Book Reference Commission

Andrey Fedorov
Hi All,

Apologies in advance if this has been brought up already, but is there any specific reason wikipedia doesn't use book references as a source of income? Personally, and for many others I'm sure, this would make wikipedia a lot more convenient, as a lot of times I'm looking up the same books I buy on Amazon as topics I'm looking up on wikipedia. For example, I recently bought Proofs From The Book, referenced here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schroeder-Bernstein_theorem

Had there been a direct link, I would have saved myself about 10 seconds of opening an Amazon tab and searching for the book, and made Wikipedia a buck or two.

It would also make good sense for there to be a strong correlation between repeat customers on Amazon and frequent visitors on wikipedia (I know I am both...).

Cheers,
Andrey

Re: Book Reference Commission

Angela-5
On 5/11/06, Andrey Fedorov <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Apologies in advance if this has been brought up already, but is there any
> specific reason wikipedia doesn't use book references as a source of income?

It was tried a couple of years ago, but it was very controversial. See
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2004-January/thread.html
for discussion of it and
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2004-January/031632.html
for the reasons the experiment was ended.

Angela.