anders
My congratulations for Florence! I am sure she will be an outstanding
chair. I think it is a good thing that she, as community
representative, is chosen in this role.
Jimbo, thank you for your years as chairman in the WMF board, I hope
that you, as member of the board and chairman emeritus, will stay
actively involved in the Foundation, I am sure the projects will
benefit from that.

Lodewijk

2006/10/27, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>:

> I have been asked to announce this in my new formal officer role as
> Executive Secretary:
>
> The Wikimedia Board met in Frankfurt, Germany on October 22,
> immediately following a planning retreat attended by the Board and
> more than 20 members of the Wikimedia community.  The Board voted
> unanimously to elect Florence Devouard as the Chair of the Board, Tim
> Shell as Vice-Chair, Erik Möller as Executive Secretary, and Michael
> Davis as Treasurer.  Jimmy Wales assumes the title of Chairman
> Emeritus of the Foundation.
>
> Jimmy Wales said: "I nominated Florence to be the chair of the
> foundation in recognition of her outstanding service for the past few
> years and her unsurpassed passion for our goals.  Having such a
> trusted community representative elected as our new chair demonstrates
> the growth and strength of our organization."
>
>  - - - -
>
> For reference, the resolution:
>
> The Board resolved that, from the 21 of October and for a term of one
> year at most, as defined in the bylaws:
>
> Motion by Jimmy Wales, following discussion, the Board consensus
> resulted in the following officers:
>
>    1. Florence Devouard shall be the chair of the board of trustees
>    2. Tim Shell shall be the vice-chair
>    3. Michael Davis shall be the treasurer
>    4. Erik Moeller shall be the executive secretary
>
> Jimmy Wales shall assume the title of Chairman Emeritus of the Foundation.
>
> Approved unanimously at the board meeting - 21 october 2006
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Officers_election_2006
>
> The current legal responsibilities of the different officers of the
> Board are defined in the bylaws:
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_bylaws
> --
> Peace & Love,
> Erik
>
> Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
>
> DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
> in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
> position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.

Board officers elected; Anthere is Chair!

erikzachte
Hurray for Jimbo: a very wise proposal! Jimbo, yesterday I saw the ARTE
documentary again, the one that aired a year ago on your birthday in
Frankfurt. Just splendid. I hope you will find even more time now to sell
the Wikimedia concept to the world. Noone does that more convincingly. I
have not always been on your side lately, but I have to say: you gave the
movement so much already, and now you give it even more: your trust! Which
is difficult for any father of a child that reaches adulthood, and to be
applauded.

Hurray for Anthere: you deserve this so much!

Erik Zachte

Re: Board officers elected; Anthere is Chair!

Jimmy Wales
effe iets anders wrote:
> My congratulations for Florence! I am sure she will be an outstanding
> chair. I think it is a good thing that she, as community
> representative, is chosen in this role.
> Jimbo, thank you for your years as chairman in the WMF board, I hope
> that you, as member of the board and chairman emeritus, will stay
> actively involved in the Foundation, I am sure the projects will
> benefit from that.

Oh yeah, I'm not going anywhere. :)  I am just trying to focus more on
what I do best, and do my own part in helping to move the foundation
toward my vision of us as "the Red Cross for information"... which
means, not centered on one person, not dependent on one person, but a
fully functioning *organization* with many leaders and a healthy culture
for the growth of new leaders over time.

--Jimbo

Erik Zachte wrote:
> Hurray for Jimbo: a very wise proposal! Jimbo, yesterday I saw the ARTE
> documentary again, the one that aired a year ago on your birthday in
> Frankfurt. Just splendid. I hope you will find even more time now to sell
> the Wikimedia concept to the world. Noone does that more convincingly. I
> have not always been on your side lately, but I have to say: you gave the
> movement so much already, and now you give it even more: your trust! Which
> is difficult for any father of a child that reaches adulthood, and to be
> applauded.

Thanks so much for these kind words, and yes.  Selling the concept to
the world is what I do best, and that's what I love to do.  That, and
visiting Wikipedians everywhere, getting to know so many wonderful people.

> Hurray for Anthere: you deserve this so much!

Indeed she does. :)

--Jimbo

Re: Board officers elected; Anthere is Chair!

Damian Finol-2
Jimmy Wales wrote:

> Erik Zachte wrote:
>> Hurray for Jimbo: a very wise proposal! Jimbo, yesterday I saw the ARTE
>> documentary again, the one that aired a year ago on your birthday in
>> Frankfurt. Just splendid. I hope you will find even more time now to sell
>> the Wikimedia concept to the world. Noone does that more convincingly. I
>> have not always been on your side lately, but I have to say: you gave the
>> movement so much already, and now you give it even more: your trust! Which
>> is difficult for any father of a child that reaches adulthood, and to be
>> applauded.
>
> Thanks so much for these kind words, and yes.  Selling the concept to
> the world is what I do best, and that's what I love to do.  That, and
> visiting Wikipedians everywhere, getting to know so many wonderful people.
>
>> Hurray for Anthere: you deserve this so much!
>
> Indeed she does. :)
>
> --Jimbo

Congratulations to all on this new step for the WMF!, I'm very excited
about this new changes and I hope they are indeed for the best.

Speaking of world tours, I wonder if we will see anyone from the WMF
touring South America some time soon? We are a continent too, and I bet
there are tons of people from many South American Countries (Venezuela,
Chile, Argentina, Brazil) that would love to have a regional meeting and
meeting up with the WMF :P.

Regards,
Damian Finol
Maracaibo, Venezuela.

Re: Board officers elected; Anthere is Chair!

