Brian Wolff's summer gig, with Wikimedia!

Brian Wolff's summer gig, with Wikimedia!

Rob Lanphier-4
Hi everyone,

Many of you already know Brian Wolff, who has been a steady
contributor to MediaWiki in the the past several years (User:Bawolff),
having gotten a start during Google Summer of Code 2010[1].

Brian is back for another summer working with us, working generally to
improve our multimedia contribution and review pipeline.  In addition
to his normal GMail address, he's also available at
[hidden email], and is on Freenode as bawolff.

Welcome Brian! (again! \o/)

Rob

[1]  Signpost article on Brian's contribution for GSoC 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2010-08-23/Technology_report#Google_Summer_of_Code:_Brian_Wolff

Re: Brian Wolff's summer gig, with Wikimedia!

Roan Kattouw-2
On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Rob Lanphier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Many of you already know Brian Wolff, who has been a steady
> contributor to MediaWiki in the the past several years (User:Bawolff),
> having gotten a start during Google Summer of Code 2010[1].
>
> Brian is back for another summer working with us, working generally to
> improve our multimedia contribution and review pipeline.  In addition
> to his normal GMail address, he's also available at
> [hidden email], and is on Freenode as bawolff.
>
> Welcome Brian! (again! \o/)

Awesome! Welcome, Brian!

Roan

Re: Brian Wolff's summer gig, with Wikimedia!

Platonides
Rob Lanphier wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Many of you already know Brian Wolff, who has been a steady
> contributor to MediaWiki in the the past several years (User:Bawolff),
> having gotten a start during Google Summer of Code 2010[1].
>
> Brian is back for another summer working with us, working generally to
> improve our multimedia contribution and review pipeline.  In addition
> to his normal GMail address, he's also available at
> [hidden email], and is on Freenode as bawolff.
>
> Welcome Brian! (again! \o/)
>
> Rob

I guess this simply means that WMF has contracted Bawolff. If it wasn't
for the email bit, I would had thought in a GSoC-like program.

Re: Brian Wolff's summer gig, with Wikimedia!

Matthew Flaschen-2
On 06/03/2013 03:50 PM, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> Brian is back for another summer working with us, working generally to
> improve our multimedia contribution and review pipeline.  In addition
> to his normal GMail address, he's also available at
> [hidden email], and is on Freenode as bawolff.

That's great to hear.

Matt Flaschen

Re: Brian Wolff's summer gig, with Wikimedia!

James Alexander-4
Someone else can very much correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is
that the difference is that this is as a normal contractor in that he's
doing what is directed/needed rather then an accepted project on his own
under a mentor like GSoC.

James Alexander
Legal and Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rob Lanphier wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Many of you already know Brian Wolff, who has been a steady
> > contributor to MediaWiki in the the past several years (User:Bawolff),
> > having gotten a start during Google Summer of Code 2010[1].
> >
> > Brian is back for another summer working with us, working generally to
> > improve our multimedia contribution and review pipeline.  In addition
> > to his normal GMail address, he's also available at
> > [hidden email], and is on Freenode as bawolff.
> >
> > Welcome Brian! (again! \o/)
> >
> > Rob
>
> I guess this simply means that WMF has contracted Bawolff. If it wasn't
> for the email bit, I would had thought in a GSoC-like program.

Re: Brian Wolff's summer gig, with Wikimedia!

Greg Grossmeier-2
<quote name="Rob Lanphier" date="2013-06-03" time="12:50:12 -0700">

> Welcome Brian! (again! \o/)

Welcome indeed!

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Re: Brian Wolff's summer gig, with Wikimedia!

Rob Lanphier-4
On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 2:29 PM, James Alexander
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Someone else can very much correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is
> that the difference is that this is as a normal contractor in that he's
> doing what is directed/needed rather then an accepted project on his own
> under a mentor like GSoC.

James is indeed correct.  Brian is working as any other member of the
professional staff would, just with a known end date when he heads
back to school.

Rob