Quantcast

[Breaking Change] MediaWiki-Vagrant now defaults to Debian Jessie

[Breaking Change] MediaWiki-Vagrant now defaults to Debian Jessie

Bryan Davis
The 'master' branch of MediaWiki-Vagrant will now provision and
maintain Debian Jessie based VMs. The next time you fetch
mediawiki/vagrant.git changes to your laptop or Labs VM and try to run
`vagrant up` or `vagrant provision` it will complain that your Vagrant
managed VM is not running the correct base operating system.

There are two ways to deal with this:

1) Follow the instructions given to delete and recreate your VM. This
is the most awesome long term thing to do, but may be annoying in the
short term. If you have heavily customized the wikis running in your
VM it is up to you to figure out how to backup things before you
destroy your current VM and then restore the changes after you build a
new Jessie-based VM.

2) Switch your git checkout to the 'trusty-compat' branch of
mediawiki/vagrant.git. This trades short term efficiency for long term
pain. The trusty-compat branch is not going away any time soon, but it
will drift out of sync with Puppet changes on the master branch.

See <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T136429> for known issues with
the Jessie conversion. The only two I'm aware of at this time are
related to fundraising (T154264) and an NFS permissions mapping
problem when installing ChangeProp on a VM with OSX as the host
operating system and NFS shares enabled for Vagrant (T158617).

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA

Re: [Engineering] [Breaking Change] MediaWiki-Vagrant now defaults to Debian Jessie

Marielle Volz-2
Another known issue is that Zotero doesn't work on Jessie because of its
dependency on a now deprecated Mozilla library called XULrunner [1], and as
a result citoid results will be a lot poorer. I'm not sure we ever really
resolved how to deal with this. Zotero is going to be removing the
dependency on XULrunner eventually, but I suspect our timeline is
significantly ahead of theirs. We discussed using Zotero's translators
ourselves natively, but never made any progress on it.[2]