Andrew Gray
On 28/10/06, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...helping to move the foundation
> toward my vision of us as "the Red Cross for information"...

I now have visions of people wearing "Bibliothécaires Sans Frontières" t-shirts.

[note to self]

--
- Andrew Gray

Damian Finol wrote:
> Speaking of world tours, I wonder if we will see anyone from the WMF
> touring South America some time soon? We are a continent too, and I bet
> there are tons of people from many South American Countries (Venezuela,
> Chile, Argentina, Brazil) that would love to have a regional meeting and
> meeting up with the WMF :P.

I was in Brazil twice this year, and plan to visit South America again
next year at least once or twice.  I understand that a Venezuelan
chapter may be in the process of forming, and I would love to visit for
a launch event of that...

--Jimbo

Re: Board officers elected; Anthere is Chair!

Gatto Nero
2006/10/28, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]>:

> I was in Brazil twice this year, and plan to visit South America again
> next year at least once or twice.  I understand that a Venezuelan
> chapter may be in the process of forming, and I would love to visit for
> a launch event of that...
>
> --Jimbo

Just to remember: two "Wikimedia IT general meet-up", no Foundation
representative... :D

("Jimbo, come to us. No, to us!")

Re: Board officers elected; Anthere is Chair!

valdelli@bluemail.ch
Considering your new position, dear Jimbo, I think that you will have
more free time to meet Italian and Swiss chapters.

I know that you like good food and good wine and for this reason I
think that you have never known Italy or Switzerland very well
otherwise you would like these regions ;)

We are waiting you.

Ilario^_^

> Speaking of world tours, I wonder if we will see anyone from the
WMF
> touring South America some time soon? We are a continent too, and
I bet
> there are tons of people from many South American Countries
(Venezuela,
> Chile, Argentina, Brazil) that would love to have a regional
meeting and
> meeting up with the WMF :P.

I was in Brazil twice this year, and plan to visit South America
again
next year at least once or twice.  I understand that a Venezuelan
chapter may be in the process of forming, and I would love to visit
for
a launch event of that...

--Jimbo

Re: Board officers elected; Anthere is Chair!

valdelli@bluemail.ch
I don't understand any implication of your post, but IMHO Jimbo is a
person who looks far (very far).

Ilario

Re: Board officers elected; Anthere is Chair!

Oldak
On 28/10/06, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...which
> means, not centered on one person, not dependent on one person, but a
> fully functioning *organization* with many leaders and a healthy culture
> for the growth of new leaders over time.

A great move for the Foundation. Hopefully this will increase the
validity and accountability of the board, allowing it to serve
projects better.

--
Oldak Quill ([hidden email])

Re: Board officers elected; Anthere is Chair!

geni
> The Wikimedia Board met in Frankfurt, Germany on October 22,
> immediately following a planning retreat attended by the Board and
> more than 20 members of the Wikimedia community.  The Board voted
> unanimously to elect Florence Devouard as the Chair of the Board, Tim
> Shell as Vice-Chair, Erik Möller as Executive Secretary, and Michael
> Davis as Treasurer.  Jimmy Wales assumes the title of Chairman
> Emeritus of the Foundation.

Does this mean that jimbo will not be involved in the upcoming
elections in a role other than as a voter?

Such a switch would reflect the chnageing position of arbcom and the
increaseing role of things like community bans.

--
geni

Re: Board officers elected; Anthere is Chair!

Sam Korn
On 11/1/06, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does this mean that jimbo will not be involved in the upcoming
> elections in a role other than as a voter?
>
> Such a switch would reflect the chnageing position of arbcom and the
> increaseing role of things like community bans.

Jimbo's position with regard to en.wp ArbCom is as Jimbo, not as
Chairman of the WMF.  I can't see how this would alter that situation
in the slightest.

--
Sam

On 11/1/06, Sam Korn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Jimbo's position with regard to en.wp ArbCom is as Jimbo, not as
> Chairman of the WMF.  I can't see how this would alter that situation
> in the slightest.
>
> --
> Sam

A shift in power. With the change in board positions the last
justification for his past role is gone. Arbcom's power comes from the
community not from jimbo. You know this. Thus the community should as
much as posible be the final abitor of arbcoms membership.

--
geni

On 01/11/06, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does this mean that jimbo will not be involved in the upcoming
> elections in a role other than as a voter?
> Such a switch would reflect the chnageing position of arbcom and the
> increaseing role of things like community bans.

Jimbo's position on en:wp is somewhat different to his position
regarding any other wiki hosted by the Foundation.

i.e., he's still the local Jimbo.

- d.

Re: Board officers elected; Anthere is Chair!

Erik Moeller-4
On 11/1/06, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A shift in power. With the change in board positions the last
> justification for his past role is gone. Arbcom's power comes from the
> community not from jimbo. You know this. Thus the community should as
> much as posible be the final abitor of arbcoms membership.

This is not a WMF issue - it's an en.wp issue. If you want to question
Jimbo's role there, take it to wikien-l, please. Jimmy's community
role is not an official Wikimedia Foundation role.

There has been some confusion about this in the past; we've discussed
it at the Board retreat. In the future it will be much clearer when
the Board makes any kind of official decision regarding the projects
(which will probably be very rare). Otherwise, what Jimmy can and
cannot do as a community member is up to each community to figure out.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.

Re: Board officers elected; Anthere is Chair!

James Hare
It's like how you have some sort of de facto leadership over Wikinews, right
Erik?

(Pardon me if this statement explodes into a huge debate about Erik's role,
which BY THE WAY is indeed recognized.)